Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Titans score thrilling upset over Dragons
    Adam Gardini

A sneaky extra time field goal by Mat Rogers has landed the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans a thrilling 11-10 golden point win over the St George Illawarra Dragons at Win Jubilee Stadium tonight.

Rogers landed an 89th minute field goal from dummy half to secure the Titans a much needed victory which keeps them inside the top eight with six games of the regular season remaining.

The result marks the first ever win by a Gold Coast team at WIN Jubilee Stadium.

The Titans trailed 10-6 at halftime after being on the wrong end of a
    7-2 penalty count in a tough opening 40 minutes.

But a second half try to winger Kevin Gordon levelled the scores and saw the game ultimately head into golden point.

The Titans had three failed field goal attempts during extra time and the Dragons missed two, before Rogers landed the killer blow with less than one minute remaining.

Backrower Anthony Laffranchi opened the scoring with an early try to give the visitors a 6-nil lead

The Dragons bounced back through a try to Ben Creagh after the decision was sent to the video referee.

The home side edged ahead courtesy of a penalty goal and extended that lead to four points just before halftine when they were awarded a penalty after being disallowed a try.

However, the Titans held the Dragons scoreless in the second half to score a pivotal victory over the competition favourites ahead of next weekend's tough away trip to New Zealand to take on the Warriors.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    the Titans held the Dragons scoreless in the second half
    I forgot about that part. Keeping the Dragons scoreless in the second half...........Amazing, considering our second half performances of late.

Default Nice Move

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    You farkin' beauty...3 from 3........
    You need to have faith, you boof head. But anyway can keep tipping against them for the rest of the year it seems to be working in our favor.

Sure Walker didn't have the best night. But neither did Boyd.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

What is classed as a missed tackle? We supposedly missed 43 tackles tonight? If we did then more credit to the boys..coz 43 missed tackles against the team leading the comp by 4 points and to still beat them is absolutely awesome!.......Maybe an airswing is a missed tackle?

......on another note...I got cranky with Lafranchi (poetry in motion there) in the first half coz of the 3 penalties he gave away (all good now Anthony) .......and until I see the replay I cannot remember seeing a penalty in the second half at all......at least not in the back half.

I'll post these all night. I got plenty of beer in the fridge. I love my Titans. Watch presto fly.....................

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/

Game-breaker Rogers celebrates 'a first' after putting the boot into Dragons

MAT ROGERS said he kicked a few field goals when he switched to rugby union but last night he kicked what he thinks is his first NRL field goal to give the Titans a crucial 11-10 golden-point victory against the Dragons.

With just 50 seconds of extra time to play and the score locked at 10-10, Rogers, who does not have a contract for next season, stepped to his left from dummy-half instead of passing to usual field goal kicker Scott Prince and knocked the ball over the crossbar with his natural left foot from straight in front and about 10 metres out.

The kick ended a three-game losing streak for the Titans and kept them in the top eight.

Rogers, 34, is an NRL veteran who made his first-grade debut, for Cronulla, in 1995.

''I think it's my first [rugby league] field goal, I might have kicked one back in under-21s,'' he said.

''I kicked a few in rugby, but I've got my first field goal in rugby league. It's only taken 17 years. Rugby days had nothing to do with it. I was two metres out and right in front and if I'd missed that one, far out, I wouldn't have heard the end of it.''

''I was meant to hit [half-back Prince] with a pass, but I knew they wouldn't pop out to the left, they wouldn't have been thinking, 'Oh, Rogers is a left footer, he'll step out', and I did and it worked. I knew they weren't looking at me, they were thinking Princey all day.

''I'm so pumped for these boys. We've been written off a bit, no one's given us a chance, and there's so much belief in this room. We fought for each other and we came away with a result.''

Rogers normally plays centre but was happy with his performance last night at five-eighth, filling in for Greg Bird, who has a hamstring injury.

He was also very happy with the Titans' effort in keeping the Dragons scoreless in the second half and extra time.

''I think our completions were probably the best they have been all year, which helps. You're not having to defend you line as much, but when we did have to defend our line I thought we were brilliant. The talk was great. We just beat the top side on their home deck on a Friday night and it doesn't get much better than that.''

Rogers left league to play union in 2002 before returning to league with the Titans in 2007.

He is off contract at the end of this year and his future is still uncertain. He said he would make an announcement in the next few weeks, but isn't certain he has a future with the Titans, given his age and salary cap restraints.

''I love the club but I have got to be a realist,'' he said. ''I'll have a chat with [managing director Michael Searle] next week. There might be an opportunity there so we'll have to see."

Source: SMH

So its all roses and fairy floss around here now the boys get up.

Well done Titans

OUR MOMENT OF GLORY.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    So its all roses and fairy floss around here now the boys get up.
    Enjoying the good times is what supporting a team is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Game-breaker Rogers celebrates 'a first' after putting the boot into Dragons

MAT ROGERS said he kicked a few field goals when he switched to rugby union but last night he kicked what he thinks is his first NRL field goal to give the Titans a crucial 11-10 golden-point victory against the Dragons.

With just 50 seconds of extra time to play and the score locked at 10-10, Rogers, who does not have a contract for next season, stepped to his left from dummy-half instead of passing to usual field goal kicker Scott Prince and knocked the ball over the crossbar with his natural left foot from straight in front and about 10 metres out.

The kick ended a three-game losing streak for the Titans and kept them in the top eight.

Rogers, 34, is an NRL veteran who made his first-grade debut, for Cronulla, in 1995.

''I think it's my first [rugby league] field goal, I might have kicked one back in under-21s,'' he said.

''I kicked a few in rugby, but I've got my first field goal in rugby league. It's only taken 17 years. Rugby days had nothing to do with it. I was two metres out and right in front and if I'd missed that one, far out, I wouldn't have heard the end of it.''

''I was meant to hit [half-back Prince] with a pass, but I knew they wouldn't pop out to the left, they wouldn't have been thinking, 'Oh, Rogers is a left footer, he'll step out', and I did and it worked. I knew they weren't looking at me, they were thinking Princey all day.

''I'm so pumped for these boys. We've been written off a bit, no one's given us a chance, and there's so much belief in this room. We fought for each other and we came away with a result.''

Rogers normally plays centre but was happy with his performance last night at five-eighth, filling in for Greg Bird, who has a hamstring injury.

He was also very happy with the Titans' effort in keeping the Dragons scoreless in the second half and extra time.

''I think our completions were probably the best they have been all year, which helps. You're not having to defend you line as much, but when we did have to defend our line I thought we were brilliant. The talk was great. We just beat the top side on their home deck on a Friday night and it doesn't get much better than that.''

Rogers left league to play union in 2002 before returning to league with the Titans in 2007.

He is off contract at the end of this year and his future is still uncertain. He said he would make an announcement in the next few weeks, but isn't certain he has a future with the Titans, given his age and salary cap restraints.

''I love the club but I have got to be a realist,'' he said. ''I'll have a chat with [managing director Michael Searle] next week. There might be an opportunity there so we'll have to see."

Source: SMH
    Not your first in League, Mat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_St..._Origin_series

Junior Titan

What a great game, the titans always show so much enthusiasm, its a shame they didn't keep there top of the ladder lead. Its just payback to the dragons for what they did to us up here.

Anyone know if they like welcome home things when they get off the plane?
    Go the Titans!

Quote Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
    Go for it, they would love it!

Congrats Titans, what a great game!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
    When are they flying home?? Anyone know? Would love to be there after such an awesome game and a great (and very much needed) win!

Banned

we now have the 5 game win streak of new zealand and another back end of year pf the HAYNE TRAIN resurgence, im more confident we would beat nz over parra, but we have the best record against parra :]