View Poll Results: Should the "Mickey Mouse"/California Origin count?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 50.00%
  • No

12 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Origin: Should the "Mickey Mouse"/California Origin game count?

Blues’ claim is Mickey Mouse

By Barry Dick

Monday, May 21, 2007 at 11:49am

IT was State of Origin rugby league’s most embarrassing moment but the Blues are so desperate for interstate supremacy yhey’re trying to claim it as the real thing.

I’m talking about the one-off attempt 20 years ago to export the code’s No.1 showcase event to the United States with an exhibition game played at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach, California on August 6, 1987, a ``game’’ NSW insists should be counted in official Origin records.

As an experiment the ``Mickey Mouse game’’ (as it has become known thanks to the great picture of Cliffy Lyons and Peter Sterling with Mickey at Disneyland) was a failure _ 12,000 people turned up after 20,000 free tickets were sprinkled around the town _ and as a game it was even worse with one side (NSW) serious and the other having some fun.

It is a disgrace to even contemplate including Long Beach in the Origin records and the Queensland Rugby League is to be congratulated for removing it from the players’ appearances. But there it is, year after year, in the official Origin program and the year books.

What a joke. A couple of years ago, I asked some of the players who took part in the exhibition game what they thought of it being included in the official results, here’s what they said:

Former NSW star Michael O’Connor (laughing): ``It was only a promotional game, mate. I remember we weren’t allowed to drink on the way over but the Queenslanders certainly made up for it.’’

Steve Roach: ``It’s ridiculous to count it.’’

And former Queensland star Tony Currie: ``Tell ‘em they are California dreaming. It was an exhibition game and that’s that.’’

So when you see the ``official’’ game tally being listed as Played 78, Queensland 38, NSW 38 and draws 2; make your own deductions it should be Played 77, Qld 38, NSW 37, Draws 2.

www.thecouriermail.com.au
    Last edited by Queenslander; 21-05-07 at 12:48 PM.

Junior Titan

i don't know what that is so i voted for no
    "Go the Titans"

I'll go with yes.

Sounds more like a squabble over nothing.

Yes. If we had of won it we'd friggin claim it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Wat cs said.

Honeslty though who cares, the blues will win this series and lead regardless

Apparently the boys were having a drinking contest on the way to the game in the bus. I think Sam Backo won.

QLD Cup Titan

Good on Sam!

Of course it should be counted. The Blues won!!!

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

Thumbs down

Under no circumstances should this game be counted! It should be stricken from the official records!

If we count the game, wouldn't the series be a DRAW, 2 games all. Flawed!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup Titan

I think it should be counted!

BECAUSE the ****ies are that damn keen on it being counted! You know what else I want to count the number of immigrants to Queensland in the last 20 years that are People that still call themselves Southerns!

It was an exhibition game to try and advertise Rugby League to the USA. Even if the result went QLD's way, I would still want it to not be included.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Under no circumstances should this game be counted! It should be stricken from the official records!

If we count the game, wouldn't the series be a DRAW, 2 games all. Flawed!

Exactly,

Channel Nine were displaying the records acording to NSW last night too........If they are going to include it they should at least have a note stating *This includes the Exhibition match played in California

Junior Titan

Let them have it at least now its

Played 79, Queensland 39, NSW 38 and draws 2;

After last night's display, the southerners can do what they like.

Queensland will win this campaign 3/0 and put it beyond doubt who are the champions.

Why do they also insist on displaying the series as drawn. The titleholder in a drawn series goes to the team that won it last time. In both instances Qld. I would count the Californian game. Any time these two teams compete should be counted. If the Qlders decided to get on the sauce then that's there own fault. I take into account OD's comments about the series result though. If that series was decided without including the game then that paints it in a different light. Had a bit each way there didn't I.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!