View Poll Results: Who will win and by how much?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Queensland (By 1-12 Points)

12 34.29%
  • Queensland (By 13+ Points)

14 40.00%
  • New South Wales (By 1-12 Points)

7 20.00%
  • New South Wales (By 13+ Points)

2 5.71%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    What a disgrace that Bowen didn't get in! And Slater should have got in as well.

We will still wipe the floor with the Blues but god...I am very angry.
    yeah, some disappointing selections, but we'll still win.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Queensland Team
    1. Karmichael HUNT (Brisbane Broncos) - Matty Bowen should have got it. He has been the form player of the season so far.
    2. Brent TATE (Brisbane Broncos) - Like CS said, he has had 1 good game, and that was the test match. It is a shame that the Test selectors have decided who makes the Origin team, because Tate deserves to be in reserve grade the way he has played this season.
    3. Steven BELL (Manly Sea Eagles)
    4. Justin HODGES (Brisbane Broncos)
    5. Greg INGLIS (Melbourne Storm)
    6. Darren LOCKYER (c) (Brisbane Broncos)
    7. Johnathan THURSTON (North QLD Cowboys)
    8. Steve PRICE (New Zealand Warriors)
    9. Cameron SMITH (Melbourne Storm)
    10. Petero CIVONICEVA (Brisbane Broncos)
    11. Tonie CARROLL (Brisbane Broncos) - He hasn't done anything spectacular at all really
    12. Carl WEBB (North QLD Cowboys)
    13. Dallas JOHNSON (Melbourne Storm)

14. Shaun BERRIGAN (Brisbane Broncos) - We don't need a second hooker, and if KHunt is at fullback (which is stupid), then Matty Bowen should have the utility role.
    15. Jacob LILLYMAN (North QLD Cowboys) - Only made the side because he somehow made the side last year.
    16. Nate MYLES (Sydney Roosters) - WHAT THE F**K! Seriously, the only reason I can even fathom him being in the side is because he played last year!
    17. Neville COSTIGAN (Canberra Raiders)

NSW Team
    1 Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters)
    2 Matt King (Melbourne Storm)
    3 Jamie Lyon (Manly Sea Eagles)
    4 Matt Cooper (St George Illawarra Dragons)
    5 Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)
    6 Braith Anasta (Sydney Roosters)
    7 Jarrod Mullen (Newcastle Knights) - Has done nothing to deserve this IMO. The only reason he was even considered in the first place was because the media has made him out to be a great player. He is an average halfback at best. I don't know why he is even rated as a good halfback, let alone earning SOO selection.
    8 Brent Kite (Manly Sea Eagles)
    9 Danny Buderus (c) (Newcastle Knights)
    10 Brett White (Melbourne Storm)
    11 Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
    12 Willie Mason (Bulldogs)
    13 Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs)

14 Luke Bailey (Gold Coast Titans)
    15 Steve Simpson (Newcastle Knights) - Only got the spot because he played in the test match. Once again it is a shame that the Australian selectors also decide on half of the SOO teams.
    16 Anthony Tupou (Sydney Roosters) - As above. He is an average player playing in a poor team, who has only earned selection because of some stupid national selectors.
    17 Kurt Gidley (Newcastle Knights)

Alot of bad selections, although it is good to see some good selections here and there as well. I am loving the fact that Brett White has made the NSW run-on side after his stellar start to the season and great City-Country performance, and Costigan definately deserved to be in the QLD side. I can't believe that Matty Bowen and Billy Slater aren't in the QLD line-up though. I honestly hope NSW give us a hiding in Game 1 so that the QLD selectors can give the team a complete overhaul and pick players that deserve to be there.

Titan One Clubman

On another note, how did Manly Fullback Brett Stewert Miss out?

Myles and Lillyman? Who? Ya gotta be bloody joking. Someone needs a slap around the head. LOL. They put these nevilles in and leave Matty Bowen out. I shake my had in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty View Post
    On another note, how did Manly Fullback Brett Stewert Miss out?
    I also want to know that, but of course, they went with the 'experience and notability' of Minichiello. He was never in doubt, just like KHunt was never in doubt, which is absolutely disgraceful. You should always have to earn your spot in a rep side, not earn your spot and get to keep it for a few seasons after no matter how badly you play.

The Most Beautiful City In The World...Melbourne!!!

I have to agree with everyone on the Nate Myles selection, I mean have the selectors forgotten about Dane Carlaw who has played more n' way better footy then Myles this year. And wtf is with the Berrigan selection? C'mon who is he sh*%ging to get a guernsey over Matt Bowen??? The Tonie Carroll selection I'm actually ok with surprisingly as I'm not a huge fan but I think he will go well in Origin 1, add a bit of mongrel to the forwards. Speaking of which, all the best goes out to Neville Costigan, about time we saw players picked on form n' ability rather than reputation (see the above Myles n' Berrigan)...

As for NSW, I don't really care to be quite honest as i think they always pick the wrong side. But Stewart should've been the Fullback over Mini, as could have Gidley n' even Luke Burt who has played great at the back for the Eels this year. I'd have picked Noddy over Mullo (but hey, what would I know, I obv watch too many games compared to these biased selectors) just cos of experience n' form. The Andrew Ryan n' Anthony Tupou selections I don't fully get 'cos of form but they wanted guys who have done the job before (the job of losing as it was last year, ha ha ha) so Blues supporters maybe can justify those 2 selections. Feel bad though for Hoffman, Bird n' Gallen. Don't like only 1 back on the bench either, better hope all the backs don't get hurt Mr Murray & Co...

"Remember in this game we call 'Life' that no one said it's fair!" - W.Axl Rose

Titan One Clubman

Rep Footy= Reputation. The way the Telegraph blew their load over Mullan was unbelievable.

As for the Qld selections, well, I'd have liked to see Bowen in because 1. he's one hell of an exciting footballer to watch (even if i'd be watching from the wrong side!) and i'd like both teams to be as strong as possible to make it the best game possible. The commentators were going on about how hard KHunt was running the ball back in the game on the weekend, yeah, straight back into the defenders, getting absolutely smashed every time.
    Come on.

Stewart I think should most definitely have been fullback.
    Minichiello has hardly played this year, both Stewart and Gidley have been in amazing form in the 1.
    Mullen got it because none of the other halves have been doing that well.
    Kimmorley is average, Gower is injured and not playing anywhere near his best, Orford probably hasn't had enough games back from injury, and in anycase, the selectors don't seem to know the guy exists.
    Laffranchi should have been in the side over Tupou.
    I'd even go with Luke Lewis in centre too, his defence has been superb all year, and I think his attack would be shining a lot more if the team around him was firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Mullen got it because none of the other halves have been doing that well.
    Kimmorley is average, Gower is injured and not playing anywhere near his best, Orford probably hasn't had enough games back from injury, and in anycase, the selectors don't seem to know the guy exists.
    I don't know why people haven't seriously considered Monaghan in the number 7 jersey. He orchastrated Manly's start to the season in the number 7, and he is also versatile, being able to play at hooker or 5/8.

All this comes down to is Mel repaying loyalty for last year. Who gives a stuff. Pick the best players in the last twelve months+. This is a team that has been picked on loyalty and we Queenslanders and players are going to pay dearly. Sorry Mel.

Yeeesh....Qld could have had potentially the most dangerous backline since the 80s. Tate? Hunt?

Slater should have been in the side, for tate. Bowen, by far the best Qld FB this season, should be in for hunt. Bell should have been picked on the wing, and Inglis should be given the centre spot.

Not a bad forward pack, but the bench is ordinary. 1 hooker, 3 backrowers? Too small imo. Ross over myles, carlaw over lillyman. If the selectors insist on Hunt at FB, Bowen at least should be in the side ahead of Berrigan.

In saying that, Mal has obviously gone with the players who did the job last year. He has gone with the 'safe' players, rather than form players, and hope this changes for game 2. Unfortunately, this probly means Qld has to lose game 1, in order for the best side to be picked

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    I don't know why people haven't seriously considered Monaghan in the number 7 jersey. He orchastrated Manly's start to the season in the number 7, and he is also versatile, being able to play at hooker or 5/8.
    I agree. I thought it was glaringly bloody obvious. But then people started saying they don't like to pick blokes out of position, suggesting he is a hooker. Hasler has it wrong, he is the one picking Monoghan out of position. The bloke is a halfback and a damn good one.

Jarrod Mullen is a 5/8 anyway just learning to be a half back. Can't yet drive his own team around the park now is expected to control Origin. For his sake I hope his forwards aim up. We've heard of trial by media, this is selection by media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

How can a guy like Mat Bowen, who steps two defenders with the one step, is overlooked for the QLD team?

I put it down to the lack of 'coaching ability' to coach an unpridictable player.
    Dean Widders touched on this a few weeks back, straight after the Merrit comments and I agree with him.
    The rep coaches don't know how to use these types of players and therefore don't want them in their side.
    I bet Mal and the selectors couldn't come up with a plan with Bowen on the bench because they didn't know what position to bring him on as.
    Lets not predit how the game will unfold before kick off...have a basic structure, watch and adjust during the game.
    Bring Bowen on when you see a weekness in the Blues at the back of a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    How can a guy like Mat Bowen, who steps two defenders with the one step, is overlooked for the QLD team?

I put it down to the lack of 'coaching ability' to coach an unpridictable player.
    Dean Widders touched on this a few weeks back, straight after the Merrit comments and I agree with him.
    The rep coaches don't know how to use these types of players and therefore don't want them in their side.
    I bet Mal and the selectors couldn't come up with a plan with Bowen on the bench because they didn't know what position to bring him on as.
    Lets not predit how the game will unfold before kick off...have a basic structure, watch and adjust during the game.
    Bring Bowen on when you see a weekness in the Blues at the back of a half.
    Honestly, I don't even think the coaches would need to do much with Matty. All you would have to do is send him out there, and let him do what he does week in week out with JT. Nsw wouldn't stand a chance at the back end of the halves!

QLD have made this a much tighter battle by sticking with the tried and tested.

Bowen, Slater and to a lesser extent Cronk are very unlucky not to be there, and I think QLD will suffer not having them there, even on the bench.

As for NSW, well that side has questions too, not sure how Tupou got in there and not sure how Bird or Gallen missed out, but other than that, it's a solid side with Mullen having a chance to shine with a less playmaking 5/8th in Anasta beside him.

I am liking the look of NSW for this one, big underdogs but in all honesty, nothing to lose, everything to gain...