Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Carry said on Tv that he did that cause of the rep duty.

Shame about Toopi. But Graham won't let us down. And might be good tonic to shut down Folau. We have weapons all over the park. We just need to shut down theirs. His leap will be deadly. Gotta keep the Broncos as down field as possible.

Just collected my tickets! I am SO excited. This is the game I always dreamed about whn we were fightingfor a team.

And let's not forget that the Broncos were a major reason why the Chargers got punted! SEQLD Exclusivity clause!! Wiped us out. Then spent a decade doing nothing to foster RL outside Brisbane

This game personal!!! Destroy them Titans!!! DESTROY!!!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

P.s yes yea please start Bird at 5/8th!! >: )

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Tallis: Titans pack a punch

FORMER Broncos firebrand Gorden Tallis believes the Titans deserve to be considered a premiership force on the back of one of the most dominant forward packs in the NRL.

In a remarkable turnaround, Tallis predicted the Gold Coast would make a genuine impact in 2010, just months after branding the Titans forwards too small and out of their depth in finals footy.

Tallis launched a stinging attack on the Titans just days out from the club's historic home semi-final against Brisbane at Skilled Park last September.

But as they prepare for the re-match at Suncorp Stadium tonight, Tallis said he had been impressed by the Titans' toughness over the first nine rounds and felt they were building towards something special.

"If I can break it all down and say what is different about them this year it is that they are just tougher," said Tallis.

"They are building an aura about them.

"Last year they didn't have that but this year they are getting it.

"They beat Manly, beat Melbourne and pushed St George.

"You judge a good footy side on who are the more consistent sides in the comp, for me that is St George and Melbourne and I think Manly are the dark horse.

"So the Titans have gone toe to toe with the three big heavyweights.

"You prove yourself by beating the good sides and they have done that."

The former Queensland and Test enforcer was deep inside Titans territory yesterday in his role as a Max Employment ambassador at the Gold Coast Careers Expo at the Convention Centre.

"It is not that it has shocked me, because I always knew they had talented players," said Tallis.

"I have never once said they were not physically tough but mentally they are playing for the full 80 minutes.

"They have always been a very fit side.

"I think Sam Tagataese adds that bit of size and variation and Greg Bird has also been tremendous on the edge of the ruck, he has added that bit of X-factor."

Titans forward leader Luke Bailey said the recognition of his troops' efforts in the middle of the park was long overdue.

"For the past 18 months we have been towards the top of the table and you need good forwards to do that," said Bailey.

He said they would be out to assert their newfound dominance against the Broncos.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Meyers looking forward

TITANS cult hero Brad Meyers has declared 'retirement is not an option' as he hunts a new multi-year deal to remain on the Gold Coast.

The 30-year-old foundation forward is off contract at the end of this season but the bearded veteran is adamant it will not be his last.

In a sign that Meyers is serious about staying in the NRL, he has employed teammate Scott Prince's long-time manager Steve Robinson.

Meyers has handled his own affairs in recent seasons but said the move to get Robinson working on his behalf was so he could concentrate more on playing good footy.

"Retirement is not an option," said Meyers.

"I wouldn't mind playing at least a couple more years.

"I am really enjoying playing and I like to think I can keep going for a while yet."

Meyers will line up against the Broncos tonight, the club at which he made his first grade debut a decade ago.

The 190cm, 110kg giant has been in sensational form for the Titans so far this season and is a key reason why the Gold Coast are joint competition leaders after the opening nine rounds.

Meyers has been part of a pack that has not only matched it but often dominated opposition big men in 2010.

"I think it is starting to come together even better this year," said Meyers.

"You have to have a little laugh at people who say we are too small and all that kind of stuff. We don't think of ourselves as that and I sure as hell know we don't play that way."

But the nature of the NRL salary cap means the Gold Coast pack is in danger of splintering, with fellow forwards Matt White, Sam Tagataese and Aaron Cannings also off contract at year's end.

Titans boss Michael Searle said he hoped to enter into talks with Meyers within the next month.

"We would like to be able to keep the squad together," said Searle. "But it is a very real challenge (to fit them all under the salary cap)."

Prince happy to talk up Broncos bout

SCOTT Prince may be sick of all the talk about his representative chances but the crafty Titans skipper has no problems talking of the importance surrounding tomorrow night's NRL clash with the Broncos.

There is more than just two competition points on offer, with Prince yesterday rating the Heritage Round stoush with Big Brother Broncos the one match you have no problem getting up for.

"It's got a bit more gloss than a normal club game," said Prince of the Titans' matches with Brisbane.

"I think it's between a club game and a rep game, everyone seems to lift, especially on a ground like Suncorp Stadium."

Despite the rivalry between Brisbane and the Titans being in its infinancy, there was a long-standing feud between the Broncos and the Gold Coast, stemming way back to 1988 when they joined the then Winfield Cup in the same season as the now-defunct Giants.

While the Giants became the Seagulls, later changing to the Chargers before the Coast's nine-year hiatus from the national competition, one thing that never changed was that rivalry.

And with league gaining plenty of negative publicity in the opening two months of the season, through salary cap accusations levelled at the Titans, to player salaries and the furore surrounding the Storm's breaches, according to Prince this clash could not have come at a better time.

"When you're playing against the Broncos the Heritage Rounds are the best and you think back to the days when those teams played against each other," said Prince, himself a former Bronco who left the club in 2003.

"For mine, you're always thankful of this game. With the amount of bad publicity we have had -- we certainly need this round.

"Everyone's looking forward to it, I'm no different and while I am a player, I'm also a league fan.

"I will be looking forward to getting a win tomorrow night but also kicking back Saturday and Sunday and watching other teams run around."

And if the Heritage Round has him excited, so too does the form of his squad.

"We have worked hard on team and personal goals and what we needed to achieve.

"Even when we are behind on the scoreboard everyone's not losing their lollies.

"They're all composed behind the line, there's not a lot of jibberish talk -- we seem to stick to our game plan a lot more throughout the match and there's no focus lost on what we need to do to get the win."

Peter Wallace says Broncos can emulate 2009 Eels with late charge to NRL grand final

RETURNING halfback Peter Wallace is adamant the Broncos can replicate the "Electric Eels" of 2009 by mounting a better-late-then-never title raid.

Ahead of Friday night's derby against the Gold Coast Titans at Suncorp Stadium, Wallace has moved to soften his 13th-placed club's predicament.

And while Brisbane don't have Jarryd Hayne to light up their bold finals bid after a horror start to 2010, they do have strike weapon Justin Hodges still in cotton wool.

"Are we back? Ask me in a month and I'll tell you," the star No. 7 said.

"No way have we written the season off, there's a lot of footy to go.

"Parramatta showed that last year, they were busted until after Origin last year, anything can happen. We go out there every week, trying to do our best."

Wallace declared the club's situation less stressful than last year's horrendous mid-season slump that Brisbane emerged from in stunning fashion to gallop to the preliminary finals.

"They've both been pretty hard times but I think last year was actually harder," Wallace said.

"For the blokes who went through it last year, you know if you keep working hard like we did last year, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

"Things do turn around like they did last year. Hopefully that'll happen this week.

"You don't want to make excuses but if you can take a positive out of it, it's that we've been able to blood a few of the young blokes and give them a shot in first grade."

The besieged Broncos' spirits have soared since last Sunday's shock 36-14 win in Melbourne.

The return of several stars players, headlined by Wallace, has added to the optimism ahead of an acid test against second-placed Gold Coast.

Wallace has also rubbished speculation of widespread discontent among the club's playing and coaching staff amid a horror start to 2010.

"You don't hear about any of that when the team's winning, do you?" Wallace said.

"It's the same with any footy team. As soon as you see a team going bad, there's always stuff being said, no one is happy. None of that is true.

"There was no secret we were going through a bad patch there but all the boys get on great, the coaching staff is great, everything is fine. We just haven't been going too well on the field.

"It's not real easy when you go through a bad patch. It's always hard. Training is harder, playing the game is harder, when you're winning everything is sweet.

"But everyone's been working hard and the attitude has been great. All the boys get along great as well."

Fullback Josh Hoffman (ribs) trained strongly on Thursday and is a certain starter.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

Thousands Of Tickets Still Available

With just over 24 hours until kick off there are still thousands of tickets available for the WOW Brisbane Broncos Heritage Round local blockbuster against the Gold Coast Titans.

Be there to witness the annual showdown live at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night, as Darren Lockyer and Scott Prince fight it out for this year's bragging rights.

Tomorrow night's game also marks Corey Parker's 200th first grade game for the Broncos, a major milestone for any player.

Players from both teams will be trying to prove they're worthy of Origin selection, so it promises to be a ferocious battle.

Gates will open at 5pm, with the under 20's taking the field at 5.20pm. All the main game action will then burst onto the field at 7.30pm.

The XXXX Bitter Angels will be performing during the pre-match entertainment, and the most passionate Broncos and Titans supporters will be invited to participate in the XXXX Bitter Can Relay.

One lucky person in the crowd will also win a 50-inch Panasonic television, courtesy of WOW Sight and Sound.

With plenty of tickets still available, NRL junior passes will definitely be accepted at the gates tomorrow night.

Source: Broncos

Taped-up Broncos return for derby

There is a scene in Billy Birmingham's 12th Man when the sticky tape holding together notoriously brittle West Australian left-arm quick, Bruce Reid, comes unstuck. The consequences on his health are dire. As he approaches the delivery stride, he snaps in half.

Things aren't quite that bad at Red Hill. In saying that, the strapper for the Brisbane Broncos may have had to call in extra help to apply the miles of tape to the legs of players as they put the final polish on preparations for tonight's derby against the Gold Coast at Suncorp Stadium.

Knees - ironically, the Achilles heel of the Broncos injury front this season - were the popular choice. Thankfully, this time the layers of tape were neither keeping the pieces in place nor preventing them from bursting apart.

Advertisement: Story continues belowIt's more of a preventative measure, insists coach Ivan Henjak, who has every reason to be overcautious given the number of ligaments and tendons that have stretched or snapped like rubber bands in 2010.

Even with Justin Hodges and his bung knee eating a burger at the traditional pre-game barbecue, there was still enough protective adhesive on teh training paddock to hold together the Storey Bridge. Matt Gillett, the utility player who trained at fullback, was one patient, as was the returning Peter Wallace.

Antonio Winterstein bucked the trend with a strapped thigh but Jharal Yow Yeh had things back on track, with the knee he injured in the pre-season All Star game given ample support.

"There's a bit of super glue and tape. It doesn't exude a lot of confidence when you see so much strapping," Henjak said.

"But it's just good to see all of those good players back. The strapping is precautionary but they're all confident and fine. They're ready to go."

Morale is on an upward trend within the club after a win over Melbourne last week. Influential players, like Wallace, are returning to action and suddenly the depth looks reassuring.

There is news that former Brisbane prop Ben Hannant is just days away from announcing his return from the Bulldogs. Such is the mood that hopes have been rekindled that Israel Folau - lost to the code just a fortnight ago as the NRL threatened to implode - may stick around for another two seasons.

Of course, there is the minor matter of being 13th on the NRL ladder, while the Titans are perched on top of the tree. None of that will matter tonight, given the real and hard-fought rivalry that has been established between the clubs.

And there is, of course, the small matter of the Titans suggesting Darren Lockyer, Brisbane's iconic skipper, took a dive during the Broncos' victorious finals foray to Skilled Park last year.

As for Hannant, whose family connections are making him desperate for a return to Queensland, Henjak is expecting a decision sooner than later. Given Petero Civoniceva's new deal at the Panthers, it's a transaction the club is keen to complete.

"I think it's pretty widely acknowledged that we're in negotiations with Ben Hannant and hopefully we will have an answer soon with that," the club's newly appointed general manager of football operations Andrew Gee said.

The new hope for Folau appears to be sparked by Johnathan Thurston's rejection of the overtures of rugby and the momentum from the win over the Storm. Now the Broncos could make him a new offer to retain his services.

"We haven't (made him a new offer) as of yet, but we're working on it," Gee said. "I think, any rugby league club, or for that matter any football code in the world would love to have him."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/

Darren Lockyer shrugs off dive slur as Broncos get set for Titans clash

IT'S the ugly slur on Broncos legend Darren Lockyer that threatens to turn Friday night's derby against the Titans at Suncorp Stadium nasty.

Lockyer, Australia's record-breaking Test captain, was forced to defend his integrity last September when the Gold Coast camp labelled him a "diver" in a bitter aftermath to their semi-final loss to Brisbane at Skilled Park.

The Titans' view of the incident, when Brisbane slotted a penalty goal after Lockyer's collision with ex-Titans flyer Chris Walker, sparked a heated war of words.

Titans skipper Scott Prince told the post-match press conference: "Have they given out awards for the Logies this year?".

Several Titans players also alleged Lockyer was too sheepish to look them in the eye as Corey Parker lined up the penalty kick, and said they had "lost some respect" for the Broncos legend.

Broncos coach Ivan Henjak argued the comments "lacked decency and respect" for the Test captain, who later said he had been dazed.

It is understood the Titans camp remains convinced Lockyer deliberately milked a penalty for his team, adding spice to Friday night's derby stoush.

But on Thursday night the Broncos champion, who stands among the most esteemed players to lace on a boot, insisted the slur had failed to rattle his cage.

"It's not an issue for me, it doesn't worry me one bit," Lockyer said.

"Once I play a game, it's history for me. I'm more interested in (Friday night)".

Lockyer has twice broken Gold Coast hearts with derby-winning field goals. Tonight the 33-year-old plays his third game in eight days and goes head-to-head with Titans "Bruise Brother" Greg Bird.

But Henjak declared it would be foolish for the Titans to target the champion No.6.

"I don't want to try to hide him," Henjak declared.

"He's the captain of our side, he's got to lead by example, and I'm sure he will.

"He'll handle it. He's got plenty of experience. He looks pretty fresh and Sammy (fellow Test forward Sam Thaiday) looks pretty fresh."

Lockyer's busy schedule began last Friday night when he led the Roos to a Test win over the Kiwis.

Less then 48 hours later he was back at Melbourne's AAMI Park, piloting his club's shock slaying of the Storm.

On Friday night at The Cauldron he will attempt to continue the rescue mission of Brisbane's endangered 2010 finals tilt, before joining the Maroons on Tuesday ahead of Origin I in Sydney on May 26.

He has another torrid task against Bird, who has one final chance to impress NSW selectors.

"He's (Bird) a class player, he's a big aggressive guy," Henjak said.

"He carries the footy really well. He's a good defender.

"He's got a kicking game as well. He brings a lot.

"He's just another foil for (Preston) Campbell, (Scott) Prince and (Nathan) Friend."

Winning ugly, pretty or however it comes remains Brisbane's sole objective against the gritty Titans.

"Our focus is not to blow anyone away, it's to just stay in there for 80 minutes," Henjak said.

"I'd love to see a grind, I'd love to see us win a grind, I really would."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/

Heading in now, SEE YOU THERE!

GO THE GOLD COAST TITANS!

Banned

i bloddy knew folou would get another try, he already has 2.

Banned

thats the last straw, im completely over the titans, i have given them more then enough chances but of course i'm slapped in the face whenever i watch them play.

QLD Cup Titan

Well that was probably our worst defensive game - certainly not a happy household here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    thats the last straw, im completely over the titans, i have given them more then enough chances but of course i'm slapped in the face whenever i watch them play.
    Great supporter u are, tell u what u stick with the Southpark Tigers
    #itaintweaktospeak

Why do we play **** against the broncos Why Why
    2012 TITANS Will be a force to be reckoned with