View Poll Results: Who will win and by how much?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Queensland (By 1-12 Points)

12 34.29%
  • Queensland (By 13+ Points)

14 40.00%
  • New South Wales (By 1-12 Points)

7 20.00%
  • New South Wales (By 13+ Points)

2 5.71%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    Honestly, I don't even think the coaches would need to do much with Matty. All you would have to do is send him out there, and let him do what he does week in week out with JT. Nsw wouldn't stand a chance at the back end of the halves!

That's my point...but you ask a coach how they would play him from the bench and they'll start complicating things by thinking about what player will replace him.
    They won't want to pull Hunt, Smith or Thurston from the field and then get confused as who they would take off.

Not enough coaches create opportunities to make decisions after kick off.
    Last edited by Chaos; 15-05-07 at 11:51 PM.

Referee & Co. has been added to the first post:

Referee: Paul Simpkins
    Sideline Officials: Steve Carrall and Russell Turner
    Video Referee's: Bill Harrigan & Tim Mander
    Standby Referee: Shayne Hayne

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    That's my point...but you ask a coach how they would play him from the bench and they'll start complicating things by thinking about what player will replace him.
    They won't want to pull Hunt, Smith or Thurston from the field and then get confused as who they would take off.

Not enough coaches create opportunities to make decisions after kick off.
    Crap - they've obviously got Berrigan there to come on at some stage in some position. And maybe the only bloke who does know how to coach Bowen is in charge of the other team. Not that I think thats the case. I highly doubt Bowen got selected and Meninga and co said "bugger that, I dunno what to do with him."

At rep level you don't have to coach players in how to play, they wouldn't be there if they needed that much hand holding ffs. You get the blokes to gel and throw up a game plan and maybe some set moves. Any first grade coaches (most if not all of who are former players) and their coaching staff have the ability to gauge how a game is going, when it looks like we are or could gain the upper hand, throw in a Bowen off the bench to replace whoever Berrigan was gonna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

The problem lies with how Hagen coached Queensland and how he used Bowen.

In 2005 he was determined to use Bowen at Hooker, and defend him on the wing, all that did was when the game was in the arm wrestle, he took off Smith who was one of our best defenders, Put on Bowen to defend on the wing, and made our allready tired forwards compensate for being 1 main defender down.

As our forwards slowly got ground into the dirt, Johns reaked havoc on us.

In todays game you just cannot be a main defender down, so IMO either Bowen plays at fullback, or he doesnt make the squad.

He could still play as a utility, but when he came on, you would have to slide Hunt into Lock, and Bowen to the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Is there anyway that we can send any or all of these comments to the QRL? Surely someone there has to sit up and take notice of the fans opinions. Then again if they are anything like channel 9 they wont give a stuff about Queenslanders opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Is there anyway that we can send any or all of these comments to the QRL? Surely someone there has to sit up and take notice of the fans opinions. Then again if they are anything like channel 9 they wont give a stuff about Queenslanders opinions.

QRL Head Office

Level 1, Gabba Towers
    411 Vulture Street
    WOOLLOONGABBA Q 4102
    PO Box 434
    STONES CORNER Q 4120

Email: rugbyleague@qrl.com.au

Default Johnson cleared for Origin

Source www.foxsports.com.au

Johnson cleared for Origin

May 16, 2007

QUEENSLAND lock Dallas Johnson has been cleared to play next week's State of Origin match against New South Wales at Suncorp Stadium after successfully having a careless high tackle charge downgraded at the Judiciary.

Johnson escaped suspension after his representatives ? Melbourne assistant coach Dean Lance and Queensland coach Mal Meninga ? convinced the panel of Mal Cochrane, Royce Ayliffe and Scott Tronc to downgrade his grade two charge to a grade one.

Johnson pleaded guilty to the high shot on Bulldog Reni Maitua on Monday night, but got the charge downgraded because he was not looking at the target when contact was made with Maitua's head and it wasn't an intentional attempt to injure the player.

Lance argued that Johnson's tackle was less severe than previous grade two careless high tackle charges handed out to Bulldog Willie Mason and Wests Tiger Jamaal Lolesi last season because in this instance the player tackled still had the ball.

Ironically, Lolesi's tackle was on Johnson.

Prosecutor Peter Kite said Johnson cannot get a reprieve because his contact was directly with the head and that his upcoming representative honour is no reason for leniency.

However, the panel decided to downgrade the charge and free Johnson to play in next week's Origin clash.

Johnson did not speak to the panel or the media tonight, but Meninga said it was a huge relief and a bonus for the Maroons.

"Very pleased. I think Dallas deserved that. We had a fair hearing obviously and we can get on with preparations now with Dallas Johnson in the side so we are extremely pleased," said Meninga.

"He is a very integral part of our footy side and all the boys are waiting with baited breath up in Toowoomba at the moment so hopefully they can get the message shortly and there'll be a fair few cheers up in Toowoomba that's for sure."

AAP
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Fantastic news!!!

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee View Post
    Fantastic news!!!
    certainly is
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Lyon also got off on a technicality so he'll be playing for NSW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

As a Blues fan i'm extremely happy to see Bowen & Slater playing for their clubs this weekend & not Origin but i almost choked when i read that someone thought Carlaw should be in the side just what Qld really need another out of form Bronco lucky the Qld selectors didn't think the same.
    Nsw team should have had Stewart ,Lafranchi & Lewis in the squad.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Lyon also got off on a technicality so he'll be playing for NSW.
    Yes he did, which was a rather strange one, but heh, I'll take it, no one really lost out tonight and football won, a strange rarity in the game these days...

Lyon is let off the hook

By Josh Massoud
    May 16, 2007

JAMIE Lyon was last night cleared to play for New South Wales - but will have to wait until this morning to ring Eric Grothe Jr and thank him for his help.

In support of Lyon's quest to beat a dangerous throw charge and play in next Wednesday's series opener, Grothe was to be cross-examined over the phone at last night's hearing.

But in an unexpected twist on a crucial hearing for the Blues, the errant Parramatta star had his phone switched off when Lyon's counsel attempted to summon him to give evidence.

Luckily for NSW, Lyon will join Queensland lock Dallas Johnson - also cleared to play last night - after escaping on a technicality despite the fact Grothe could not be raised.

To the astonishment of the panel, a female with a slight English accent answered Grothe's mobile as Lyon dialled for corroborating evidence on the judiciary's speaker phone.

"The Vodafone you have called is switched off," the voice said.
    "Please try again later."

It was not the first time in Grothe's career that he had gone missing in action - the winger also turned up late and worse for wear to last season's City team camp.

But there was hangover for Lyon last night.

Thanks to some swift legal argument from his counsel Geoff Bellew SC, Lyon was freed to play after a glitch was exposed in the charge.
    After being convinced Lyon did not lift Grothe - as per the particulars of the charge - the three-man panel had no option but to dismiss the case and declare the Manly centre free to play.

"It's big and I can't wait to get out there," Lyon said.
    "I was confident without being over confident - still at the bottom of your gut you are a bit worried."

Had he known Grothe's mobile phone would get cold feet, Lyon might well have been more nervous.

Grothe did submit a statement to the panel suggesting he was not lifted by Lyon.

But NRL counsel Peter Kite quickly pointed out Grothe's inability to give supporting oral evidence at the hearing reduced the significance of his written statement.

Ironically, had Lyon been unsuccessful Grothe was rated an even-money chance to be drafted into the backline.

"Unfortunately we couldn't get hold of him, but he made a statement which was very good of him and I thank him for it," Lyon said.

Grothe remained unavailable for comment late last night.

Kite had earlier argued the charge should be upheld because Lyon had used his body as a "fulcrum" to place Grothe into a dangerous position. But Bellew pointed out that Lyon's charge specified a dangerous throw generated from a conventional "lift" rather than leverage.

Judiciary chairman Greg Wood effectively agreed with Bellew, directing the panel: "Unless there's evidence that one of the players on Mr Lyon's team lifted Mr Grothe in the normal sense of the word, then the case is not made out."

As you can see, Lyon got off because Grothe didn't answer the phone so they had no evidence against him besides video footage that was called by the ref inconclusive... lucky Jamie should thank Eric tomorrow... Eric just got him an origin spot..

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    Crap - they've obviously got Berrigan there to come on at some stage in some position. And maybe the only bloke who does know how to coach Bowen is in charge of the other team. Not that I think thats the case. I highly doubt Bowen got selected and Meninga and co said "bugger that, I dunno what to do with him."

At rep level you don't have to coach players in how to play, they wouldn't be there if they needed that much hand holding ffs. You get the blokes to gel and throw up a game plan and maybe some set moves. Any first grade coaches (most if not all of who are former players) and their coaching staff have the ability to gauge how a game is going, when it looks like we are or could gain the upper hand, throw in a Bowen off the bench to replace whoever Berrigan was gonna.
    Capital Shark,
    Nobody said that Bowen was selected and Meninga interfered. The selectors obviuosly couldn't get thier heads around it also.

Don't try and tell me the selectors didn't consider Bowen (even though they believe he was a better player then most of the other players picked)
    They just didn't know how to use him off the bench.

Coaster,
    You also came up with a single plan to play Bowen.
    I don't think we would need to...I could think of ten ways to put him on the field but we just don't know how the game will pan out.
    The utility player or back picked on the bench is there for any injuries. How can we predict who will get hurt?

Bailey happy flyers snubbed
    http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...868_sport.html

Bailey happy flyers snubbed

17May07

NEW South Wales prop Luke Bailey believes Queensland selectors have made a big mistake snubbing electrifying fullbacks Matt Bowen and Billy Slater for next week's opening State of Origin clash.

Incumbent Test fullback Karmichael Hunt has been handed the custodian role for Origin I in Brisbane on Wednesday, causing plenty of debate among rugby league fans who will be denied the opportunity to see excitement machines Bowen and Slater showcase their sublime skills in the game's toughest arena.

Bailey, disappointed to be playing off the bench rather than starting for the Blues, can't understand why the talented duo were snubbed in a Maroons backline brimming with talent.

"They've got a dangerous backline but all of them aren't 100 per cent fit so that's a good advantage for us," Gold Coast co-captain Bailey said.

"Not having Matt Bowen and Billy Slater in the side is another bonus for us.

"You knew it was coming but for their sakes you hoped they made it.

"They're two of the most gifted players in the game but unfortunately (the Queensland selectors) have gone with the skilful and defensive centres and wingers, the bigger fellas."

The Blues have traditionally picked robust backs who won't be a liability in defence and this year is no different, with the likes of Matt King, Jamie Lyon, Braith Anasta and debutant Jarryd Hayne getting the nod.

But Bailey is surprised selectors from both camps have been reluctant to pick smaller players, who have proven they aren't turnstiles in defence in the NRL, for Origin I.

"I think it's amazing because the game is that intense and hard for the first 40 or 50 minutes, I'd prefer to have little blokes on my side trying to create yards around the ruck when the forwards are tired," Bailey commented.

Maroons chairman of selectors Des Morris said plenty of time was spent debating the possible inclusions of Bowen and Slater in the selection room before the Maroons team was announced.

"We would love to be able to fit Billy and Matty in somewhere but we just can't do it within the team structure we have planned," Morris said.

White says he's public enemy No.1

By Josh Massoud
    May 17, 2007

STRAIGHT-shooting New South Wales rookie Brett White has declared himself "Queensland public enemy No.1" after provoking the ire of fearsome Petero Civoniceva.

Still simmering after White questioned Brisbane's forwards earlier this month, Civoniceva has challenged the Origin tyro "to back it up" on Wednesday night.

But despite entering his first NSW camp yesterday, the 25-year-old last night steeled himself for the fire that awaits in the Suncorp cauldron.

"I'm fully aware that I'll be going up to Queensland as public enemy No.1," White said. "It's a big thing that my first game in Origin is in the front row and I'll have the biggest target on my forehead."

Expecting Civoniceva to lead the Maroons forwards on a seek-and-destroy mission for his scalp, White is primed for the challenge.

"I certainly hope to gain some respect from him," the Storm enforcer said.

"Everyone speaks highly of him."

The feud between the 110kg behemoths was ignited when White claimed the Brisbane pack had lost its notorious sting as Melbourne savoured grand final revenge.

"In the past, every time you took the ball up there was a wall of blokes trying to bash you," White said after Melbourne beat Brisbane 28-18 in round seven.

"It wasn't there ... there were a few smaller players out there and you could run at different blokes without worry."

Asked if he now regretted the infamous comments ahead of an earlier-than-expected rematch with Civoniceva, White said: "I certainly didn't mean it the way it came out.

"I didn't mean any disrespect. It wasn't aimed at him.

"There was a big hole with Shane Webcke (retired) and they were missing Tonie Carroll.

"Any team missing those two blokes is going to have a big hole there. But what's said is said.

"I guess it's good for the game in a way but it doesn't help me.

"It's going to make my task harder on Wednesday night."

When first told of White's barb, Civoniceva responded: "I don't really rate him."

And although the Maroons veteran has since softened on his opinion of White, Civoniceva has made no secret of his desire to square up.

"If he's in my sights, I'm not going to miss," he said this week.

White's NSW front-row partner Luke Bailey, however, is assured the debutant can handle a torrid outing first up.

Bailey, who mentored White when the pair were with St George Illawarra, last night said his former teammate was "made for this game".

"He's a hard-head and he'll probably play one of his best games in the first game because he loves the tough stuff," the Gold Coast prop said.

"I remember the days holding the pads and the young blokes run into you. He did it full bore.

"I knew he was a hard man. I'm sure he'll love it and if someone says something he'll return serve.

"Petero said they've got the target on him. If you are at home and reading the paper you sort of lick your lips. These clashes are going to inspire the game."

The Daily Telegraph