Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Walker count down has begun

No date set yet for Walker's first team return

THE countdown to Chris Walker's return has begun.

Uncertainty has surrounded the exact date of Walker's return to the Titans' top squad since he copped an eight-week in-house suspension for an alcohol-fuelled nightclub incident on April 7.

But Titans managing director Michael Searle yesterday confirmed Walker's ban would end on June 25, eight weeks after he entered a rehabilitation program for alcohol and psychological issues.

"He is still a contracted Titans player," said Searle. "He will be invited to come back to full-time training Monday week.

"He is obviously going to have to prove his fitness and then regain the trust of the coach and the playing staff."

Walker has been banished to the Queensland Cup and has proven a revelation for Titans feeder club Ipswich.

Earlier this week Walker was named for Queensland Country for the annual clash with City on June 23.

It puts him in strong contention to make the Queensland Residents side for the encounter with NSW Residents, which will be played as the curtain-raiser for Origin 3 at Suncorp Stadium on July 4.

The earliest Walker could play for the Titans is against the Warriors at Carrara on June 30.

"From my angle that (Walker's return to the NRL) is probably not going to happen overnight," said Searle.

"But he is going to have to take his opportunity when it comes up."

Titans coach John Cartwright confirmed Walker faced a tough fight to regain his starting wing spot.

"I honestly haven't thought about it," said Cartwright.

"He is not available at the moment so there is no point me thinking about it.

"We have still got two games to get through (before he comes back) and I am really happy with the guys we have got there at the moment.

"They have played the last two games for us, which we have won and I have got no reason to look outside those two guys (Matt Petersen and Jake Webster) at the moment to be honest. But there is a small chance anyone in the squad can play every week."

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Carn boys get him back in there, he didnt kill anyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I think management is doing the right thing about not rushing him back. Walker has had plenty of chances given to him at different clubs. This highlights to not only himself but also the rest of the team that the Titans will not compromise poor off-field behaviour just for the sake of having a player on the team.

Other clubs should take the Titan's lead and employ the same discipline (hint hint - Bulldogs!)

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackWillie View Post
    I think management is doing the right thing about not rushing him back. Walker has had plenty of chances given to him at different clubs. This highlights to not only himself but also the rest of the team that the Titans will not compromise poor off-field behaviour just for the sake of having a player on the team.
    I also agree that the Titans have managed Walker well so far but who's rushing him back?
    Once his 8 week penalty is up, he is availible for selection. If he's the best player for a certain position, why would Carty not pick him?

I think he should be selected in the side ASAP.
    If we have any hopes of entering into Semi Final Football we need our strongest possible side together to form a winning combination.
    I'm already excited at getting Preston and Chalky back added with Bailey and possibly Walker... That is a healthy team.

Junior Titan

peterson has done nothing wrong to deserve a demotion as well as webster... its going to take some time for walker to play first grade unless one of these players become injured/suspended/or wateva.. another option is puttin him in the centres if presto dont come back to full back and shift rogers back there..

QLD Cup Titan

Chris Walker has been selected to play Qld Country this week - end against City. The game is on the ABC at 2:00 O'clock. Do yourselves a favour and watch it! I make no secret of the fact that I'm a Chris Walker ,the football player ,Fan.

Despite his problems outside football, when in full flight Walker is amazing and it really is sad that we've potentially missed seeing him in full flight this year. Can't wait to see him back.

Regards, T-J.

titanz01 if that happen i rkn he move webster to center n walker to wing

cant wait to see chris back

Walker's future with Titans up in the air

SUSPENDED winger Chris Walker will return to Gold Coast Titans training on Monday but doubts have begun to surface whether the former Queensland flyer will play in the NRL again this season.

As Walker's eight-week in-house ban for an alcohol-related nightclub incident nears an end, it remains uncertain if the enigmatic talent will see any first grade before his contract expires at the end of the season.

It is understood Walker will return to the top squad well down the pecking order and will have to wait for his chance behind fellow wingers Matt Petersen, Jake Webster, Smith Samau and Lelea Paea.

With only 10 regular season games remaining after this weekend, the odds are stacked against Walker cracking the top grade.

Add to the mix the Gold Coast signing North Queensland flyer Brenton Bowen and 20-year-old Tigers winger/centre Ben Jeffery for 2008 and Walker's future starts to look cloudy.

Titans co-captain Luke Bailey has thrown his support behind Walker to resurrect his NRL career, saying the born competitor is determined to win back the respect of his peers.

"Everyone is good mates with Walks on the field and off the field and he knows he made a mistake and he has paid the penalty," said Bailey.

"He has copped it on the chin and now it is a matter of how he approaches getting back into the squad.

"But we are in the top five at the moment and the wingers we have got are going pretty good. I am sure he will enjoy the challenge."

While many believe Walker has done his time and should return to the Titans starting side, the reality is he still has to earn back the trust of teammates and coaching staff.

Titans coach John Cartwright is believed to still be disappointed with Walker, especially after he went out on a limb and threw him a lifeline at the end of last year just when it looked like the speedster would end up on the NRL scrap heap.

"I know that the coaching staff are still a bit filthy on it so he has not just got to play good games he has got to play and train out of his skin to get a start," said Bailey.

Walker has worked hard since being banished to the Queensland Cup, starring for Ipswich, who have surged into contention for the premiership.

His good form was rewarded with selection in the centres for Queensland Country when they clash with Queensland City at Wynnum on Saturday.

Walker is a good chance of then being selected in the Queensland residents team to take on NSW residents in the curtain-raiser to State of Origin 3 at Suncorp Stadium on July 4.

The club's No.1 winger Petersen said he expected competition for spots between the outside men to really heat up with the return of Walker.

"I don't think he will walk back into a starting spot," said Petersen.

"Jake (Webster) is playing all right at the moment, I am happy with how I am going and Smith Samau before he got hurt (hamstring) was going well and there is also Lelea (Paea) there.

"He is a great player and he is going to put pressure on all of us, which from a club point of view is only going to be a positive because he will push all us blokes to play better."

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I like the sound of his attitude since being suspended - if he maintains that then it will be only a matter of time - though he does have to re-earn the trust of CArty and co.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

I back him to get back into the Titans. It may just take a few weeks.

The Titans have done the best thing to help Chris but also the best thing by sending out a stern warning that player misconduct wont be tolerated.

Default Walker not yet on Coast outer

By Todd Balym and Steve Jancetic

June 22, 2007 GOLD Coast chief executive Michael Searle says Chris Walker has 10 weeks to prove himself worthy of a new contract after the Titans completed their backline roster for 2008.

The Titans signed Wests Tigers utility back Ben Jeffery on a two-year deal on Friday, while earlier this week they secured North Queensland's Brenton Bowen for three years.

With Preston Campbell, Jake Webster, Richie Mathers, Matt Petersen, Brett Delaney and Smith Samau already contracted for next season, the Titans have incredible depth in the outside backs and Walker looks like he could be surplus to needs.

Searle said there was still some money left for Walker next year, but he has to prove he is worth another risk on a short-term incentive deal.

Walker, who was thrown a one-year lifeline by the Titans in the pre-season, was about to be sacked earlier this year for an indiscretion after which he was diagnosed as an alcoholic with an anxiety disorder.

Just this week he returned to full-time training with the senior squad after his eight-week suspension and rehabilitation program but, despite strong Queensland Cup form, he faces an uphill battle to earn an NRL start.

"It's not the death knell for him but we can't sit back and wait for what-if scenarios either,'' said Searle.

"I have a duty to make sure we can put together the best possible side (next season).

"There's money there for Chris Walker next year on a deal that would not be dissimilar to what he has this year.

"I think we are comfortable with what we have there now (for next season) and if Chris were to come back it would be an extra and a bonus for us.

"To a certain extent he has to start again and knuckle down like he did in November (last year) and battle away and hopefully he has turned everything around.

"We all know he is an incredible footballer on the paddock, we just have to get him on the paddock.''

South Sydney, meanwhile, scoffed at suggestions it was trying to offload players in a bid to fit new recruit Craig Wing under the salary cap.

Wing signed a four-year deal worth a reported $250,000 a season earlier this week, sparking speculation veterans David Peachey, Luke Stuart, Stuart Webb and Joe Galuvao would be squeezed out for next year.

But the Rabbitohs today offered back rower Stuart a new deal, while prop Jaiman Lowe was re-signed for a further two years.

"We're not clearing room under the cap,'' Souths co-owner Peter Holmes a Court said.

"How many players are leaving St George this year? Eleven. How many are leaving the Roosters? Nine.

"How many are leaving Newcastle? 13. How many are leaving us? A couple.

"We're not clearing the decks at all. We're squeezing everyone in, we're being very careful with what we're doing.''

The Rabbitohs released a statement today claiming they were confident of securing Stuart to a new deal.

Lowe, who is suspended until next weekend after punching Gold Coast's Brett Delaney in round 11, will be joined at the club by younger brother Ben.

Ben Lowe, a 190cm 98kg prop/back rower, gained an immediate release from North Queensland and will play for Rabbitohs feeder club North Sydney this weekend.

Prop Michael Greenfield has also rejoined the Rabbitohs for the remainder of the season after spending the first half of the season at the Sharks.

AAP

source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Created by JEZZA

"The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all, is the person who argues with him."

He's done what the club has asked him, his ban is over and he is playing great footy for the Jets. I say get him back in the NRL so he can prove he deserves to be a Titan for the rest of this season and again next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.