Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Post-Match press-Conference
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...ss-conference/
    Justin Holbrook chats to the media after his team's Magic Round game against the Panthers
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    The problem wasn’t Cleary. We got physically dominated in the forwards and until we get a mindset of winning the collision in the forwards and going straight instead of sideways we will always be known as marshmelloes.
    This 100%. Not only winning the collision, but having forwards willing to be in the collision. At one stage in the first half we had two repeat sets which I think gave us 10 tackles in the set. Not once did a forward hit it up. Why are blokes like Don, AJ, and other lightweight backs doing it ups in the first 5 minutes and getting ragdolled. We barely made 35 metres in a set which is not surprising when our forwards don't get involved. Are they being coached this way?
    Not singling out Tino who was great for us at the start of the season but he has been very average recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    The problem wasn’t Cleary. We got physically dominated in the forwards and until we get a mindset of winning the collision in the forwards and going straight instead of sideways we will always be known as marshmelloes.

Yes mate you might be right about our forwards and not sure who the leader is but we need a new one and this is where Herman says well “f@ck this… follow me” (yes he got it wrong but his intention was good).

I’ll elaborate on Cleary, what he did during the period of where they go down to 12 was so dominant and influential I doubt anyone else in the current game could have come close to the same impact (and yes this is a different Rugby League game now and so much about momentum that’s for sure). Just watch the replay of that period and Cleary was so unbelievably good he single handedly changes the psyche/game right there (he sh!ts me).

Banned

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...-an-nrl-coach/

I think Garth could have done better

Quote Originally Posted by coreythompson View Post
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...-an-nrl-coach/

I think Garth could have done better
    Surely you’re trolling

Jeez, what a miserable place this was last night. WTF did anyone expect? Penrith have put the hurt on every team in the NRL this year.

From the nose bleed seats Peachey shouldn't have come out during the week saying the Titans haven't talked to him about a contract. Other interesting thing was when they were behind the posts waiting for conversions Peachey stood away from the huddle.

Fermor bashing? Jeez, how many tackles get missed when you get 44 put on you? At least he can find the line. Anyway, it was exactly what I thought it would be. Hopefully we can keep it close to the same team against the Dogs as there are no sane alternatives.

We are only going to be making up numbers in the finals if we make it.. the panthers were relentless, we looked like school boys out there compared to them.. we are no where near them.. glad they didn’t put 60 on us tbh.. needs to be some change in the team.. we aren’t going to be a serious title contender until we get a gun half who can control the game.. let’s hope for some change to the team next week

Agreed JB I am really not sure what people were expecting. A loss is no doubt disappointing and some individual performances were once again a let down but who really expected to win that game when Melbourne, Manly and Canberra couldn't even do it. They are close to a perfect side and you could tell the difference straight away from the kick off. I seriously don't see where Penrith lose as they are a class above everyone else. I'm surprised we actually kept it to only 48 considering we played with 12 for 50 minutes thanks to braindead Herman.

-Deadset I don't understand what more Holbrook needs to see to drop Proctor once Fifita is back. The bloke made 30 METRES last night in 56 minutes, 30!!! He is one of the most ineffective backrowers in the comp in attack and even his defence (which used to be a strong point) is dreadful now. Fermor should be starting with Proctor either benched or out of the side all together.

-Wallace was disappointing once again with another couple of set restarts conceded and he is looking well behind the pace again which is strange as he started the year so well. Opposition forwards are just burning him through the middle and he seems to get tired very quickly

-Not sure Peach is not worth re-signing in my opinion. He does provide us with a ball playing option in the forwards but agree with an earlier post by HS pointing out how Peach just gets bashed up the middle in defence due to his size. Bigger forwards target him (like tonight) and exhaust him so his attack becomes ineffective anyway.

I was in the Titans fans section behind the goals that Penrith were attacking in the first half so got a real close up view of the effort and cohesion of our middle ruck defence. It was obvious that Penrith didn’t rate it as you could see their players looking into that area before the ball came to them. They were spotting both Peachey and Wallace and working them over.
    Peachey doesn’t use his shoulder in defence, just tries to hug the ball runner until someone else comes to help and as a result he is useless as a middle forward when we are defending our line.
    Wallace gets gassed (like most players in this game) but when he is his legs go and that means he just can’t get into position. Look at blokes like Paulo who are big bodies and yet they are still able to push into position.
    Tino is trying his guts out but he can’t carry his load and cover for Wallace and Peachey as well.
    I think Timo needs to go back to lock, Mo and Lisone start and Peachey back to the bench.
    We need to be looking at bigger mobile bodies, not the plodders we have now.

Yeah Wallace truly looked like a bloke that thought "well I'm going to get penalised (6 again) no matter how long I lie in the ruck so may as well make it count". It was sooooo slow it had to be purposeful, not that that makes sense because we can't defend repeat sets.

Look at the middles of the top teams -

Panthers

Leota (FRF)
    JFH (FRF)
    Yeo (LK)
    Koroisau (HK)

Storm

Bromwich (FRF)
    Welch (FRF)
    Finucane (LK)
    Grant/Smith (HK)

Roosters

JWH (FRF)
    Liu (FRF)
    Radley (LK)
    Verrils/Marshke (HK)

Eels

RCG (FRF)
    Paulo (FRF)
    Brown (LK)
    Mahoney (HK)

Now look at ours

Wallace (FRF)
    Tino (FRF)
    Peachey (LK)
    Rein (HK)

We've got obvious issues with individuals across the park but we will never be remotely competitive against a top side until we have a strong defensive middle. A lot of our other perceived issues stem from this and what it does for our tempo, control and confidence

I feel a bit for Tino because his form is being impacted by the draining cleanup work he is having to try and do for those around him. Peachey or Rein making a tackle? Better commit 2 more blokes to complete the tackle to save us conceeding 15m, a quick PTB or an offload..every single time. It compounds.

Promise I'll stop going on about it now
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 17-05-21 at 09:54 AM.

Why stop mate?
    That was my first live game this year so it wasn’t as obvious to me from tv but being behind the goal posts opened up my eyes to just how bad it is.

Rep Player

Agree with all the comments about our middle D. When we have possession early in the game, Peachey looks like a world beater at starting lock. Unfortunately, we get steamrolled if we don’t have possession, so I don’t think we can keep taking the risk. With the rule changes and the momentum that is built off sloppy D and lazy players like Wallace and Peachey giving set after set it’s just not worth it.

I think we need to revert back to 3 genuine middles on the park to start and bring Peachey on as an interchange lock. That would be Wallace and Mo at prop with Tino as a 50 min lock. Alternatively, bring Wallace off the bench and start Jolliffe or even Sam McIntyre who looks like a smart defender.

Found this on a stats page. Anyone playing at home want to guess how the Panthers got 6 free interchanges and we got zero?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Agree with all the comments about our middle D. When we have possession early in the game, Peachey looks like a world beater at starting lock. Unfortunately, we get steamrolled if we don’t have possession, so I don’t think we can keep taking the risk. With the rule changes and the momentum that is built off sloppy D and lazy players like Wallace and Peachey giving set after set it’s just not worth it.

I think we need to revert back to 3 genuine middles on the park to start and bring Peachey on as an interchange lock. That would be Wallace and Mo at prop with Tino as a 50 min lock. Alternatively, bring Wallace off the bench and start Jolliffe or even Sam McIntyre who looks like a smart defender.
    I like the look of McIntyre, he'd be the first contract I extend this year, shame his face looks like a smashed crab after that game. How do we fix our 9? Clark? If Peachey doesn't start I don't think he needs to take a bench spot either.

Some great thoughts comments and discussion, and agree with how much work Tino is doing cleaning up and scrapping around the middle in defence this nullifies his impact in our attack. Couldn't agree more with HS analysis and what Ozynorts seen watching live behind the goal posts on the defensive setup and the structures the titans are using.
    Not sure what the solution will be moving forward but this won't be a quick fix and the teams and coaches that the titans play against will be starting to make some notes on our middle D as they would already have info on how we collapse on the edges