Default Broncos: Ennis Halfway There

Ennis Halfway There

He?s been right in front of Wayne Bennett all season, so is Michael Ennis really the cure for Brisbane?s halfback blues?

After yesterday?s 71-6 pounding of Newcastle, the answer ? at least in the short-term ? appears to be an Oasis-inspired ?definitely maybe?.

After cameos this season by Shane Perry, Karmichael Hunt, Joel Moon and even Darren Lockyer, it was Ennis? turn to have a ride on the scrumbase merry-go-round last night at Suncorp Stadium.

Recruited as a hooker, Ennis slipped straight into his adopted role, taking on the line, directing traffic and offering a suitable second option with the boot to do more than enough to earn another shot at the No.7 jersey for Friday night?s game against his former club the Dragons.

Ennis admitted that a second-string Knights side wasn?t exactly an accurate test of his prowess one off the ruck, but said he wanted the chance to make the position his for the rest of the season if his coach saw fit to give him the opportunity.

?I came here as a hooker and started here reasonably well at hooker. To get back to halfback, where I played a lot of footy at as a junior, it was quite refreshing to play a new role today,? Ennis said.

?I really, really enjoyed my footy today and it was good after the year I had last year.?

Brisbane?s halfback dilemma has intensified this season, with former great Allan Langer among those saying the club needed to raid the market for a quality playmaker.

The efforts of Ennis last night may persuade Bruno Cullen to keep the chequebook in his pocket for now, with Ennis saying he felt driven to alleviate the pressure on skipper Darren Lockyer after watching Johnathan Thurston do the same at Origin level.

?I thought with myself at halfback I needed to give Locky another option. In Origin, Thurston seems to take a fair bit of responsibility too these days.

?They?re the options I need to work on and build every week and take the pressure off him when I can.?

Lockyer and Ennis only had one session together but gelled with ease to guide the record romp, with Ennis ironically giving the credit for his halfback skills to Newcastle legend Andrew Johns, with whom he worked during his two seasons in 2003-04 at the club before joining the Dragons.

?When I had a utility role at Newcastle I got to spend a fair bit of time with both Joey and Danny (Buderus),? he said.

?I always try to practise the things that Joey did teach me, but I suppose when you get into the game and you?re playing hooker you don?t get to practise one off the ruck.

?But Wayne?s put me there and shown a bit of faith and it?s something I really enjoyed today and something I want to keep doing.?

Brisbane Times

Please Wayne whoever you choose at halfback just stick with him....consistency is a good thing

Yesterday Ennis did help ease the bruden on Lockey but did not play a typical first receiver role. If this move helps bring more peformances like yesterday than I can't complain.

Ennis was great yesterday, whatever position he plays he should be in the starting team. He has a great impact on the game and in my opinion is vital for the Broncos to succeed.

I remember asking for Ennis at halfback early last year, i think it is a must for them, he is easily the best option at half IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.