Default Broncos steeled for Petero fight

Broncos steeled for Petero fight

By Brent Read
    June 04, 2007

BRISBANE hit a hurdle in its attempt to re-sign Petero Civoniceva after contract talks stalled and at least two other clubs showed interest in the Queensland forward.

Brisbane has been in negotiations with Civoniceva for some time but, contrary to reports which suggested his management was working closely with the club, Brisbane has not heard from his camp since before the first State of Origin game two weeks ago.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen, clearly frustrated with the inactivity, said he expected to reopen talks this week as the club looked to shore up its remaining off-contract players.

They include Civoniceva, Justin Hodges and Shaun Berrigan, with Hodges expected to re-sign and Berrigan likely to accept a lucrative offer from England.

"We will have further talks with his management this week and it looks like we may have a battle on our hands to retain him," Cullen said.

"I spoke to (his management) the Tuesday before Origin I. They said they would talk to Petero after Origin and I haven't heard from them since."

Brisbane has been among the most active clubs in the player market over the past week, securing Penrith pair Peter Wallace and Joel Clinton for next season.

The club has also retained young stars Joel Moon and Darius Boyd while wing Steve Michaels is close to signing a new deal.

Manager David Phillips, who spoke to Civoniceva yesterday, said the plan was still to exhaust all avenues with Brisbane, the club with which he has played his entire first-grade career.

"His priority has always been to stay with Brisbane," Phillips said. "Hopefully we can work everything out. If not, we're going to have to go down that avenue (of looking to other clubs)."

Asked about talks stalling with Broncos, Phillips said: "There has been a bit of a gap. I haven't been able to catch up with him."

Meanwhile, Newcastle halfback Luke Walsh has revealed the advice of Danny Buderus and Andrew Johns, and the influence of coach Brian Smith, convinced him to spurn offers from rival clubs and re-sign with Knights for a further two seasons.

In a significant fillip for Smith as he continues the process of regeneration at Newcastle, Walsh committed his future to the club only hours before Saturday night's emotional win over Sydney Roosters at Gosford Stadium.

Bulldogs and Cronulla had expressed interest in signing the 20-year-old, who is viewed as Knights' long-term halfback despite the presence of New South Wales No.7 Jarrod Mullen.

Mullen is likely to shift to five-eighth on a permanent basis when Newcastle officials feel Walsh is ready for an extended stint in first grade.

Walsh, who made his first-grade debut in place of the injured Mullen (torn calf) against Roosters, yesterday said he spoke to both Buderus and Johns before electing to remain in Newcastle.

"I had a little talk to Bedsy (Buderus) and Joey (Johns) about it," Walsh said. "They just said money isn't everything. Newcastle is where your family is and all your mates. The club has been great to me.

"I couldn't see myself leaving Newcastle. I'm pretty happy."

Walsh also said Smith had been an influential figure in his decision.

The Newcastle coach was the target of heavy criticism last week after claims he was destroying the fabric of the club by allowing several long-standing players to leave. Forward Clint Newton made a mid-season switch to Melbourne, prop Adam Woolnough announced he would join Penrith next season and fellow prop Josh Perry is expected to head to Manly in 2008.

However, the past 48 hours have been among the best in Walsh's short time with Knights who scored a highly charged 22-18 win over bottom-placed Roosters.

"He's a big reason why I stayed," Walsh said of Smith.

"He's an unbelievable coach. This pre-season he has taught me a lot."

The Australian

Do you reckon the Titans are a chance? Our club has proved that it isn't afraid to go after the big signings and can always surprise us.

He'd be just what we need. Being a club close to Brisbane would also be a massive advantage when trying to sign any Broncos, the prospect of shifting their families would be a major detracting factor.

I can't see the Broncos letting him go though, but who knows what their plans are.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup Titan

Sure he will stay at Broncos & sounds like negotiations will speed up now.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Do you reckon the Titans are a chance? Our club has proved that it isn't afraid to go after the big signings and can always surprise us.

He'd be just what we need. Being a club close to Brisbane would also be a massive advantage when trying to sign any Broncos, the prospect of shifting their families would be a major detracting factor.

I can't see the Broncos letting him go though, but who knows what their plans are.
    I'd love to see him in a Titans jersey, but will be satisfied if he stays with the Broncos.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Petero is probably just testing the waters to see what he would get (and at the same time increase the money that he will get at the Broncos).

The Broncos dont seem to have a huge amount left do they?

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink View Post
    The Broncos dont seem to have a huge amount left do they?

The loss of Tate and the eventual loss of Berrigan and Thorn will surely free up some room. Don't know about the deals they have already done however there would be a bit more room to move than usual.

The Most Beautiful City In The World...Melbourne!!!

The Broncos should be able to keep Petero 'cos Tate has gone, Berrigan is rumoured to be heading to England & isn't Thorn retiring at the end of the year as well? That should free up more than enough to keep Petero there I'd think. I guess it depends if the Broncos were to go after someone like Hannay to replace Tate though as well & what sort of cash he'd demand...

"Remember in this game we call 'Life' that no one said it's fair!" - W.Axl Rose

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post

I'd be over the moon to see Petro at the Titans.

:test: SHOW HIM THE MONEY!:test:

Junior Titan

broncos will keep him
    "Go the Titans"