Default Round 10: Bulldogs vs Cronulla Sharks

Bulldogs vs Cronulla Sharks
    Sunday 20th May, 3pm; Telstra Stadium

Referee: Ben Cummins

Team Notes:

Bulldogs
    Steve Folkes has made several changes and named hooker Corey Hughes as captain of the side for this Sunday's clash against the Sharks at Telstra Stadium.

Hughes will become the 83rd player to captain the Bulldogs, joining his brother Glen, father Garry and uncles Mark and Graeme. He will take over the captaincy roll from regular skipper Andrew Ryan who is currently unavailable through Origin selection.

Steve Folkes has also made four changes to the line-up who went down 38-14 against the Melbourne Storm last night.

- Andrew Emelio replaces Trent Cutler on the wing.
    - Daniel Holdsworth moves from five eight to the second row replacing Andrew Ryan who is on Origin duty.
    - Ben Roberts fills the five eight position.
    - Brad Morrin comes onto a five man bench.
    Sharks
    While a slight injury concerns hang over Brett Kearney (quad), the remainder of the Sharks side which was able to beat the Broncos convincingly last Friday night is intact, with Misi Taulapapa retaining his place in the side.

Taulapapa, coming in for the injured David Simmons, has been outstanding for the Sharks in the previous two matches, scoring two tries against the Warriors and capably deputising at fullback last week when Kearney was forced from the field.
    Teams:

Bulldogs
    1. Luke Patten
    2 Hazem El Masri
    3. Daryl Millard
    4. Willie Tonga
    5. Andrew Emelio
    6. Ben Roberts
    7. Brent Sherwin
    8. Jarrad Hickey
    9. Corey Hughes (c)
    10. Chris Armit
    11. Sonny Bill Williams
    12. Daniel Holdsworth
    13. Reni Maitua
    Interchange:
    14. Adam Perry
    15. Lee Te Maari
    16. Kane Cleal
    17. Jon Green
    19 Brad Morrin

Sharks

1 Brett Kearney
    2 Misi Taulapapa
    3 Ben Pomeroy
    4 Fraser Anderson
    5 Luke Covell
    6 Adam Dykes
    7 Brett Kimmorley (c)
    8 Ben Ross
    9 Kevin Kingston
    10 Craig Stapleton
    11 Paul Gallen
    12 Lance Thompson
    13 Greg Bird
    Interchange:
    14 Luke Douglas
    15 Henry Perenara
    16 Reece Williams
    17 Isaac De Gois
    19 Dayne Weston

With the Dogs missing some key personnel on Origin duties, and the Sharks being untouched by Origin, I think we can pull off a win here. Gallen, Birdy and even Thommo would have the right to be a bit fired up with their selection snubs so hopefully an even more intense than usual performance from those blokes.

Glad to see Taulapapa still there, he's been a champ at the back for us the last couple weeks. Hopefully Kearney is all good to go, I can see him and Taulapapa forming a pretty good combo at the back, and if Covell plays like he did last week we'll get away with such a seemingly bad backline.

Why the hell would Holdsworth be playing in the 2nd row? What is he, 85-90kgs? Seems strange to me but as long as it turns to crap like I'm suspecting (unless he wears 12 and plays like he's got a 6 on) who am I to tell the opposition how to play..
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

why didn't the Bulldogs bring in that young greek forward guy...

Nick Kouri-something.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star View Post
    why didn't the Bulldogs bring in that young greek forward guy...

Nick Kouri-something.
    Nick Kouparitsas - dunno, thats a good question FS.. Guess Folkes has a trick up his sleeve with Holdsworth packing in the scrum

I think im going to tip sharks for this one.

there back-3 have been great all year, and they'll shine going up against this depleted doggies forward pack.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Nick Kouparitsas - dunno, thats a good question FS.. Guess Folkes has a trick up his sleeve with Holdsworth packing in the scrum
    LOL CS, he won't be doing that in the 2nd Row here's hoping... if you looked at the line up you'd realise what Folkesy is doing here..

12. Daniel Holdsworth
    13. Reni Maitua

Maitua will play 2nd row against your Sharkies, with DJ playing Lock... I think Folkesy wants to give him a chance to run the ball more and to have 3 play makers in Sherwin, Roberts and DJ to come up with some creative play, who knows, it just might work...

I like the look of this side, Emelio is back for Cutler, which is unlucky for Cuts but we need a stronger defense... which is good with Emelio but I'd rather have Emelio and Millard switch as Millard has supreme speed and could be a real handful out wide...

Jon Green needs to go back to PL, he isn't ready for FG yet and I hope Morrin gets the pick as he has experience and that is something the side needs now.

Tonga is getting back to his best so that is promising and the rest of the side is solid... should be a good game, a tough game to win but a good game.

Watch for Alley-Tovio or Fielder to come into the side if El Masri gets given the NSW role from Lyon getting suspended... I reckon Fielder as that means we have 3 kicking options, Sherwin, Te Maari and Fielder.

Those blue, black and white mongrels will give me a heart attack one of these days. Almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I would have put my head through a wall if the right hand defense fell for that grub Corey Hughes out of dummy half and passing to Roberts for a THIRD time.

Sharks really have to get something going in attack though. The amount of time we were down there and doing nothing wasn't far short of pathetic. Even a repeat set would have been nice.

Gotta love Paul Gallen's last try. I watch closely and I'm certain he stood up yelling "f-ing deny that one!"

WTF is up with El Masri's boot?

Titan Club Captain

We were ALMOST there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sherwin had a blinder!
    [

Matty Johns might have been onto something a few weeks ago.......

on something thats for sure