Default Benji to stay with Tigers

By James Hooper

Wests Tigers whiz kid Benji Marshall has informed the club of his desire to remain at the premiers with a new $1 million deal expected to be signed before the end of this month.

But Marshall's upgraded three-year contract is set to complicate the Tigers' quest to retain Test halfback Scott Prince as the premiers feel the bite of salary cap pressure.

In a positive signal, Marshall's manager Martin Tauber last night confirmed the Kiwi Test representative's desire to remain with Wests.

But Tauber cautioned the premiers against undervaluing the former Keebra Park schoolboy sensation, who could command upwards of $350,000 on the open market.

The Daily Telegraph understands a new deal contracting Marshall to the Tigers until the end of 2009 is expected to be finalised in the next fortnight.

"There's no question the boy wants to stay, it's more a question of what the Tigers can do in regards to his contract," Tauber said.

"At this stage their offer is nowhere near what the boy is worth so there is still a fair bit of work to be done.

"We've had a couple of meetings with Steve Noyce the chief executive and I've got another one [today].

"Benji wants to stay and we want him to stay, the Tigers are a good club on the up and up and they are going to be good for his football development.

"They're a good bunch of people that he has a great relationship with but we won't be signing until we get the right terms."
    Wests chief executive Steve Noyce was non-committal when quizzed about the progress of Marshall's new contract, suggesting the deal was a work-in-progress.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Tigers are yet to reach their $3.3 million salary cap ceiling for 2005 and part of Marshall's new deal will utilise this.

"We had a meeting with his manager a couple of weeks ago and that's where we're up to," Noyce said.

"I'm sure you can appreciate these decisions take some time."

Since unearthing Marshall as a precocious schoolboy in season 2002 the Tigers have nurtured the Kiwi Test prodigy into one of the NRL's most exciting talents.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens deserves credit for playing a huge role in the development of Marshall, who burst into rugby league showcasing a damaging sidestep.

Marshall is currently sidelined after undergoing right shoulder surgery on an injury he carried throughout all of 2005.

The Tigers star is expected to be unavailable for Wests' season-opening match against St George Illawarra at Telstra Stadium.

* SOUTHS icon George Piggins intends to launch legal action against media identity Andrew Denton over the high-profile Rabbitohs supporter's outburst yesterday.

* NRL club Melbourne Storm will share AFL team Carlton's training and administration base at Optus Oval for the next two years.

The Storm have been forced to find a new base because their current administration offices will be torn down next year so a new stadium can be built adjacent to their current home ground Olympic Park.

Their current training ground, Gosch's Paddock, will also be unavailable.

Source: The Daily Telegraph - http://www.FOXSPORTS.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Good news to have the Tigers all but having Marshall secured.

But where does this leave Prince? They'd be mad not to sign the both of them at any cost.

I really like Marshall, but not just for his amazing rugby league ability more with his general attitude and loyalty to his country.

And it is always special to see a kid come out of New Zealand and refer to himself as a rugby league boy.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

As expected.

Where does this signing leave Scott Prince? We will know more July 1, 2006 though I think it gives the Titans an even stronger chance of signing him with more cap money used on a high profile player. Remember, Hodgson had his contract upgraded as well.

And it is always special to see a kid come out of New Zealand and refer to himself as a rugby league boy.
    So true, the young NZ talent running around in the NRL will ensure the Kiwis are a competitive force for the next decade.

DeeGan

Scott Prince is headed to the Titans for sure now.. they can't keep them both..

With what Prince is asking + This new deal, they won't be able to stay under the cap. Tigers fans, say byebye to Scotty Prince!

and Gold Coast fans... Say Hello to your new number 7... Scott Prince.. .. but I wonder if Preston will be happy playing number 6 for us.. didn't he come here to play 7...

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Scott Prince is headed to the Titans for sure now.. they can't keep them both..
    yep my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    and Gold Coast fans... Say Hello to your new number 7... Scott Prince.. .. but I wonder if Preston will be happy playing number 6 for us.. didn't he come here to play 7...
    Preston Came to the Titans because he wants to move back to the GC and he relizes wat a great team he will be leading

Yeah.. GO Preston.. he will make a great captain.. I thought I heard somewhere though he wanted to play Number 7.. but hey... we will always respect Preston.. he was the first one to sign...

As for Scott Prince.. he will come here.. I don't think the Broncos have the money to get him.. we will have to work... but he will be in GC.. and my banner can stay the way it is .. otherwise Preston will go in it...

Titan CEO

press release from the tigers

MARSHALL SIGNS TIL 2008

In an exciting move for Wests Tigers Benji Marshall has re signed
    with the Club until the end of 2008.

CEO Stephen Noyce today said, "Retention of key youth players is
    vital to the long term success of Wests Tigers. Benji is proof that
    early identification of talent coupled with good coaching and a
    strong Club structure are pivotal elements in any players decision
    to stay with a Club on a long term basis".

Benji's long-term future with the Club has been a talking point
    among supporters, sponsors and the media for several months now.
    Benji has been quite vocal about his intention to stay with the Club
    and the Coach who steered him and his team mates to an NRL
    Premiership victory.

"Wests Tigers have been really good to me and I'm really excited to
    extend my contract until 2008".

"I have had so many opportunities under the guidance of Tim Sheens
    and Royce Simmons and hope by extending my contract I will have the
    opportunity to learn even more".

Head Coach Tim Sheens believes securing Marshall until 2008 is a
    strong step forward for Wests Tigers.

"Benji brings a level of enthusiasm and skill to the team that makes
    those around him lift, I'm confident signing him til 2008 is a
    positive one for the Club", said Head Coach Tim Sheens.

Benji underwent shoulder surgery during the off season and hopes to
    be back in training later this year.

IF we get Scott Prince, he will be the Titans innaugral captain.

DeeGan

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Not Preston? I suppose Prince is currently a captain, so he'll get the nod.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Idoit
    Not Preston? I suppose Prince is currently a captain, so he'll get the nod.
    I would personally prefer a Prince to captain, he has demonstrated good leadership quailites are the tigers, but the titans dont have him yet..........