Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayne

Default Hayne

Jaryd Hayne discussion
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Plan to get best out of Hayne

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

JARRYD Hayne will be given a degree of freedom by Garth Brennan as the Titans coach works to get the best out of the “enormous talent”.

The breakdown of the relationship between Hayne and Neil Henry was a large part of the reason for the former coach’s demise but Brennan’s greatest strength is developing relationships with his players.

A former NSW police officer, Brennan knows how to tread the fine line between disciplinarian and coddler and believes he can get the best out of not only Hayne but each of the players in his squad.

“Everyone prepares differently for a game and I don’t think you can just pigeonhole everyone into the same category,” Brennan said when asked about how he would handle Hayne.

“Everyone’s different and it’s about finding out how to get the best out of the individual. And the only way you do that is to get to know them away from football.

“You can’t be fake about that because the players will pick up on that, you’ve got to have a genuine caring nature.”

Brennan’s relationshipbuilding skills have already come to the fore, with the bond he has formed with Ash Taylor over the time he has acted as a mentor to the young half certain to help the Titans re-sign their rising star.

“I’m not going to say I’m a big softie but 18 years in the police service enabled me to find that happy medium between whether you need to kick someone’s butt or whether you need to give them a cuddle,” Brennan said.

“Knowing the right time comes down to knowing the individual. And that’s not just Jarryd, it’s the other 29 players in the team as well.”

Brennan has never met Hayne, the man who has been pinned with the blame for many of the Titans’ woes.

“I’ve just been a fan like everyone else,” Brennan said.

“I just love watching him play. He’s an enormous talent, there’s no doubt about that.”

While Henry’s mistake was trying to make Hayne just another player in the team – doing the same work as the rookies and the leaders in an egalitarian system – Brennan believes there is a benefit in greater flexibility.

“You’ve got to treat players like you treat people in the community as individuals,” Brennan said.

“What I will say is that when it comes to the Gold Coast brand and affecting the Gold Coast brand … that’s bigger than anyone.

“You step out of line at the Gold Coast and you affect the brand of the Gold Coast Titans, then that is a non-negotiable. That’s when I will come down hard on you.”

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I couldn't bring myself to call this thread the Hayne Plane thread...again.

Interesting to note that there has been all sorts of talk about players that are free to negotiate from Nov 1 (Ash) and yet I don't think I have read an article about clubs chasing Hayne or that the Titans have started negotiating with him. That may change now that Brennan is here but I think he will wait and see what Hayne is going to bring. The rest of the NRL will all be waiting to see if he has a big start to next year.
    Perfect scenario for me is that he has a good year and then moves on before his ego is massively inflated again and he completely destroys anything that Brennan is trying to build.

I don't believe we will see this plane wearing the no1 in Titans colours again , 6 or 16 for me
    #itaintweaktospeak

What names would you throw into the ring that'd be in the running for the #1 jersey in 2018, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Interesting to note that there has been all sorts of talk about players that are free to negotiate from Nov 1 (Ash) and yet I don't think I have read an article about clubs chasing Hayne or that the Titans have started negotiating with him. That may change now that Brennan is here but I think he will wait and see what Hayne is going to bring. The rest of the NRL will all be waiting to see if he has a big start to next year.
    Perfect scenario for me is that he has a good year and then moves on before his ego is massively inflated again and he completely destroys anything that Brennan is trying to build.
    I dearly hope that we wouldn't be entertaining the thought of negotiating a contract extension. But given that his contract is up you would hope to see him play to the best of his ability so that he and his brand can move on to bigger and better things (USA league or whatever they were touting).

I reckon we've done the Hayne thing to death. Time to focus on the tangibles such as new faces, retention and promotions/demotions. Support staffing is of high interest to me too.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    What names would you throw into the ring that'd be in the running for the #1 jersey in 2018, Pete?
    Moylan will do
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Moylan will do
    He would do me too ... that makes Hayne an expensive wingman

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    He would do me too ... that makes Hayne an expensive wingman
    We are used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    We are used to that.
    i think I’ll grab a jacket, it’s getting a bit ‘zilly’ tonight

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Well I spoke too soon...

Gold Coast Titans ready to offer Jarryd Hayne a contract extension if he can return to top form
    TRAVIS MEYN, The Courier-Mail
    October 23, 2017 6:30pm
    Subscriber only
    TITANS coach Garth Brennan has issued Jarryd Hayne an NRL lifeline, revealing the Hayne Plane will be offered a contract extension if he can return to top form in 2018.

Hayne will enter next season as the NRL’s most high-profile free agent on the back of a tumultuous year with the Gold Coast.

The 29-year-old was embroiled in a feud with former coach Neil Henry last season as the Titans slumped to second-last on the ladder.

Hayne will chew up $1.2 million of the Gold Coast’s salary cap next year and was widely expected to be shown the door given the controversy and lack of performance he has brought to the Titans.

But Brennan is prepared to give Hayne another shot if the two-time Dally M Medal winner fires.

Brennan knows Hayne has plenty to offer. Photo: Annette Dew
    The rookie coach is targeting Hayne’s former Parramatta trainer and friend, Hayden Knowles, to join the Gold Coast’s football department.

And Brennan said he was open to extending Hayne’s tenure on the Gold Coast if he burst back to life in 2018.

“He’s still got plenty of good footy ahead of him and is relatively young,” he said.

“At the back end of 2016, everyone on the Gold Coast was saying how good Jarryd Hayne was. He was the best thing the Titans ever did. He put bums on seats and they had record crowds.

“The Australian culture loves winners. I’ve got no doubt if Jarryd comes out next year and plays anywhere near his potential, they will be loving Jarryd Hayne again very quickly.

“If that’s the case, he’s playing good football and Jarryd wants to stay on the Gold Coast, then I’d love to keep him as long as he wants to be here.”

Hayne with the boys of Brisbane grammar at Fiji training. Photo: Annette Dew
    Hayne hit the training paddock at Brisbane Grammar School on Monday with his Fiji Bati teammates in preparation for their World Cup opener against the USA in Townsville on Saturday.

Hayne declined an interview request after the session, but teammate Ashton Sims said he expected to see the 2008 Fiji representative at his best after being overlooked by the Kangaroos.

“There’s no doubt on his day he is one of the best players in the world,” he said.

“I’ve got a couple of years on Jarryd, but I still look at him as one, a good friend, and two, a superstar you want to be involved with.

“He has been one of the best influences in this team so far. He doesn’t say too much but when he does it means something. It hits you in your soul.

“His attitude and positivity is rubbing off on everyone else. In 2008 he was unstoppable.”

Brennan is assembling a new-look football department to support him in his first NRL head coaching role. Henry’s long-time assistant coach Terry Matterson has left the Titans, however Craig Hodges will stay on as Brennan’s sole assistant.

He has lured high performance staff Craig Catterick and Knowles to replace Matt Ford, Sean Edwards and Adam Paulo.

Brennan said Hayne could dominate the NRL again in the right environment.

“He’s an exceptional talent, there’s no doubt about that,” he said.

“I watched Jarryd last season and saw a player that didn’t look like he was enjoying playing his football. Whether that was on-field or off-field, I don’t know because I wasn’t part of it.

“I want to get to know Jarryd away from football. I want him to know what I’m like away from footy so we can build that trust between the two of us.”

The Titans are also on the hunt for a new recruitment manager following the departure of Dave Hamilton.

I would have thought Greg Condon would have been first to go rather then these other guys. Maybe he will be around for another few years.
    Psmitty

Greg "Bodsie" Condon