Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I had a passing interest in it until a couple of mates convinced me to come and play. Played 4 seasons in the Sydney league. Lots of fun and got belted big time once with a legal hit that in league would have been penalised. Played as a wide receiver.

Amazes me how much fans value depth of roster. So much conversation around 2nd and 3rd string players. What are injury occurences like? Do you guys think more or less frequent than NRL, and how would the usual severity of injury compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Amazes me how much fans value depth of roster. So much conversation around 2nd and 3rd string players. What are injury occurences like? Do you guys think more or less frequent than NRL, and how would the usual severity of injury compare?
    Some of these guys take a hit and come straight off and into the "tent" for valuation. Most new stadiums have MRI's in the stadium.

ACL's are common. Have a look at Dak Prescott's injury last year, that was the worst of the year. At lot of the Running Backs tend not to last the season if they have a high work rate so a lot of the teams are starting to use a committee or a number of players to share the work load. They will have a specific RB they use for specific situations (close to the end zone etc) or for 3rd downs.

QB's are made of crystal so they are very protected, mainly because they are paid so much and you need them healthy every week.

Toward the back end of the season some rookies will get a chance to save the 1st string.

Trades are common throughout the year and players being released are common too. It's a brutal sport contract wise. You don't perform they'll pay you our your minimum and send you to free agency. Players can also be prima donnas and sit out entire seasons if they don't feel they are getting good deals or longer contracts with guaranteed payouts.

They really use their full rosters over there so good depth is vital.
    The Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl a few years ago with their "backup" Quarterback playing the last couple of regular season games and the entire finals series so they place a premium on quality depth.
    It is a power based game and there are times when players are on the field for an "in NFL terms" extended period and need a break and a 2nd string player who can just come in and play at the top level is vital.

Jordan Mailata has been named by the Phili Eagles as the starting Left Tackle this year. Massive props to him as it is one of the most important positions on the field. Most QB's are right handed so when they go to throw they are blind to their left side and therefore need a beast to protect them from blind hits.

Jordan Mailata played over the weekend, had a good game apparently. On Friday he signed a new contract with the Eagles. $55.5 million (US) guaranteed and additional bonus incentives. They 4 year deal could net him $108 million Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Jordan Mailata played over the weekend, had a good game apparently. On Friday he signed a new contract with the Eagles. $55.5 million (US) guaranteed and additional bonus incentives. They 4 year deal could net him $108 million Aus.
    Amazing. Good for him.

New Orleans are looking amazing after the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/americ...e81d6a7d68acd8

Some highlights from his game. Brutal

What is really outstanding about him is he had never played the game before going over a few years ago. He beat out people who have been playing the game since they were kids.
    Outstanding effort.
    And my Eagles got a first up win so it's a good start to the year.

My guy Justin Herbert really restoring faith in that surname

Hey lads just wanted to say thank you for introducing me to the NFL because I'm loving it. Have watched every Chargers game live since about week 3 and after getting my head around the different positional roles and rules, it's a helluva sport.

Looking forward to watching the playoffs (hopefully we make it as a wildcard) and the draft as well. Does anyone know if they show the draft live on NFL intl game pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Hey lads just wanted to say thank you for introducing me to the NFL because I'm loving it. Have watched every Chargers game live since about week 3 and after getting my head around the different positional roles and rules, it's a helluva sport.

Looking forward to watching the playoffs (hopefully we make it as a wildcard) and the draft as well. Does anyone know if they show the draft live on NFL intl game pass?
    Yeah draft is a huge event (with the exception of the last two covid years). Played out live over a few days, I think i was watching on Kayo but NFL game pass should have it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, Herbert has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Two games on Sunday morning for those that find it hard to watch during the week at work.

7:25am Vegas vs Cleveland
    11:20 New England vs Colts (should be a good game)

Free Agency madness but I love it...Chargers are getting a defence

Time to transition over here I think

How are we all feeling about our teams draft and free agency acquisitions (or losses)?

Chargers - we've turned our defence over after posting up a bottom 3 defence across most metrics last season. Big help in the secondary with JC Jackson coming in, and our edge rush goes to a new level with Khalil Mack joining Joey Bosa. Sebastian Joseph Day and Austin Johnson come in to plug the run D, with Kyle Van Noy also added as a likely edge 3. We went hard on the secondary in the draft to hopefully create some depth with CB's and Safety's taking up most the spots. With the QB quality in the AFC West, the edge rushers and secondary depth was really important.

Biggest concern for us is Right Tackle. Herbert has Zion Johnson coming in as RG but our RT options are fairly awful and I'm surprised this wasn't addressed in the free agency as well.

The expectation is that this team makes the playoffs and is competitive there too, even with a red-hot AFC West. Fingers crossed because lord knows I need it afer this Titans season