Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AAMI City Origin vs Country Origin

NSW City vs NSW Country

Thursday, 3rd of May 2007, 7.45pm at BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour

Referee: Shayne Hayne

Sideline Officials: Matt Cecchin & Paul Holland

Video Referee: Phil Cooley

Team Notes:

NSW City
    Reni Maitua was selected, but was later ruled out with a hip flexor injury. His withdrawal makes room for Cronulla Sharks back rower Reece Williams to join the squad after tonight?s game. Williams will be the 7th Sharks player to be included in the match.

Paul Gallen has aggravated his ankle and will not play for City, Mark Minichiello, who was 18th man, has taken his spot.

Matt Geyer has been named 18th Man for this match.

Last minute change- Mark Minichiello moves to the bench, Craig Wing is the starting lock.
    NSW Country
    Phil Graham was called into the side to replace an injured Timana Tahu

Luke Douglas sustained a wrist injury in Monday Night's NRL match and ruled out of the City v Country game, with Peter Cusack to replace him.

Alan Tongue named 18th Man for this match
    Teams:

NSW City
    1. Anthony Minichiello (Roosters)
    2. Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
    3. Luke Lewis (Panthers)
    4. Dean Collis (Wests Tigers)
    5. Hazem El Masri (Bulldogs)
    6. Braith Anasta (Roosters)
    7. Craig Gower (Panthers) (c)
    8. Jason King (Sea Eagles)
    9. Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
    10. Lance Thompson (Sharks)
    11. Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles)
    12. Ryan Hoffman (Storm)
    13. Craig Wing (Roosters)
    Interchange:
    14. Mark Minichiello (Titans)
    15. Reece Williams (Sharks)
    16. Bryce Gibbs (Wests Tigers)
    17. Ben Pomeroy (Sharks)

18. Matt Geyer (Storm)

NSW Country
    1. Brett Stewart (Sea Eagles)
    2. Josh Morris (Dragons)
    3. Anthony Quinn (Storm)
    4. Phil Graham (Raiders)
    5. Amos Roberts (Roosters)
    6. Kurt Gidley (Knights)
    7. Brett Kimmorley (Sharks)
    8. Brett White (Storm)
    9. Danny Buderus (Knights) (c)
    10. Craig Fitzgibbon (Roosters)
    11. Greg Bird (Sharks)
    12. Anthony Laffranchi (Titans)
    13. Ben Creagh (Dragons)
    Interchange:
    14. Preston Campbell (Titans)
    15. Peter Cusack (Souths)
    16. Ben Cross (Storm)
    17. Clint Newton (Knights)

18. Alan Tongue (Raiders)

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information***

A game full of second rowers...sounds boring but they are playing for positions and NSW can't pick all of them.

City's Wing keen to remind NSW selectors

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 - 5:42 PM

City utility Craig Wing admits he needs a big performance against Country in Coffs Harbour amid fears he's become the forgotten man in the eyes of NSW Origin selectors.

City team-mate Robbie Farah and Country pair Preston Campbell and Kurt Gidley pose the biggest threats to Wing claiming the Blues utility role for the Origin series-opener against Queensland in Brisbane on May 23.

Wing has implored the NSW selectors to give him a chance to impress in Origin I, saying he's done the job previously in 10 games for the Blues and in 16 Tests for Australia since 2002.

"I've done it for years now and I've got no hesitation in saying I'd be able to handle it again," Wing said on the eve of the match at BCU International Stadium.

"I just have to make people aware that I'm still capable."

Wing played two Origins last year off the bench but was one of several players axed for the decider, won by the Maroons in the dying stages.

"I watched the Tri Nations last year and the Test (against New Zealand) last month," the Sydney Roosters hooker told AAP before the last of just two training sessions for both teams.

"It really really makes you miss rep football and this is a bit of a taste of it.

"It's a short week but it's great to be here. I'm looking for a big game out of myself.

"Everyone will be watching this game.

"It's a good opportunity to stick my hand up and let people know I'm still here."

Wing, 27, admitted it was difficult proving a point to the NSW selectors with the Roosters having won just one out of six games this season to sit bottom of the NRL ladder.

"I suppose it's hard when you're playing for a team that's lower on the table and you don't get as much attention in those games," he added.

"We haven't had the best start to the season but personally I've been really happy with my form.

"I'm really enjoying my football and I'm injury-free. I'm just having fun on the field and it's showing in the way I play football."

Meanwhile, in-form fullback Gidley said he didn't believe his chances of making an Origin debut would be hurt despite him playing out of position at five-eighth for Country.

"I've been enjoying some ball-playing at fullback myself anyway so it's nothing new," he said.

"I think the versatility probably helps me. Whether I get a start (for NSW) or not, it helps being able to play a few positions."
    Source: AAP

City and Country add 18th men

Both City and Country origin teams have added an 18th man to their squads, to cover for any possible injuries.

Country has opted for Canberra Raiders captain Alan Tongue. Tongue is one of the hardest working players in Rugby League, and was considered by many as unlucky to miss out on selection in the original squad.

A workhorse, Tongue topped the tackle count last year and is third on the Top tacklers list this season with only Cameron Smith and Dallas Johnson ahead of him.
    City have taken a different approach and named veteran Melbourne Storm winger Matt Geyer as their extra man. Geyer has played a bit of five eighth and centre of late, giving City a versatile back to come into the squad if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_BD1103 View Post

City and Country add 18th men

Both City and Country origin teams have added an 18th man to their squads, to cover for any possible injuries.

Country has opted for Canberra Raiders captain Alan Tongue. Tongue is one of the hardest working players in Rugby League, and was considered by many as unlucky to miss out on selection in the original squad.

A workhorse, Tongue topped the tackle count last year and is third on the Top tacklers list this season with only Cameron Smith and Dallas Johnson ahead of him.
    City have taken a different approach and named veteran Melbourne Storm winger Matt Geyer as their extra man. Geyer has played a bit of five eighth and centre of late, giving City a versatile back to come into the squad if needed.
    Geez at least it seems the selectors have Alan Tounge somewhat in their sights, but FFS he deserves alot better than 18th man.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    Geez at least it seems the selectors have Alan Tounge somewhat in their sights, but FFS he deserves alot better than 18th man.
    I agree 100% Steelers, he is one of the best players this season and his workrate is tremendous... I reckon if he gets a shot he should go out there and show the selectors that he is Origin material... not just for Country, but for NSW too...

Titan First Grade Regular

I hope one of the country guys (non-Phil Graham of course), catches a day flu thing and cant play.

Though, Tongue should be the starting Lock.........
    [

Starting lock? I think Creagh deserves his place, he has been light years ahead of the rest of his sorry teammates this year. But I wouldn't complain if Tongue got a run - got a lot of time for the guy. Reminds me of Richard Swain (only a bit bigger) - just keeps tackling all day, and rarely misses one.

In any case, I think Maitua will be NSW lock.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

-----SPOILERS- HIGHLIGHT TO READ-----

City have scored through Robbie Farah

4-0 City

El Masri has converted 6-0 City over Country

***HALFTIME***

NSW City 6

Tries: Farah
    Goals: El Masri 1/1

vs

NSW Country 0

Highlight to read review:

Been a good game so far, physical, tough and with limited opportunities. Country look more cohesive but City look more determined and able to attack when needed.

Laffranchi and Farah have both have stellar games for City, while the Country team halfback Brett Kimmorley was looking good before a nasty head lock saw him leave the field.

Should be a great second half, it's close ATM and it should be good.

Penalty Goal from El Masri after a late shot on Gower

City 8-Country 0

Try to Country and Anthony Quinn

Converted by Fitzgibbon

City 8- Country 6

Ryan Hoffman looks good, makes a great run and scores. Hazem swings one across the face of goal.

NSW City 12- NSW Country 6

City have been defending their heart out and they stop the Country team who had such a weight of possession... with Kurt Gidley losing the ball over the line in the dying seconds of the match...

***FULLTIME**- Highlight to read score

NSW City 12

Tries: Farah, Hoffman
    Goals: El Masri 2/3

vs

NSW Country 6

Tries: Quinn
    Goals: Fitzgibbon 1/1

Titan One Clubman

Gutted for Phil Graham..