Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Rep Player

Only a drooling moron would want us to miss the 8 out of spite for… I don’t know what reason. Used to being a loser I guess? Stockholm Syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Only a drooling moron would want us to miss the 8 out of spite for… I don’t know what reason. Used to being a loser I guess? Stockholm Syndrome?
    It's a bit of a double-edge sword to making the 8 for me. We make the 8 and what comes with it? Bragging rights? Experience for our squad as someone else said? Though I do note, the one year we did make the 8 under Henry, we haven't made it since.

The other side says we make the 8, get flogged and then that is somehow spun as being a successful year for us when in reality we were not only playing better football at this time last year, but given the amount of home games we were allowed to have this year because of COVID, we really should have been certainties anyway. There really were no excuses for us this year given the way it all panned out. NONE, and yet, we only just manage to scrape in.

If we can't beat Newcastle next week though (another Newcastle home game which we have the luxury of not having to travel away for), then that just confirms that this team will have regressed, since we've beaten them the last two times we've played them and they haven't gotten any better. I don't rate them at all.

That's why I really don't care either way. If we make it, cool. I'll still cheer on my team. But if we don't, whatever. We probably never deserved to anyway.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 21-08-21 at 12:50 AM.

I think Brailey/Pearce/Clifford/Ponga out-point us by a lot in every position where it counts, so beating them would be a worthy notch. As far as not making finals is concerned, personally sitting out another long off-season of debate as beaten finalists is my preference over not raising our colors. The whole world knows our short-comings which aren’t quite as bad as about eight other clubs. Even if the competition was much closer, two teams will bow out in week 1 no matter how many games won previously nor points differential nor talent depth nor experience nor selection, etc.
    Last edited by Titanic; 21-08-21 at 02:54 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Yeah I don’t get the vitriol we need to be playing finals
    Footy. Yeah it’s alright to build for the future but fans and sponsors don’t turn up for sub par teams. Doesn’t matter if people think we deserve to make the 8 or not. That needs to be the goal every season. I don’t care if we are lucky, I don’t care if there is a more deserving team. I want us to make the 8 and then it all resets. You never know what can happen in the finals we just need to be there. Finals is a “C-“ grade for us this year

Inactive User

Titanic was right
    Turd Polishing is a way of life around here

I’m not repeating what I said 3 weeks ago about why I see making the 8 with a substantial losing record is detrimental

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Titanic was right

I’m not repeating what I said 3 weeks ago about why I see making the 8 with a substantial losing record is detrimental
    Maybe Melbourne is the team you need to switch to if all you want is records. We have had the same opportunities as every other team that is below or above us. We make the 8 it's because we made the 8. Didn't we make the 8 last time when Parra had their points stripped. This would make this a more honest 8 for me.

Sponsors and TV and better games/scheduling next year are reason enough for me not to death ride us.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Maybe Melbourne is the team you need to switch to if all you want is records. We have had the same opportunities as every other team that is below or above us. We make the 8 it's because we made the 8. Didn't we make the 8 last time when Parra had their points stripped. This would make this a more honest 8 for me.

Sponsors and TV and better games/scheduling next year are reason enough for me not to death ride us.
    Except those NSW teams below us haven't had the same opportunities as us this year. They haven't even been allowed back home for the past 2 months. The Warriors for almost 2 years. And yet, even with all the signings and hype that was surrounding us in the off-season, we've somehow managed to squander it. Like I said, I'll be happy if we make the 8 but given the circumstances I'll still be struggling to mark it down as being a successful year, that is of course we pull of a miracle in finals week 1 (if we make it).
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 21-08-21 at 09:25 AM.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post

I want to build our team towards a premiership and celebrating a losing season would not help that aim.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Titanic was right

You can repeat it and it will be just as dumb.

None of the teams currently placed 7-16 deserve to make the 8 any more than us. Every one of those teams has its issues. What making the 8 would do for us would at least give us a small amount of credibility and optimism that would feed into the psyche of the playing group and help us retain players like Tino. I’m not sure if you saw him pounding the ground in frustration when the full time siren went on Thursday. It reminded me of Arrow busting his guts and looking devastated when we lost. Remind me again what happened to him?

I think making the 8 would do us all good. It has been few and far between and even if we go out in the first week it will be a good feeling for once. Ok we weren't great this year but let us have a bit of joy that we rarely get.
    Psmitty

Rep Player

So panthers would of been stoked last year even though they lost in the finals they had an amazing record? If your goal isn’t to make the finals then you need to give up as a club. It’s a new season come round 1 of the finals. You are only as good as your record that week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    I think making the 8 would do us all good. It has been few and far between and even if we go out in the first week it will be a good feeling for once. Ok we weren't great this year but let us have a bit of joy that we rarely get.
    100%

C’mon guys put it into perspective … we will once more finish higher than the ‘Ponies … that makes it a successful season for me.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    C’mon guys put it into perspective … we will once more finish higher than the ‘Ponies … that makes it a successful season for me.
    Absolutely!!!
    It’s a viewpoint of a couple of us. No need to get all offended and insulting.

Rep Player

I think until as a club the expectation of finals is the absolute minimum then we will always be the same shambles of a team with no respect or credibility in the league. I don’t see that viewpoint as outrageous

Just assume the Titans make the 8 and play Manly in the first week and through injury they are without DCE and Tommy T. Would the Titans be a chance in that game? Absolutely they would even though that is unlikely to happen. It certainly won't happen if you don't give yourselves the chance to be there.
    If it it did happen I can see people saying the Titans were lucky to get to week two of the finals.
    My point is put ourselves in the position to maximise any opportunities. It's better than the players sitting on their bums at the beach.