Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

I think thats part of the issue with MOrts, he just tries to hard. Maybe if he just chilled a bit and let it flow naturally he would be better.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Everyone lauding Mortimer's defensive effort ... Yeah, that's why he was a bench hooker in those two gf seasons he played in. Just because he tackles good, and his last name is 'Mortiimer' don't make him a half.

Sezer saying they deserve more time makes me ill. If you haven't seen enough to figure out that keeping them together is just delaying the inevitable, well then to you.

Agree with you K2G but Sezer couldn't really say anything else could he? Team mates and all that ... even Henry is not going to publically bag a player at this stage ... that's left to us in the Forum to debate
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Jesus. Why is it always with Mortimer, Gidley etc. the "Oh mate, but he trains and works really hard!" So? It doesn't mean that he has the talent of an Andrew Johns, Langer or Thurston. He doesn't even have the talent of Peter Wallace ffs. Mortimer can go to the bench as a back up hooker or he can go to the QCup, or find another club to play at..

Had to miss attending the game due to an overnight stay in Hospital. I did have TV though (No Foxtel) and watched Egley blitz it for Tweed. So did Crampton. Conditions were diabolical but what an entertaining game from Tweed. The winger (No 5...no idea who) also had a cracker.

I have taped the Titans game so I guess I will watch it shortly seeing I am off work for a while.

Junior

THE WRAP: Titans v Knights: Neil Cadigan - Mon 23rd March, 08:44AM

The Titans can certainly look at line-ball refereeing calls not going their way. They can too receive praise for effort and having a ‘real dig’ at home in often pouring rain at Cbus Super Stadium.

And after watching the under-20s side lead 10-0 then get run down while four players were sitting in their seats injured, only to come back to a match-winning conversion attempt after the siren that went just wide, Titans fans were left wondering when luck at home is going to change.

However, there is no disguising the hard facts of a second narrow NRL loss in the first two home matches. And the major one is lack of composure in the final 10 minutes when the team had bravely fought so hard to be in the match, but didn’t have that elusive ingredient – whether that is confidence, discipline under pressure or control of anxiety – to get over the line.

The Titans, who had only 35 per cent of possession in the first half which was almost a mirror-image of the first 40 minutes against the Panthers eight days earlier, completed 12 straight sets in the second half and had come back from 14-6 down to lead 18-14 ahead.

They failed to finish off four of the next six in the final 14 minutes, and compounded that by conceding two penalties, and let the Knights in for the second of their three tries which came from a straight runner parading through too-big a gap untouched – this time to Jeremy Smith.

This was part of the scenario of the final 14 minutes:

Will Zillman gathers a Aidan Sezer sideways kick on the last but his desperate kick deflects off Uate into touch – Knights turnover 20m their line; Daniel Mortimer kicks out on the full next set in possession; Eddy Pettybourne penalised and put on report for a high tackle; Aidan Sezer completes the next set with a long kick; Mortimer kicks out on the full again; Sezer kicks deep again; Greg Bird penalised for holding on after a Uate half-break; Smith scores off next set from a flat ball from dummy-half Adam Clydesdale 10m out for 20-18 Newcastle; next Titans set is incomplete again with the ball going to Ryan James from dummy half and only then to Sezer for the kick but he had to throw the ball under pressure to Nate Myles who threw forward.

Until then it was probably the Titans’ most constructive and effective half hour of football in three matches, but it counted for little in the end.

The NRL rules no longer allow for a club to criticise refereeing decisions and, considering too many post-match conferences for too many years have been dominated by coaches’ and media’s focus on the refs’ calls, that is understandable.

So coach Neil Henry was diplomatic when questioned about the on-field referees’ and video refs’ calls to rule that a deflection from Korbin Sims of a Tyrone Roberts pass in the lead-up to Dane Gagai’s breathtaking try was a knock back. But opinions of TV commentators and pressmen were that it was a marginal knock forward but the line-ball call went against the Titans – one of many that have been crucial this season.

That’s footy and the Titans had plenty of time and opportunity to make amends.

There were certainly some great efforts by the Titans boys though.

Mortimer was roundly criticised for his two missed kicks but only Luke Douglas (40) made more than his 31 tackles and one, head-on and low on Joey Leilua close to the line, typified his effort. Mortimer also put on the inside ball to Ryan Simpkins that set up Sezer’s second try.

Local junior Simpkins, in his first NRL game at home for the Titans, was an unsung hero off the bench and did a lot of the one-percenters that are noticed by the coaches and teammates.

Greg Bird, in his return match, was the second best yardage maker with 163m, with only Pettybourne – also a tremendous contributor in attack and defence – better with 167m. Bird also made some important tackles and general gave the pack authority, with Pettybourne an able ally.

Sezer did some terrific things and started to control the game in the second half but like others made a couple of errors at crucial times. Josh Hoffman’s tackle on a runaway Leilua was a stand-out moment, as was some of Anthony Don’s efforts in the air.

Yet in the end the side’s inability to close out the match, and some close refs’ calls, were decisive. Sezer said after the match perhaps the team has temporarily forgotten how to win the close games.

This time last year the Titans were “winning ugly” and surprising many.

That’s perhaps only a fingernail away from happening again. The effort and the way the side is troubling defences and the scramble on the try-line outside of those two soft tries, all suggest that.

SOME KEY STATS:
    Missed tackles: Titans 40, Knights 22
    Possession: Titans 49 per cent to Knights’ 51 per cent after being 35/65 at half-time.
    Completions: Titans 78%, Knights 78% (28/36 compared to 31/40)
    Penalties: 8-7 Knights
    Top tacklers: Douglas 40, Mortimer 31, Myles 29, Moseley 25, Bird 25.
    Metres gained: Pettybourne 167, Bird 163, James 113, Don 105.

Mortimer is just another guy like Zillman. A good bloke so will be afforded plenty of extra time to come good. At the end of the day Mortimer is high on effort but low on talent.

This is the issue for Henry. Elgey offers more in attack and Mortimer is a better defender. The decision is whether to take a chance that Elgey will bring enough extra points to cover the odd defensive lapse or should he work on trying to shore up the defence overall. Myles made a lot of tackles but failed to get over 100m in attack. Pettybourne is looking the buy of the year right now.

I believe the only way, we can ignite or reignite (for the lack of a better term) is to bring Elgey in to the halfback spot and partner up with Sezer. What if those two gel and become a great halves partnership (Soward-Wallace Penrith 2014) Where would that leave Sezer or Elgey when Daly Cherry Evans is making his way to the club?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    This is the issue for Henry. Elgey offers more in attack and Mortimer is a better defender. The decision is whether to take a chance that Elgey will bring enough extra points to cover the odd defensive lapse or should he work on trying to shore up the defence overall. on the left is a polled bull.. ( no horns) on the right is a cow ( female) with horns!!! And yes they are my cattle��Myles made a lot of tackles but failed to get over 100m in attack. Pettybourne is looking the buy of the year right now.
    I don't think Mortimer is a better tackler than Elgey
    Last edited by teke; 23-03-15 at 04:24 PM.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Had to miss attending the game due to an overnight stay in Hospital. I did have TV though (No Foxtel) and watched Egley blitz it for Tweed. So did Crampton. Conditions were diabolical but what an entertaining game from Tweed. The winger (No 5...no idea who) also had a cracker.

I have taped the Titans game so I guess I will watch it shortly seeing I am off work for a while.
    The no5 was Leva Li another Titan
    #itaintweaktospeak

To be honest, I see Sezer at lock ... Elgey, DCE and Sezer at the scrum base adds a lot of potency, although I do worry about Sezer defending on the left edge.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

This is the issue for Henry. Elgey offers more in attack and Mortimer is a better defender. The decision is whether to take a chance that Elgey will bring enough extra points to cover the odd defensive lapse or should he work on trying to shore up the defence overall. Myles made a lot of tackles but failed to get over 100m in attack. Pettybourne is looking the buy of the year right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I don't think Mortimer is a better tackler than Elgey
    I think it is more his decision making in defence going on what I saw on the weekend for Tweed.
    Not sure who added the extra's into my post that you quoted? What's with the cattle references?

I think it is more his decision making in defence going on what I saw on the weekend for Tweed.
    Not sure who added the extra's into my post that you quoted? What's with the cattle references?
    no idea about the cattle ref
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Just had a quick watch of the replay. It wasn't a knock-on. The ball was passed backwards and the touch didn't change the direction of travel.
    Some of those defensive gaps! Wow.
    I agree with most. Mortimer must be replaced at 7.
    Bird must go. Hopefully he is suspended now for a while.