Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Any positives from Brennan's demise are quickly negated by the pathetic efforts of the majority of the over-paid, under-performing squad. I would be looking hard at the business model, sacking the CEO while going lean and mean with local talent.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Any positives from Brennan's demise are quickly negated by the pathetic efforts of the majority of the over-paid, under-performing squad. I would be looking hard at the business model, sacking the CEO while going lean and mean with local talent.
    Local Juniors is the pathway for GC success in all codes even the one at Carrara

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    So happy to hear our players who have thrown matches through their underperformance are happy they had their coach sacked. Hope they receive the same fate come Monday (regardless of who they are). They have thrown a season to sack a coach. Pathetic. Congratulations to every single one of them, you are winners of a wooden spoon and may have done irreparable damage to the club.
    What a stupid, malicious, inane comment. To accuse players of DELIBERATELY THROWING matches would have to be up with the worst things you could accuse a player of doing. They may not have played with the energy or urgency or efficiency you would expect of a first grade player but you have, in effect, accused them of a conspiracy to throw matches. Idiot statement, mate. How about you turn up at training and make that statement to the players. Understand all the heat but keep it real

Inactive User

Just saw the KWalters denial.
    He didn’t totally close the door
    He dropped the ole “at this stage....” element.
    I remember Paul Roos using that phrase before becoming the Melbourne coach in AFL

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    What a stupid, malicious, inane comment. To accuse players of DELIBERATELY THROWING matches would have to be up with the worst things you could accuse a player of doing. They may not have played with the energy or urgency or efficiency you would expect of a first grade player but you have, in effect, accused them of a conspiracy to throw matches. Idiot statement, mate. How about you turn up at training and make that statement to the players. Understand all the heat but keep it real
    Just the highlighted bit. So in fact you think they didn't play to their ability and thought they would still win?

What time is training?

Inactive User

^^^^ Peachey is the only player in my entire life following footy who I have watched do things to make me suspicious

Ring the club and they will tell you. I will be there Thursday so if you can do it then, it would make for an exciting twenty or so seconds.
    I sincerely do not believe they have played to the best of their ability, either collectively or individually. However, It is going to far to accuse them of doing something that, if proven, would at least lead to their banishment from the game. While I believe the team has not performed to their potential, there are a couple of mitigating factors. Given the role of modern wingers( particularly where it relates to carting up out of your own red zone) why would Don ever be considered for first grade? Why play Cartwright on the “ wrong” side which has the effect of dampening his attacking skills? Why do the coaches apparently believe that the right side block play to the lead runner, Proctor, is ever going to lead to anything other than Proctor being tackled close to the point of contact with the defender? I could go on....I am as frustrated as anyone but generally, I try to refrain from severe criticism of people who are doing the best they can. I have a cousin playing first grade with another club and I see the crap he takes from time to time from his clubs fan forum and it makes me feel sorry for him because he is always trying and he is always busted.

I'm not gonna say they were throwing matcheS. But on Friday, in my eyes, their performance didn't scream "our coach's job is on the line, we need to do everything we can to try to save it." Jarrod Wallace yolo bombing the ball on 5th, all the other crap. The report coming out today that there were smiles all around, I mean, come on.

First Grader

Gold Coast players have told club management they have lost faith in Garth Brennan in a scathing internal review that represented the final straw for the embattled Titans coach.

Brennan was officially sacked today just 24 hours before Titans culture-and-performance chief Mal Meninga tables his wide-ranging report to the Gold Coast board to chart a new direction for the club.

Brennan appealed for the chance to see out his deal, which expired at the end of 2020, but player power has been a factor in his immediate termination.

“No one at this organisation, or anyone involved in rugby league, wanted Garth’s time as head coach of the Titans to end this way,” Titans executive chairman Dennis Watt said.

MORE COVERAGE

Garth Brennan has been sacked by the Gold Coast Titans. Picture: AAP
    Garth Brennan has been sacked by the Gold Coast Titans. Picture: AAP
    “However, the results the club has achieved on the field this season have not met expectations, and the team’s performance in recent weeks has fallen to a level that is unacceptable to the board, our members, fans, sponsors and partners.

“Unfortunately, that has left the club in a situation where Garth remaining in the position of head coach has become untenable.”

The Courier-Mail can reveal Meninga will put the finishing touches on his masterplan tonight with the NRL Immortal completing six weeks of interviews with a range of stakeholders including the playing group.

Meninga has probed several facets of the Titans’ operations, chiefly the function of the football department, and for the second time in two years the Gold Coast has been buffeted by a player backlash.

In 2017, Neil Henry was sacked after facing a dressing-room mutiny and now Brennan has paid the price, coming under fire from some elements of the playing group who expressed concerns about his methods.

Player power has been a factor in Garth Brennan’s departure. Picture: Jason O'Brien
    Player power has been a factor in Garth Brennan’s departure. Picture: Jason O'Brien
    Since Brennan replaced Henry, the Titans have lost 28 of 40 games and are in danger of claiming their second wooden spoon in eight years.

In May, Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly put the coach on notice, telling him to “do his job”, and some unflattering critiques from players convinced the Gold Coast board to pull the trigger on Brennan.

Meninga did not want to comment on Brennan specifically in the wake of the Titans’ dismal 24-2 loss to Penrith but he told The Courier-Mail his review has been extensive.

“It’s been a lot of work. It’s much anticipated by the sounds of it,” he said.

“I’ve got a couple more meetings to go but the review is nearly done.

“It was disappointing what happened the other night (against the Panthers).”

Mal Meninga is putting the finishing touches on his Titans masterplan. Picture: Jerad Williams
    Mal Meninga is putting the finishing touches on his Titans masterplan. Picture: Jerad Williams
    The Courier-Mail has been told Titans players have questioned the intensity of their training. Some top-liners were also critical of Brennan’s standards of discipline, claiming he is too lenient.

Well-placed sources say Brennan has been distant in recent months, privately believing the board’s call for a review left him a dead-man walking.

Brennan has also attracted criticism for his recruitment drive, including several imports from his former club Penrith.

Former Panthers duo Leilani Latu and Bryce Cartwright have been flops, ex-Penrith utility Tyrone Peachey has never settled under Brennan, Shannon Boyd is languishing on the bench and $1 million halfback Ash Taylor has gone backwards.

Not all players were anti-Brennan. Queensland Origin forward Jai Arrow and Tyrone Roberts are two of his biggest supporters, with Arrow praising the coach’s contribution.

“Brenno has given me every opportunity to prove myself and in a way he has helped me so much,” he said.

“He gave me my opportunity to start last year and because of that, I’ve become a State of Origin player.

“I know there’s a lot being said but personally I can’t thank Garth enough for what he has done for me.

“As a playing group, it’s on us to get results for the club. It’s definitely a hard time.

“We have to stick together and finish off the year strongly and build some confidence.”

Jai Arrow is one of Garth Brennan’s biggest supporters. Picture: Getty Images
    Jai Arrow is one of Garth Brennan’s biggest supporters. Picture: Getty Images
    Brennan did not return calls but recently told The Courier-Mail he was pragmatic about the cut-throat career of being an NRL head coach.

“At the end of the day, my neck is on the chopping board,” he said.

“That’s the difference with being an assistant. An assistant can be best mates with the players but it’s not their neck on the line.

“If the team is losing, the head coach wears it.

“Every NRL coach is under pressure if they don’t win games.”

Watt paid tribute to Brennan for his service and commitment to the Titans, where he has served since the end of 2017.

“While the on-field results have not been what we hoped for, Garth will still leave a tremendous legacy for this club with his contribution to the creation of our development systems and pathways,” Watt said.

Garth Brennan was pragmatic about the cut-throat career of being an NRL head coach. Picture: AAP
    Garth Brennan was pragmatic about the cut-throat career of being an NRL head coach. Picture: AAP
    “These will ensure the Titans’ future will be built around the best young players growing up on the Gold Coast and northern New South Wales.

“Along the way, Garth has handed NRL debuts to players like AJ Brimson, Moeaki Fotuaika and Jai Whitbread — players who will be at the core of this club for the years ahead.

“Garth, his wife Rachael and their family have made real sacrifices in moving to the Coast, and Garth has dedicated himself to connecting with Titans Members, fans, local leagues and the wider community.

“Garth has been tireless in promoting the club and the game. He is a decent and genuine rugby league man, and everyone at this club wishes him and his family nothing but the best for the future.”

I am a little concerned. The last time the players got their way Henry was sacked and Hayne got to stay. I am now wondering if Taylor has anything to do with this as well. This leads me to believe that we need a really old school coach who is hard as nails and leads the team, not their friend. Toovey, bellamy or Griffin would be my wishlist. Dare I say Neil Henry as well. This rot has to stop now, and I think any of those coaches would be a suitable start.

Inactive User

Scott Sattler someone who cares for our club wants Tim Sheens

Sheens has never been someone that I would want as a coach. He's been handballed amongst the club's for years.

Well said mate. It's a shame to see Mal and the board give in to this public witch hunt. You'd think some people here would learn from past mistakes such as getting rid of a great loyal coach in John Cartwright. Congrats to the haters that prevailed. I had no doubt that Mal and Garth would of turned this season around and give us what we want to see every week; the team playing Titans Footy.

This is the darkest day in our beautiful club's short history and in all my time as a proud supporter never have I been embarrassed on behalf of other Titan's supporters behavior.

Okay now we know it’s a clear troll. Mods please take action

Ben Dobbin saying on Channel 9 that we are chasing a Queenslander for the next coach. Which rules out a lot of people... Also, despite the fact Walters has ruled himself out, he says that we are going to fight tooth and nail to get him here anyway