Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Oh for sure! I only looked at those off contract end of 2022
    I thought King was off contract but I just checked and he re-signed with the Dogs for 2 more years

Because they appreciate him … hated seeing him go.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Nathan Brown dropped and given permission to leave by the Eels. Seems to have regressed this year and is a bit of a grub but he could bring us some of the mongrel and defensive aggression that we really need

Sorry guys just realised I shouldve put this in the signings thread
    Last edited by Titslover; 16-06-22 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titslover View Post
    Nathan Brown dropped and given permission to leave by the Eels. Seems to have regressed this year and is a bit of a grub but he could bring us some of the mongrel and defensive aggression that we really need
    I wouldn’t mind him for the rest of the year. Maybe the next Greg Bird for us ??
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Like him too ... loved Bird.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Treymain Spry has returned to Titans HQ in good spirits after recovering from an off-field incident earlier in the year.

Being given the green light to resume light duties on the training field, the 22-year-old has begun a modified program under an extended train-and-trial deal, with an intent to return to contact training and game play by the end of the season.

Such good news.

See: http://https://www.titans.com.au/new...-at-titans-hq/

Rep Player

That's great news ALX25

Revealed: Brisbane Broncos salary cap squeeze that blocked Jahrome Hughes signing

One of the game’s superstars was shopped to the Broncos before the deal fell through, the star’s manager has revealed.
    Peter Badel
    Peter Badel
    Follow
    @badel_cmail
    6 min read
    June 17, 2022 - 6:00AM
    News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
    20 comments

03:02
    Brisbane back Reynolds despite injuries
    NRL: The Brisbane Broncos still have full faith in their captain Adam Reynolds despite an ongoing injury crisis for the experienced halfback.
    View more related videos
    Jahrome Hughes’ manager has revealed the champion Melbourne halfback was offered to the Broncos to spearhead Brisbane’s planned revival under coach Kevin Walters.
    The classy Hughes and five-eighth partner Cameron Munster will be key men for the Storm as Melbourne bank on their all-star halves to snap Brisbane’s seven-match winning streak in the top-four showdown on Friday night at AAMI Park.

But Hughes could have easily been in Broncos colours, with the Kiwi Test ace shopped to Brisbane bosses, just weeks after he piloted the Storm to their premiership win over the Panthers in the 2020 NRL grand final.

Hughes’ agent Tas Bartlett confirmed the then newly-minted premiership playmaker, off-contract at the time, was serious about joining the Broncos, only for a possible move to collapse due to salary-cap pressures and Brisbane’s administrative upheaval.

In a Sliding Doors moment, the Broncos eventually signed Souths halfback Adam Reynolds, while Hughes has gone on to ink a four-year upgrade that will likely see him finish his career at the Storm.

“I actually offered Jahrome to the Broncos,” said Bartlett of PSM.

“It was in November 2020 and the Broncos were in a bit of uncertainty.

“Kevin Walters had just started as coach and they were sorting out a new CEO, so a lot of roster and recruitment decisions had been put on hold.

“Jahrome had just won a premiership at the Storm and I’m not sure if the Broncos felt he was out of their budget, but Dave Donaghy (current Broncos CEO and ex-Storm boss) knew Jahrome from Melbourne.

“If he was in the driver’s seat as Broncos CEO, I think he would have signed Jahrome in a heartbeat.”

Donaghy started at the Broncos on May 1 last year. Two weeks later, the Broncos signed Reynolds to a three-year deal worth $800,000 a season, the very salary Brisbane’s previous management baulked at when they were offered the services of Hughes.

“At the time, the Broncos hadn’t signed Adam Reynolds and Hughesy was coming off-contract,” Bartlett said.

“We met with the Titans and we spoke to the Warriors and the Broncos. Jahrome was open to coming back to Queensland because he was looking to settle on the Gold Coast and I thought the Titans or Broncos could have been a good fit.

Who would be your prefered halfback for the Broncos?

“The Titans never made it to the stage of making an offer and the Broncos said they couldn’t afford $800,000 for Jahrome at the time. But on reflection, it would have been good value, especially as Jahrome is four years younger than Reynolds.

“Jahrome was absolutely serious about joining the Broncos or Titans. Since that time, Jahrome has become entrenched in Melbourne’s senior playing group and he has just signed a long-term deal to finish his career with the club.”

Hughes says he can’t be happier at the Storm and has relished the mentoring of coach Craig Bellamy in his career-defining switch to succeed Cooper Cronk in the Melbourne No.7 jumper.

“I have got a lot of help to move into this position,” Hughes said.

“Craig simplified the job for me. He didn’t want me to change my game too much, he just wanted me to change positions and add a few things to my game with my kicking.

“Cooper Cronk helped me a lot in that area and Cameron Smith was still playing when I first made the transition, so he made my job easier.

“It seemed like a big move but personally I didn’t feel it was too hard because Craig did a lot for me to succeed at halfback.

“My strength is my running game and I still make that the major part of what I do. I am still learning more as a playmaker and adding more attributes to become a better halfback.”

Not sure how I feel about all this. Sliding door moment I feel.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

If we had the money it's a club defining moment of idiocy. If we didn't have the money till this season coming then it is what it is.

We have ear marked Sexton as our future which I have repeatable said will be a disaster.
    Just look at the speed of the 2 halfbacks in last nights Storm-Broncos game and it’s easy to see how speed is a critical component on a halfbacks influence in a game.
    I don’t want to bash-up Sexton but I do want us to be successful and the club has got this totally wrong IMO.
    I’m sure if Fogarty was a bit quicker he’d still be leading us around the park and pretty sure Fogs is quicker than this guy.

I think there’s a fair bit of the old adage that Hurricane can see a lot of himself in this kid...slow as a wet wig and I wonder if Hurricane ran around in circles as well?

Fogarty wasn’t let go because he wasn’t quick..he was let go because his ceiling wasn’t much higher than Sexton’s floor. Let’s not forget how poorly he was regarded in here during our 2021 season.

We’re losing games because of many reasons but Sexton’s speed problem isn’t even near the top of that list IMO

HS blind Freddy can see we have many problems and we are going backwards and further more there is no way in hell this regime can turn this Titanic around. We are bloody sugar coating and I’ve had an absolute gut full of the incompetence of this club's decision making or lack there of.

I’m actually happy to lose games right now with an eye on the future (Bods five year plan) but for things to fall into place you have to make the right decisions or if you make an error identify it early and rectify it in a timely manner.

In hindsight, the writing was on wall last year for me when Hurricane kept picking Taylor and I was raising the damage it was bringing to the club (brand etc). So it turns out this wasn’t anomaly after all but was in fact Hurricane’s underbelly starting to surface.

This brings me back to Sexton and I’’d compare him to Valley’s old halfback Brett Daunt (one for you DH) who could organise a team like a beauty and kick very well but his potential in the game was always limited by his snails pace (sorry Duanty it’s true).
    The other major is Tino as captain and yes I know some of you guys are passionate about this and there may not be alternatives at present but Tino doesn’t even talk when the boys are huddled behind the gaol posts let alone any other time on the field (this is a must for a captain for mine). Have a look at the following link and it shows a good example of a captain’s influence.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/l...captain!828237

So I’m just highlighting some early building flaws that will provide a defunct foundation moving forward IMO so blow it up and start again with a tried and proven coach.
    And hurry up before every last fan has gone to the Phins
    Last edited by RavShamrock; 18-06-22 at 10:46 AM.

Rep Player

Why the obsession with a fast halfback? That’s what your 5/8 is for. I’ll take a game manager with a good boot over a running halfback any day of the week. Yes, Jahrome Hughes has worked out at 7 for the Storm, but there are a lot of other factors there. He’s playing under one of the greatest coaches of all time in an incredible system with a game managing 5/8 in Munster. Hughes is an exception not the rule. Reynolds, Cronk, Thurston, none of them were particularly fast. Like Jack Gibson said, it’s the speed between the ears that matters most. Granted, I haven’t yet seen that from Toby, but he’s still a rookie. If he can learn to read the defence better, dig into the line more, and setup his centres and second rowers with line break assists, then his own speed is irrelevant.

Junior

True, Thurston wasn’t Thurston till he was like 26, had plenty of games under his belt and had gone through the hard times.

Wilhelm you're missing the point - I'm not suggesting 7's need to be express but rather they need enough tow to create opportunity or take opportunity. IMO you actually strengthen my position by outlining that he needs to dig into the line more which will never happen successfully as he doesn’t attract defenders because the defence knows he will almost always pass as he can’t take the largest gap so Sexton going to the line is defunct for himself and the men around him (not to mention the level of required speed has now increased under the new rules).

Mate just watching his little couple of kicks and chase last week was cringe worthy at best…it’s flogging a dead horse IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Sexton is actually at the other end of the spectrum and that is express slow which is more my point.