Page 96 of 160 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 2400
    Immortal

Did not get a lot of ball mate, but ran hard even though he had limited space

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Didn’t Spry play too? If so any comments on his game?

Blindside: Huge factor in Jai Arrow’s Titans decision; Kevvie’s debutant 17
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    July 12, 2019 7:00am

Queensland Origin ironman Jai Arrow has started contract talks with the Titans as several NRL rivals attempt to poach the inspirational forward from the Gold Coast.

Blindside can reveal Titans culture-and-performance chief Mal Meninga has begun moves to keep Arrow at the Gold Coast for the long haul at a time when the Maroons star is being targeted by a number of NRL clubs.

Arrow is off-contract at the end of next year, meaning he can start formal negotiations with NRL rivals from November 1. But Meninga and Titans’ recruitment chief Ezra Howe are mindful of poaching attempts and are keen to secure Arrow for an extended period before the battle for his signature becomes a big-money bidding war.

By virtue of his outstanding form for the Titans and Queensland over the past 18 months, Arrow would be one of the most sought-after forwards on the open market with the ability to earn upwards of $700,000 a season.

But Arrow’s preference is to stay and if the Titans can table a palatable deal, the former Bronco is prepared to accept slightly less to stay loyal to the club that gave him his big break in the NRL.

One critical factor in negotiations is the direction of the club and the future of coach Garth Brennan.

Arrow is a fan of Brennan but with Meninga set to table a formal report to the Titans board on Monday that could lead to the coach’s demise, the Maroons tackling machine is keen for stability at Parkwood.

The Titans can’t afford to lose Arrow. He is a future captain and a player the Titans can build their future around.

*END ARTICLE*

We've shot ourselves in the foot by paying $600k for Boyd and Wallace. Puts Arrows price right up there with the likes of Burgess and Jake Trbojevic. So up around the million dollar mark. Only thing he has going against him is his injury history.

- - - Updated - - -

MORE GOLD RAIDS

The Broncos’ raid on the Titans’ ranks is not over yet. Blindside hears Brisbane recruitment chiefs are eyeing more young Gold Coasters after securing promising utility back Jesse Arthars to a two-year deal on Wednesday.

*from the same article as above*

Inactive User

I think Arrow will cope just fine with the sacking of Brennan. Badel is a hater and stirring the pot there. Regarding any further Drongoe poaching well I’d suggest decisive action by the Board in despatching Brennan out of our city and putting in an exciting new Coach and Staff would put an end to that.

Drongoes must be cheating the salary cap still. Despicable organisation.

QLD Cup

Spot on Bods, of course Arrow is going to say that. He is very professional so he would never come out and say anything other than he supports the coach. I'd take this article with a grain of salt. It is encouraging to see that the club is acting now though and has identified how important this signing is. I'd happily give him 8-900k per season. You know that you will get every cent back of that back in effort from Arrow.

First Grader

Broncos sign TPJ for 600k...we sign shannon boyd for 600k. I used to be big on the broncos and TPAs but i tend to think its just that we havnt got the right people in the right position to make the right choices...

700k - 800k maybe 850 is fair price for jai.

We have so much deadwood we need offload its ridiculous.

Mdrew or anyone else that can answer. Who else is the Bro cos looking to sign from us ?
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Mdrew or anyone else that can answer. Who else is the Bro cos looking to sign from us ?
    I know diddly but it was a Badel hate article. I think he was writing BS because he loves piling in on us when given half a chance.
    The Administration of our club can’t stand him.

Immortal

Not 100% sure mate but we have some class coming through though and they are not too far away

Arrow would be money well spent. Unlike the large number of players our club has paid massive overs for. We got to keep him.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

TPJ just got about $750k ish so that’s where I see Arrow at.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

First Grader

TPJ just got about $750k ish so that’s where I see Arrow at.
    Funny i heard 600k...think it was 2.4 over 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Funny i heard 600k...think it was 2.4 over 4 years
    Well he received offers of the $800k mark from Newcastle at least. Guess that Broncos loyalty is worth between $50 and $200K a season.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Well he received offers of the $800k mark from Newcastle at least. Guess that Broncos loyalty is worth between $50 and $200K a season.
    JB - Do brown paper bags hold that much cash?

Rep Player

Would love to see us bring Matt Parcell back from ESL and move Peats and Rein on.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Would love to see us bring Matt Parcell back from ESL and move Peats and Rein on.
    Nice first few posts mate. I like your train of thought here but I'd like to offer an alternative. With this whole coach fiasco going on at the moment its hard to envision us going after players at this present time but there is one guys off contract at the moment that I think the club should be going very hard at. Although it will involve us spending money that we don't currently have, I think we could fit him in if we made the right moves.

I think that player should be Jake Turpin. Now hear me out, with Cam Smith being the focus of every second rugby league TV show this week we have got to see what makes him tick and the key traits that has made him so successful. Watching one of the shows this week it became clear that his game is based around four core skills; Leadership, game management, defence and kicking. The first two are undoubtedly what most people focus on when talking about Smith but the other two aspects are just as important. Now at the moment there is only really two class hookers in the game (Smith and Cook) and both are locked into contracts, we have no chance of getting them, so we should instead look to the future. I think out of all of the hookers on the market now Turpin is the one who resembles Smith the closest and heres how:

Defence: Turpin is a smaller guy similar to Smith but his defence speaks for itself. He doesn't miss many tackles and he still has the ability to whack someone from time to time. His technique is vey similar to Smiths also. He tends to tackle around the waist/upper thigh and can control the play of the ball. When comparing that to our present dummy half options: Peats tackles hard and high but his mobility can sometimes be found out around the ruck and is prone to bouncing off tackles. Rein on the other hand tends to tackle low. He is a bit quicker getting to players but his tackle technique allows for quick play the balls. He don't need to have to strongest defensive dummy half in the league but we need someone is willing to stuck into there job in a no-fuss manner.

Kicking: Since our conception we have never really had a dummy half that can kick. Smiths kicking is not talked about as much as it should be in my opinion. The fact that he can kick well 3-4 times a game takes the pressure of his halves, which I think would benefit Taylor immensely. Turpin has a great kicking game which he is continuing to improve by playing in the halves at the Bronco's (similar to Smith how he starting off in the halves). This point alone separates Turpin from all of the other up and coming hookers in the competition in my opinion.

Leadership and game management: Obviously you can't make any sort of comparison between Smith and Turpin when it comes to these two points. However, when listening to Smith talk it is clear that he has refined these skills over time. By all accounts Turpin is a great person off the field, eager to do the hard yards, and soak up any information given to him. Now barring Bellamy, who is best placed to give an insight into how Smith evolved and refined these skills? I'm going to say Mal.

That kind of moves me onto the the point of how we get him. Firstly, Peats is signed on for next season and Rein the next two. We need to get rid of one of these players to free up cap space but also we need to show him that there is an opportunity here for him as well. I'd consider keeping Peats for the next season and have Turpin starting from the bench. Not only would this keep Peats on his toes but it would give Turpin a good chance to learn a few things from Peats. I know Peats hasn't had a great season but he has played SoO and has been a big part of the club since getting here. I think he have a better chance offloading Rein. He came here with Brennan and if he was told that he is looking at the next two years in reserve grade then I bet he would consider a switch to the ESL while his value is still high. Turpin could take over the main duties in a year when Peats comes off his contract - instead of two which he would be looking at if we kept Rein.

The other factor that we cold use to entice him here is Mal. As I touched on before, his guidance could be a major factor for turning Turpin into a world class hooker. Furthermore, if we are using the Melbourne system as an example, we already have two of three components in place for a 'big three' of our own. Yes Ash has had his downs these last two seasons but he certainly has the potential to be a star and we all know what Brimson can do. Under the correct mentoring from Mal (and whoever the new coach turns out to be), there would be potential to nurture to a long term spine that could deliver success. We would have to move fast though, he is looking a re-signing for another year at the Bronco's and after that his value would rocket I'd imagine.