Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: Searle

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    WARNING: This has turned into an essay...

Toads is 100% spot on. We keep hearing this talk that there is player unrest as a result of the way that Friend and Laffranchi were treated. Player turnover is a fact of life at any club and the fact of the matter is that we did not lose one player that wasn't either a fringe first grader or the wrong side of 30. Every club in the comp loses important players but only the weak teams let it affect their performance:
    - Manly kept it all together when club legend Steve Menzies was forced out due to salary cap restraints.
    - Brisbane kept it together a few seasons back when Petero was forced out in far more ruthless manner than Friend was and he was a current QLD / AUS rep.
    - Don't even get me started on the way the Storm have kept it together.
    - St George kept it together when Gasnier was forced out mid-year by failed 3rd party payments.

If our demise is a result of players unrest because of signings then they should be moved on as well. They are representing a region that was starved of football for the best part of a decade. A region who up until this pathetic year have supported them 100% thanks to their working class values of grit and determination, values that up until our entry to the comp were never associated with a region seen as 'plastic', 'transient' and 'soul-less'. (Hello GC Suns but that's another story...)

And now in the space of 20 shameless weeks the team has lost all that hard won respect and have simply validated the opinion of large chunks of the football community that GC teams are rubbish. Ask friends who support other teams, I'll bet that most of them were more surprised by the Titans 2010 than they are by our 2011.

'Attitude reflects leadership' - Remember the Titans (What an apt movie to take a quote from...)

Coaster touched on leadership and he too is 100% correct. I'm not close to the club but it is obvious that the leadership group has failed. I am not willing to spare any of the coaching staff from my criticism, nor am I willing to spare any of the senior players. It is clear that the likes of Prince, Bailey, Harrison, Bird, Campbell, Zillman, Minichello (that's some list of players to be collecting a wooden spoon!!!!) are completely incapable of recognising performance issues and rectifying them. It is also clear that the coaching group is incapable of turning a problem around once it has started to turn.

I have not cooled down since Sunday. I am no less disgusted by the teams performance and I am even more concerned by the fact that there is no heat on anyone at all from our local media. I beat Dean Bailey (Melbourne D's) or the Adelaide Crows coach (can't remember his name) or Moore from the Canterbury Bulldogs wish they got the sort of run in the media that our coaches are getting. All of those teams are having far better seasons than we are and yet their fans and clubs saw fit to replace them as a result of poor performance.

I am not suggesting we should axe everybody but I do want to see some pressure on the these people to perform. Give them some on-field KPI's in the last 5 weeks and if the team can't hit them they are gone.

'If you always do what you've always done - you'll always get what you've always got'.
    I don't see anyway that we can succeed in 2012, even with an improved list, if we have the same stale people running the show.
    very well said. the onfield "leaders" need to lead by example and the whole playing group need to have an inhouse truth session. only by being honest with themselves will they have a hope of salvaging some lost pride and respect this year.

I cannot understand how the poor performances have escaped a public damning. Those of us who have lived through, fought for and eventually been silenced by the various reincarnations of Gold Coast franchises feel the frustration more, I suppose.

When do we get accountability? How can we so readily accept the off-handed approach to the supporter base? Last year, was last year and last week, was last week but can we watch this week's game with the expectation of anything new? A new game plan, some innovation, some new-found heart? No we can't ... just the same old same old.

Am I a Titans supporter? Yes, I am but I am a Gold Coast man first and have been since 1955. When we get the wooden implement I will not be crying or slashing my wrists, it's only a game. However, when I think of the claptrap served-up as being representative of rugby league on the Gold Coast I can only feel embarrassed.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    it got me buggered to where the impression that he got shafted by Titans Management comes from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Toads is right in my opinion too. I think Friend, worthy player that he was for us, made his bed last year when he held out for more bucks and then tried it on again this year.
    Toads is 100% spot on. We keep hearing this talk that there is player unrest as a result of the way that Friend and Laffranchi were treated. Player turnover is a fact of life at any club and the fact of the matter is that we did not lose one player that wasn't either a fringe first grader or the wrong side of 30.
    'Attitude reflects leadership' - Remember the Titans (What an apt movie to take a quote from...)

Coaster touched on leadership and he too is 100% correct.

It is clear that the likes of Prince, Bailey, Harrison, Bird, Campbell, Zillman, Minichello (that's some list of players to be collecting a wooden spoon!!!!) are completely incapable of recognising performance issues and rectifying them. It is also clear that the coaching group is incapable of turning a problem around once it has started to turn.

I am not suggesting we should axe everybody but I do want to see some pressure on the these people to perform. Give them some on-field KPI's in the last 5 weeks and if the team can't hit them they are gone.

'If you always do what you've always done - you'll always get what you've always got'.
    I don't see anyway that we can succeed in 2012, even with an improved list, if we have the same stale people running the show.
    Ok, at risk of getting flamed, I'll say Coaster, Toads, Titannic, Karnage et al, have got it wrong on a number of points, and I wonder if they can see the irony in their arguments.

Let's take the emotion out of the argument. If we keep firing off shots in all direction, every time things don't go right, we won't get anywhere. Sort of like every week everyone wants/wanted to change half the team around. Achieves nothing except giving the appearance of making "positive" changes, but they are, in fact, negative changes. If every time someone doesn't perform they get dropped, hardly inspires confidence does it?

Anyway, back to the "Friendy" issue. If we look back over Karnages last essay, Titanics post, Toad, Coaster and others, we will see that the sort of player with the sort of performance, the sort of attitude they allude to, was in fact the exact sort of effort and performance Nathan Friend put in EVERY WEEK, for the FULL 80 MINUTES. He led from the front, he had the sort of leadership that inspired those around him, he was a work-a-holic, etc, etc.

From what i have heard, and others know more about it than me obviously, they let him go because they didn't want to pay up around $280k, which is less than what NZ did. But we are prepared to pay $400k for Idris who we didn't even need.

Have a look at your posts, and every time you ask for better leadership, more responsibility, more effort etc, ask yourself, isn't that exactly what Nathan Friend was giving? Every week. For 80 minutes?

So, who else would any of you suggest is playing better, is worth more money, or has more influence on how the team performs than what Friendy did?

To the best of my knowledge, Friendys fate was signed sealed and delivered. Before Idris's deal saw light of day? If that's the case, I fail to see the comparison you're trying to make.

That's a good point C-Whiz and it's well made. Friend did embody all of those positive atributes but he has been out all year due to injury, not for any other reason. We completed an entire pre-season without him. Surely the teams other leaders should have got together and ensured they were structured to deal with his omission. That we have failed to cover his absence makes the case against the coaches and senior player stronger in my opinion.

The fact that he has not been resigned is another matter entirely.

Good point Whiz but in defence of the club: they didn't make any disparaging comments when he twice, two years in a row, publicly commented about his raw deal ... sure, that's his right and as I've mentioned previously good luck to him.

And sure he put in every week 80 minutes or better (if there's such a thing) but that doesn't necessarily make him a leader ... that makes him a good footballer who feels his value is worth more than the management does ... that can never be solved except by everybody agreeing to disagree in some way.

But back on topic, I don't blame him for the team's form slump at all ... I just don't think he's the fair-haired lad that many on here suggest, except on the field.

I will add though, considering the current coaching/selection/management roller-coaster, the Warriors probably look pretty good from his point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    From what i have heard, and others know more about it than me obviously, they let him go because they didn't want to pay up around $280k, which is less than what NZ did. But we are prepared to pay $400k for Idris who we didn't even need.

Have a look at your posts, and every time you ask for better leadership, more responsibility, more effort etc, ask yourself, isn't that exactly what Nathan Friend was giving? Every week. For 80 minutes?

So, who else would any of you suggest is playing better, is worth more money, or has more influence on how the team performs than what Friendy did?
    Would an off-contract Srama be happy to sit out first grade for the next two years because we resigned Friend, an 80-minute player? I don't see it as choosing Idris over Friend. I see it as choosing Srama over Friend, and from what we've see of Srama this year, I think it was a good choice.

Friend is a great player, don't get me wrong. He's a player that will be missed when he leaves. But he was always going to leave. Whether it was next year, or in three when he retires, we were going to have an issue at some stage. I think right now we are well placed to handle it.

You know something? From all the comments on the last three pages you all have merit in what you say. You are all hurting with the way our team has performed this year. We have a great roster. We have have also lost a few with injury. There are also a couple of younger players that have stepped up to first grade and they are still raw. They need this year under their belt and will be even better next year. We have a few good players coming to the club next year. That has got to be at least helping to make you a little excited for 2012 onwards. Most clubs go through what we are going through. If you all could just see some positives, I suppose, the same as the players, it just might instill some positive attitude and good vibes leading into next years footy season. One season (2011) does not spell doomsday.
    My thoughts are just that .. my thoughts. I don't profess to know everything about this great game of ours, Rugby League, but I do have eyes and I know what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    Would an off-contract Srama be happy to sit out first grade for the next two years because we resigned Friend, an 80-minute player? I don't see it as choosing Idris over Friend. I see it as choosing Srama over Friend, and from what we've see of Srama this year, I think it was a good choice.

Friend is a great player, don't get me wrong. He's a player that will be missed when he leaves. But he was always going to leave. Whether it was next year, or in three when he retires, we were going to have an issue at some stage. I think right now we are well placed to handle it.
    The way I see it, Srama wasn't going to get a look in this year until injuries forced Carty's hand. I remember an article from before Srama was selected where it was said he wasn't ready. That is when they were still shopping around for another hooker.

To the best of my knowledge, Friendys fate was signed sealed and delivered. Before Idris's deal saw light of day? If that's the case, I fail to see the comparison you're trying to make.
    It's not about Friend vs Idris. It's the fact that Friend embodies everything we are lacking this season, and almost every comment about the form of the team reflects exactly what Friend brought to the team, and since he has left, so too has that attitude. Coincidence?

The Idris thing just highlights the ridiculousness of letting Friend go over petty dollars, and IMO a personality clash with Searle.
    That's a good point C-Whiz and it's well made. Friend did embody all of those positive atributes but he has been out all year due to injury, not for any other reason.
    Yes, that was just bad timing, but it illustrates how integral he was to the fabric of the team. Being out with injury does not undo the fact he was cut by the club anyway. Didn't everyone else see his value? Everyone except Michael Searle, who appears to have put his own personal issues before the good of the Titans IMO. It's done and dusted now, but it won't be forgotten, especially by his team mates who he worked so hard for.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Good point Whiz but in defence of the club: they didn't make any disparaging comments when he twice, two years in a row, publicly commented about his raw deal ... sure, that's his right and as I've mentioned previously good luck to him.
    They screwed him over privately, not publicly. Same result. The reason you heard little from the club is because (from what I have heard and read) Searle would only carry out negotiations with his manager via email. That seems pretty strange in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    Did you watch the first 4 years of Titans? With all due respect amaline, it doesn't sound like it. And again, I think it goes deeper than just who is a better player, it goes to the heart of recognition and reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    The way I see it, Srama wasn't going to get a look in this year until injuries forced Carty's hand. I remember an article from before Srama was selected where it was said he wasn't ready. That is when they were still shopping around for another hooker.
    It sounds like Steelers has been watching from the start.

Don't get me wrong, Srama is a good back-up and I am VERY HAPPY with him as a replacement, but he brings a totally different aspect to the Titans. What we need is Friend's defence, his toughness, the way he is ALWAYS backing up, and his speed out of dummy half. That is what the team is missing. Other players can bring that, but they aren't.

There is a reason for it. I can't see any other reason they have lost their fight this year, other than feeling one of their best was cut loose because the Boss had a personal issue with him. I am open to other suggestions, but I can't see another reason more obvious, and I haven't seen anyone put forward any other reason why the teams attitude has changed.

We all agree it has, but no one seems to be able to suggest what might have caused it. I just think this is the most compelling reason.

Just remember that we were still losing games towards the start of the season even when Friend was playing. I really don't believe he is the core reason for our failure this season. Srama has filled in well and I really couldn't ask anything more from him.
    Last edited by gotitans101; 05-08-11 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101 View Post
    Just remember that we were still losing games towards the start of the season even when Friend was playing. I really don't believe he is the core reason for our failure this season.
    Yep, good point, but I'd still like to hear other reasons for the attitude shift.

One of my big issues has been with the constant rotation of players, into and out of positions, and into and out of the team. I don't care who the coach is, if the team is being shifted from a$$hole to breakfast every week, that's going to stuff things up and you cannot get consistency like that. Srama has been great. Why he started off the bench is a mystery to me.

Here's a couple:

1. management haven't kept the community (players perhaps and supporters for sure) informed of their retention policy - this impacts on the environment by developing an "if they don't worry about that then why should I" attitude.

2. coaching staff totally devoid of ideas - I offer the one-dimensional attack, the inside-pass fluff, the inability to get the ball past the edges.

3. the selection merry-go-round - the non-selection of players in their preferred positions, the perserverence with players unable to find any form.

4. our non-existant kicking game - add lack of options here.

5. a complete lack of mongrel - our forward pack has always lacked size but we were able to compensate with aggression (past tense).

It's not about Friend vs Idris. It's the fact that Friend embodies everything we are lacking this season, and almost every comment about the form of the team reflects exactly what Friend brought to the team, and since he has left, so too has that attitude. Coincidence?

The Idris thing just highlights the ridiculousness of letting Friend go over petty dollars, and IMO a personality clash with Searle.
    If it's not about Friend vs Idris, why bring it up then. The only reason Idris's name came into it, is to suit your opinion. Not only that, it appears you might be passing judgement on Idris, even before he runs onto the paddock for us. How do you, I or anyone else already know if he is/isnt worth the dollars being shelled out for his services.

Also, everything you've mentioned about Friendy is personal opinion, and I can't see how it can be used as factual. To some extent, I do agree with some of that you've mentioned about him. Though I do believe it's bigger than him alone. I put it down (my opinion) to the combination of Friendy, Princey and Rat (could even throw Presto's name in there as well). As it is, we've lost two key players out of that combo. So it'd be reasonably be safe say there's a void there that we desperately need to fill and get sorted. Naturally that's not the only problem we're facing in 2011, just of the obvious one's. Though I do tend to think we have been fortunate to have Srama slot in and give it a good go.

One last point, and I don't intend to be nit-picking.. Instead of making assumptions of others having got it wrong on a number of points. Why not read and comprehend what has been written. For example you quoted this from me..
    it got me buggered to where the impression that he got shafted by Titans Management comes from.
    How can I have that statement wrong on one point, let alone a number of them?

If it's not about Friend vs Idris, why bring it up then. The only reason Idris's name came into it, is to suit your opinion.
    Actually, it was to make a comparison. I think you'll find it is you who is using it to suit your opinion.
    Friend vs Idris? Show me were I ever said that.
    It's not about Friend vs Idris.
    Also, everything you've mentioned about Friendy is personal opinion, and I can't see how it can be used as factual.
    You are a moron. Some of what I have said is fact, some is opinion.
    Which part do you think is opinion? Maybe the parts where I gave the big clue, "IMO"????

Yes, that was just bad timing, but it illustrates how integral he was to the fabric of the team. Being out with injury does not undo the fact he was cut by the club anyway. Didn't everyone else see his value? Everyone except Michael Searle, who appears to have put his own personal issues before the good of the Titans IMO. It's done and dusted now, but it won't be forgotten, especially by his team mates who he worked so hard for.

They screwed him over privately, not publicly. Same result. The reason you heard little from the club is because (from what I have heard and read) Searle would only carry out negotiations with his manager via email. That seems pretty strange in itself.

.... but no one seems to be able to suggest what might have caused it. I just think this is the most compelling reason.
    Do you have something to offer? Or are you just going to have another whinge about people not playing nice with you?
    One last point, and I don't intend to be nit-picking.. Instead of making assumptions of others having got it wrong on a number of points. Why not read and comprehend what has been written.
    Pot, this is kettle.