Page 97 of 160 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2400

NZFan. Good argument mate. However I think that we have a good one in Edi in the 18s that looks good. Could bring him in 2020 for a 21 start.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    NZFan. Good argument mate. However I think that we have a good one in Edi in the 18s that looks good. Could bring him in 2020 for a 21 start.
    Does he look the goods? I know nothing about him. Local juniors are always a preference but 2-3 years is a long time to wait

Immortal

Edit Ambrosyev was the Qld U16 hooker last year and player of the match in the Qld MM Cup final this year plus Jed Edwards is also with the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Does he look the goods? I know nothing about him. Local juniors are always a preference but 2-3 years is a long time to wait

How about releasing Peats and Rein and throw some money at Brandon Smith?

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Nice first few posts mate. I like your train of thought here but I'd like to offer an alternative. With this whole coach fiasco going on at the moment its hard to envision us going after players at this present time but there is one guys off contract at the moment that I think the club should be going very hard at. Although it will involve us spending money that we don't currently have, I think we could fit him in if we made the right moves.

I think that player should be Jake Turpin. Now hear me out, with Cam Smith being the focus of every second rugby league TV show this week we have got to see what makes him tick and the key traits that has made him so successful. Watching one of the shows this week it became clear that his game is based around four core skills; Leadership, game management, defence and kicking. The first two are undoubtedly what most people focus on when talking about Smith but the other two aspects are just as important. Now at the moment there is only really two class hookers in the game (Smith and Cook) and both are locked into contracts, we have no chance of getting them, so we should instead look to the future. I think out of all of the hookers on the market now Turpin is the one who resembles Smith the closest and heres how:

Defence: Turpin is a smaller guy similar to Smith but his defence speaks for itself. He doesn't miss many tackles and he still has the ability to whack someone from time to time. His technique is vey similar to Smiths also. He tends to tackle around the waist/upper thigh and can control the play of the ball. When comparing that to our present dummy half options: Peats tackles hard and high but his mobility can sometimes be found out around the ruck and is prone to bouncing off tackles. Rein on the other hand tends to tackle low. He is a bit quicker getting to players but his tackle technique allows for quick play the balls. He don't need to have to strongest defensive dummy half in the league but we need someone is willing to stuck into there job in a no-fuss manner.

Kicking: Since our conception we have never really had a dummy half that can kick. Smiths kicking is not talked about as much as it should be in my opinion. The fact that he can kick well 3-4 times a game takes the pressure of his halves, which I think would benefit Taylor immensely. Turpin has a great kicking game which he is continuing to improve by playing in the halves at the Bronco's (similar to Smith how he starting off in the halves). This point alone separates Turpin from all of the other up and coming hookers in the competition in my opinion.

Leadership and game management: Obviously you can't make any sort of comparison between Smith and Turpin when it comes to these two points. However, when listening to Smith talk it is clear that he has refined these skills over time. By all accounts Turpin is a great person off the field, eager to do the hard yards, and soak up any information given to him. Now barring Bellamy, who is best placed to give an insight into how Smith evolved and refined these skills? I'm going to say Mal.

That kind of moves me onto the the point of how we get him. Firstly, Peats is signed on for next season and Rein the next two. We need to get rid of one of these players to free up cap space but also we need to show him that there is an opportunity here for him as well. I'd consider keeping Peats for the next season and have Turpin starting from the bench. Not only would this keep Peats on his toes but it would give Turpin a good chance to learn a few things from Peats. I know Peats hasn't had a great season but he has played SoO and has been a big part of the club since getting here. I think he have a better chance offloading Rein. He came here with Brennan and if he was told that he is looking at the next two years in reserve grade then I bet he would consider a switch to the ESL while his value is still high. Turpin could take over the main duties in a year when Peats comes off his contract - instead of two which he would be looking at if we kept Rein.

The other factor that we cold use to entice him here is Mal. As I touched on before, his guidance could be a major factor for turning Turpin into a world class hooker. Furthermore, if we are using the Melbourne system as an example, we already have two of three components in place for a 'big three' of our own. Yes Ash has had his downs these last two seasons but he certainly has the potential to be a star and we all know what Brimson can do. Under the correct mentoring from Mal (and whoever the new coach turns out to be), there would be potential to nurture to a long term spine that could deliver success. We would have to move fast though, he is looking a re-signing for another year at the Bronco's and after that his value would rocket I'd imagine.
    Thanks for the kudos, mate. I've lurked the forum for years (I believe I won the tipping comp last year or the year before as a lurker... sorry about that) but put off signing up due to lack of time to actively participate. However, Freddy's ignorant comments about relocating us to Perth really stoked the fire in the belly, so here I am.

I must admit that I never really considered chasing Turpin. I was very impressed with what I saw when we beat the Broncos recently. He was one of the few who was actually putting in on their side. I believe he was also one of the main factors in their recent win over the Sharks with a cobbled-together spine and no Milford. McCullough is locked up until 2021 or 2022 isn't he? Unless they can somehow release him, Turpin will undoubtedly move on. He offers too much to be stuck as a bench hooker for another 2-3 seasons, and I agree with you 100% on your assessment now that I think about it. I know that if I were a young hooker looking to stake my claim as the first choice 9 at a new club, I'd be tempted to go where Nathan Peats is. Not because Peats is bad, but because he's always injured.

I must say that I am a big fan of Parcell though after watching him in his Ipswich days. I still remember being in awe at that 5 try effort. If we can't get Turpin, I really believe we should go after Parcell. I still don't understand why he left the NRL in the first place. The other one we should've gone hard at is Reece Robson. I thought we would've been in with a chance given Mal's comments but it seems that all it did was inflate his value and make others give him a closer look. Has he been confirmed to have signed with the Cowboys? I recall there was a lot of buzz about it a few months back but don't know if it was ever made official.

I do like that all the blokes in the discussion are Queenslanders though (I am counting Murwillumbah as part of Queensland for the sake of the argument -- it's close enough).

Quote Originally Posted by Blade07 View Post
    How about releasing Peats and Rein and throw some money at Brandon Smith?
    Would be a terrific trade
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Yes, Ediq keeps on improving every year. Speed and tenacity a feature of his game. Much better prospect then Jed Edwards who seems injury prone.

Junior

The only way forward for this club will be through local juniors.
    We are no longer in a position where we are able to bring in quality talent at market price. There is not a hope in hell of paying unders.
    Whether we like it or not, we are now an unsuccessful club. To attract top talent, we are forced to pay overs. Given it also means relocation for most top players, it means BIG overs. This puts us at a massive disadvantage under the cap especially in comparision to Sydet based clubs. It therefore follows that the experienced players that do come, come for the wrong reasons. They come to park their career up for a while until they can get a "real" contract. Or worse still, see their careers out. The Gold Coast offers a pretty good lifestyle while you wait. No-one is coming here with the thought in their head that they might win a premiership.
    So how do local juniors interpret this? Are their expectations any higher? No, of course not. How many young guys have come here sprouting how grateful they are for the opportunity to play first grade? In their own minds, they've made it. They have reached their goal to play in the NRL. If they have aspirations beyond that, then they need to look at other clubs. They know (or more importantly their manager knows) that those aspirations won't be met here on the Gold Coast. It's why our best young juniors end up at the Broncos right? What would you do? The same goes for coach. They are here for the experience, or to park their careers up for a while until something better comes along.
    So how do we break the cycle?
    Local juniors.
    To their credit Henry and Brennan both knew this, and have made decent inroads in this direction. Unfortunately, they or the club (if you can separate the coach from the club) wasted too much cap space on trying to chase short term success at the same time by spending big money importing players who didn't buy in. This approach needs to be abandoned. We need to pay overs to our top local juniors to stay, or come back. We also need to stay patient and hold our nerve. This can only be successful though with the right mentor as coach to bring them though. I don't know who that is, but I can tell you who it isn't. It can not be someone who has their heart and soul invested in another club. Particularly the club just up the road, or the one on the Northern beaches. (Walters and Toovey, I'm looking at you) This would be a recipe for more of the same. It will need to be someone with plenty for NRL experience, a super coach, not a rookie with potential. Someone hard, but fair. Someone who demands work ethic and does not accept mediocrity. It will also be someone who can gain the respect of a handful of senior players (preferably also local) who will be necessary to provide leadership on and off the paddock.
    Only from that position will we be able to break the cycle and find success. It may not bring us the premiership we all desire, but until we gain some measure of consistent on field success and pride in the club, (albeit potentially limited) that we will be able to, not only attract top line talent. But top line talent who are willing to believe, and perform.
    Long story short, we aren't that far off. In Brimson, Sami, Kelly, Hipgrave, Whitbread and the like, we start from a good base. All now with some experience. In James, Arrow and Roberts we have some good leaders to help bring them through. Clean out some of the ballast Peats, Peachey etc. Bring in some of the fringe talent and the ones that got away. Spry, Turpin. And potential it could all turn around pretty quickly.
    So, who is the man for the job? There is only one choice.
    Bellamy.
    The only thing is.... he's not available.
    Bugger.

Marvin the Titan, what a post. I agree with you 100%.

i agree with a lot of that, but i think Bellamy's heart and soul is as much with Melbourne as Tooveys is with Manly, although neither of them bleat on about it as much as Kevvie does Brisbane.

He is obviously a lot more accomplished than them as a coach so its worth it, but i don't think Toovey should be ruled out due to it either. i cant really recall him spruiking Manly too much when i see him on TV, despite his lengthy history with them.

QLD Cup

[QUOTE=Marvin the Titan;394990]The only way forward for this club will be through local juniors........etc

Great post. I would stay interested if we saw continued improvement in our juniors. Success is so much a matter of mind set... trust all those who are coachable get rid of the talented but uncoachable and give others an opportunity. Drop those who dont buy in regardless of their contract situation.

I would be interested to see a list of past juniors who are now with other clubs and in or on the verge of first grade. Eg Hymel Hunt and Greg Lelesiou (sp?) Are they living up to their hype?

‘Arrow will leave Titans’: Three Sydney clubs launch bid for Maroons star
    Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Western Sydney is the $3.2 million battleground for Queensland Origin star Jai Arrow.

The front-rower, who is off contract at the Titans after next season, has become a priority target for Parramatta, Canterbury and Wests Tigers — even though they can’t make a play for him until he becomes a free agent from November 1 this year.

Arrow, 24, has played in the past four successive State of Origin games for Queensland, running for a total of 339m.

He played in Origin I in the recently completed series won by NSW before a syndesmosis injury ruled him out of games two and three.

Gold Coast are understandably desperate to nail down Arrow to a new contract but he is a man in demand.

Manly will also be keeping an eye on his contract developments given he is off contract at the same time as Sea Eagles prop Marty Taupau.

Parramatta and Wests Tigers have heavily discussed Arrow in recent weeks, while Canterbury’s only concern is what he is likely to fetch on the open market.

Insiders claim Arrow would be worth between $700,000 and $800,000 a season.

Gold Coast have started negotiations with Arrow for a three- to four-year extension to his contract.

However, this week’s sacking of Titans head coach Garth Brennan has muddied the waters somewhat in regards to retaining Arrow.

He and his management team want to know who will be coaching Gold Coast before recommitting to the club.

The pressure is building on Titans head of performance and culture, Mal Meninga, to get the deal done but one prominent NRL coach said: “Arrow will leave Gold Coast. Why would he want to stay there?

“This will be a massive test for Mal. The Titans can’t afford to lose him. They will try and get him done as soon as possible.”

The embattled Gold Coast know it’s imperative to re-sign Arrow, who has become a jewel in their playing roster.

The Titans are continuing their search for a new coach, and among the top contenders is Justin Holbrook, as revealed in The Daily Telegraph on Monday.

Titans officials have made contact with Holbrook, who has a stunning 80 per cent success rate with St Helens in the English Super League.

Craig Fitzgibbon and Anthony Griffin are other strong candidates.

Some at the Titans want Meninga to switch roles and coach the club.

Arrow played with Brisbane in 2016 and 2017 before a shock switch to Gold Coast. He had previously played with Burleigh Bears.
    Last edited by TitansState; 16-07-19 at 05:41 PM.

Inactive User

Don’t freak out, this is a quality local young man. He will stay home with us.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by TitansState View Post
    ‘Arrow will leave Titans’: Three Sydney clubs launch bid for Maroons star
    Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Western Sydney is the $3.2 million battleground for Queensland Origin star Jai Arrow.

The front-rower, who is off contract at the Titans after next season, has become a priority target for Parramatta, Canterbury and Wests Tigers — even though they can’t make a play for him until he becomes a free agent from November 1 this year.

Arrow, 24, has played in the past four successive State of Origin games for Queensland, running for a total of 339m.

He played in Origin I in the recently completed series won by NSW before a syndesmosis injury ruled him out of games two and three.

Gold Coast are understandably desperate to nail down Arrow to a new contract but he is a man in demand.

Manly will also be keeping an eye on his contract developments given he is off contract at the same time as Sea Eagles prop Marty Taupau.

Parramatta and Wests Tigers have heavily discussed Arrow in recent weeks, while Canterbury’s only concern is what he is likely to fetch on the open market.

Insiders claim Arrow would be worth between $700,000 and $800,000 a season.

Gold Coast have started negotiations with Arrow for a three- to four-year extension to his contract.

However, this week’s sacking of Titans head coach Garth Brennan has muddied the waters somewhat in regards to retaining Arrow.

He and his management team want to know who will be coaching Gold Coast before recommitting to the club.

The pressure is building on Titans head of performance and culture, Mal Meninga, to get the deal done but one prominent NRL coach said: “Arrow will leave Gold Coast. Why would he want to stay there?

“This will be a massive test for Mal. The Titans can’t afford to lose him. They will try and get him done as soon as possible.”

The embattled Gold Coast know it’s imperative to re-sign Arrow, who has become a jewel in their playing roster.

The Titans are continuing their search for a new coach, and among the top contenders is Justin Holbrook, as revealed in The Daily Telegraph on Monday.

Titans officials have made contact with Holbrook, who has a stunning 80 per cent success rate with St Helens in the English Super League.

Craig Fitzgibbon and Anthony Griffin are other strong candidates.

Some at the Titans want Meninga to switch roles and coach the club.

Arrow played with Brisbane in 2016 and 2017 before a shock switch to Gold Coast. He had previously played with Burleigh Bears.
    Jesus, what a headline that is not substantiated by the actual article. Their source is one anonymous "prominent NRL coach" who claims that Arrow will leave and then follows up with his own question of why he would want to stay, indicating that he's only speculating. Germalism at its finest.