Page 46 of 160 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Bennett thought JT was too small and would not make it. You can build on that and he has an abundance of skills, vision and pace
    Have you seen him play or just seen the highlights footage?

First Grader

Yep and no I don’t know him
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 10-12-18 at 06:39 PM.

Junior

Why the Gold Coast Titans must launch a shock bid to sign Cameron Smith
    DECEMBER 11, 2018
    With Christmas a fortnight away, business tycoon Darryl Kelly, the Titans co-owner with the snowy white hair and beard, should play Santa and give Gold Coast fans the ultimate festive present.

He should sign Cameron Smith from Melbourne and deliver him onto the Titans’ doorstep.

Merry Christmas, Titans fans. For putting up with years of mayhem, misery and mediocrity, we thank you by announcing the acquisition of arguably the greatest player in NRL history.

The notion of the Titans poaching Smith may sound fanciful, but surely it is nowhere near as mind-boggling as the bizarre circumstances that still leave the Maroons legend a free agent on the open market.

It has been 73 days since Smith played in the NRL grand final against the Roosters without a contract for the 2019 season.

Smith is yet to sign a new deal with Melbourne. Picture by Brett Costello.

Today, he remains unsigned.

It is beyond belief.

How on earth is Cam Smith, the most-capped player in NRL history, the most-capped player in Origin history, the greatest hooker in history, the most influential player in the code today and a future NRL Immortal, without a home one month into the new pre-season?

What is even more mystifying is that rival NRL clubs aren’t even attempting to pull Melbourne’s pants down.

As the most protracted contract saga of Smith’s career drags on – seemingly over his value under the salary cap and his shock desire to play two more seasons – surely another club has the gumption and guile to orchestrate an audacious poaching raid.

That club should be the Titans.

If the Titans could afford to pay $1.2 million for Jarryd Hayne, they can afford Smith, a player who would give the Gold Coast incalculably more than the Hayne Plane ever did.

Smith could revolutionize the Titans. AAP Image/Hamish Blair.

Rugby league’s beauty lies its ability to sell narratives. And there would be a genuine romance to the Titans signing Smith: the blue-collar kid from nearby Logan, the Origin icon returning home to Queensland to oversee the revival of a Gold Coast club crying out as much for success as relevance.

Of course, Melbourne have a glorious inside running. Smith’s entire 16-year NRL career has been devoted to the Storm. He loves the club and, ideally, Smith would finish his career in Melbourne ... provided the financial terms are right.

The truth is loyalty in rugby league is now a conceptual relic. It has gone the way of spear tackles, on-field brawls, the Wests Magpies and brown leather footballs.

Now loyalty comes at a price.

When Darren Lockyer retired from Brisbane in 2011, he took a 70 per cent pay cut, playing for $200,000 in his final season to ensure he remained a proud Bronco for life.

Smith, still the NRL’s No.1 player, should not be expected to take such a drastic pay cut ... or any pay cut for that matter.

Smith is still the best player in the world. AAP Image/Hamish Blair.

No-one ever thought Cooper Cronk, Smith’s partner-in-crime, would ever quit Melbourne.

He did.

The headache for Melbourne is that they recently outlaid $4 million to sign Cameron Munster to a five-year upgrade, all the while not expecting the other Cameron to drop his 2020 NRL bombshell.

Kelly, a multi-millionaire property mogul who does deals for a living, must surely realise the financial benefits for the Titans if he chases Smith.

He should offer Smith a 12-year, $12 million deal. Two years of NRL service, followed by a 10-year post-football package in which Smith plays an ambassadorial role across several arms of the Titans’ operations.

Smith can mentor the next generation of Titans stars and bring in millions of corporate dollars splashed across billboards throughout Queensland.

It all makes sense. The Gold Coast bosses just need to come up with the dollars.

Titans fans would think all their Christmases had come at once.

Inactive User

^^^ I find the article and idea totally ridiculous myself. $12million for 12 years where he plays footy for only two years,however, how about we indulge the idea for a bit of discussion.
    What the heck do we do with Peats/Rein if we recruit Cameron Smith?
    Surely we’d have to find clubs to take both of them to free up the salary cap space.
    Are there clubs out there that want them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^ I find the article and idea totally ridiculous myself. $12million for 12 years where he plays footy for only two years,however, how about we indulge the idea for a bit of discussion.
    What the heck do we do with Peats/Rein if we recruit Cameron Smith?
    Surely we’d have to find clubs to take both of them to free up the salary cap space.
    Are there clubs out there that want them?
    A million bucks a year for 10 years to shake hands with people. Not for me.
    As for paying him as a player for two years. Nope to that as well. From what I read Smith is a real mercenary when it comes to money. Don't forget we have already had a testimonial match (money he got was outside the cap) for him and now he wants to play for 2 more years.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    A million bucks a year for 10 years to shake hands with people. Not for me.
    As for paying him as a player for two years. Nope to that as well. From what I read Smith is a real mercenary when it comes to money. Don't forget we have already had a testimonial match (money he got was outside the cap) for him and now he wants to play for 2 more years.
    I think someone missed a bit of tongue in cheek here.

I certainly don’t begrudge him two more years, just not with us. We took Wally in similar circumstances and as much as I love The King that should be a lesson to us.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Looks like big SB is moving fine. At training yesterday.....

boyd.jpg

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/...ining-session/
    Last edited by Menoitios; 12-12-18 at 08:04 AM.

QLD Cup

Whats this all about?

ROOSTERS POACH TITAN TALENT

THE Roosters have thumbed their nose at the Titans in their own backyard.

The reigning NRL premiers yesterday held a junior academy match on the Gold Coast against Brisbane league nursery Marsden High.

The Roosters youngsters included some of the Gold Coast’s top young talent, including Palm Beach Currumbin products Josh Bevan, Izzy Higgins and Ethan King.

King is the son of former Gold Coast first grade player Andrew King.

The concept was the brainchild of former Titans recruitment manager Jamie Mathiou, who has been poaching some of the region’s best talent for the Roosters.

The Titans have invested $2 million in an attempt to stop the Gold Coast’s best young talent signing with rival clubs.

But there is good news.

GOOD ON YA GOLD COAST

THUMBS up to the Gold Coast Titans for spreading some cheer at Gold Coast University Hospital this week.

The Titans handed out gifts and smiles to sick children at the Gold Coast’s biggest hospital on Wednesday.

“It will be my first Christmas with my little one,” star recruit Tyrone Peachey said.

“I’d hate for her to be sick. It was awesome to help families with sick kids.”
    Last edited by Titanic Believer; 14-12-18 at 11:44 AM.

Junior

Old news, those boys have been with Roosters for probably 18 months. Were involved in junior programs prior to being able to sign but became eligible while the club was still financially hamstrung by NRL ownership.
    I think some people have a unrealistic expectation that we can keep everyone. There will always be players that get better offers elsewhere, or just want to go elsewhere.
    As has been discussed at length in the junior threads and the TEDs thread the club, under the new ownership is making significant strides and investment in its junior programs. You can't undo the past overnight but they are building nicely.

Immortal

Well said mate

Couldn’t agree more ja4220 well said

Inactive User

Nobody gets raided of its best junior talent like we do.
    That’s the issue.
    Losing our cream boom youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Nobody gets raided of its best junior talent like we do.
    That’s the issue.
    Losing our cream boom youngsters.
    I think from what we are seeing the tide is turning, the TED program is only in its infant stage and will hopefully grow and in the next few years we will start seeing the benefits, the owners have put a considerable amount of money towards the juniors something that we haven’t seen ever before

Inactive User

^^^ yeah I do feel confident about the future too. I just want to keep pointing out that it’s critical that we don’t get comfortable and get right on top of this issue.