Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I got a bit worried when Preston went down clutching his leg.
    Country were probably unlucky not to score in the end, lack of direction and some great defence.

What a waste of Rugby League time...this game was boring to watch, players were injured, NRL teams interupted weekend preperation and no palyer will be pick in the State of Origin because they played well.

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    What a waste of Rugby League time...this game was boring to watch, players were injured, NRL teams interupted weekend preperation and no palyer will be pick in the State of Origin because they played well.
    Exactly right, I couldn't even watch the entire 80 minutes, match was diabolical and a waste of time..

Funny how QLD get through fine without City-Country match. We may as well have A-M's vs N-Z's next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I got a bit worried when Preston went down clutching his leg.
    Country were probably unlucky not to score in the end, lack of direction and some great defence.
    He is on nrl.com as having as being on the injury due to his knee, don't know who serious, probably just a cork. Laffranchi came away with a broken nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    He is on nrl.com as having as being on the injury due to his knee, don't know who serious, probably just a cork. Laffranchi came away with a broken nose.
    Yep it's serious sadly... and sadly has put another negative on City vs Country which it didn't need... the game is a great idea, but one that may need a rethink due to the lack of support in Coffs and the issues with a Thursday game and now injuries.

Bush warfare takes heavy toll
    By Steve Mascord in Coffs Harbour
    May 04, 2007 12:00

PRESTON Campbell suffered suspected cruciate knee ligament damage and Brett Kimmorley was knocked senseless in an injury-strewn City-Country battle at Coffs Harbour last night.

NSW selector Bob McCarthy strongly suggested the experience of Anthony Minichiello and Braith Anasta would win them selection for the opening Origin game while Country's Brett White and City's Ryan Hoffman could have played themselves into the Blues line-up as Tim Sheens' men won 12-6 at Coffs Harbour's BCU Stadium.

But even McCarthy's revelation that rugby union-bound Timana Tahu would be strongly considered and Craig Fitzgibbon's announcement that his representative career was likely over were overshadowed by a Country casualty list headed by halfback Kimmorley (concussion), replacement Campbell (knee), winger Josh Morris (hip flexor), second-rower Fitzgibbon (cheekbone) and fellow forward Anthony Laffranchi (nose). City's Jason King also suffered a rib injury.

Kimmorley, knocked out trying to tackle Ryan Hoffman in the 37th minute, hopes to play for Cronulla against the Warriors tomorrow, but Country sources late last night said Campbell had probably damaged the posterior cruciate in his left knee, meaning four to six weeks on the sidelines.

"I was crawling on the ground and someone's come along and whacked me on the back of the calf," Campbell said.

"We're not sure what's wrong with it. I felt something click in the back of my knee.

"I've got full movement and everything there . . . I'll see how it pulls up in the morning and take it from there. If it's still sore I'll definitely have to get a scan or something done."

Kimmorley said: "I've got no idea. I feel good now. With 10 minutes to go in the game, I started to feel a bit normal again.

"It's not like I played crap or made mistakes. I got hurt and wasn't able to play on.

"I've enjoyed the week. I didn't play a full game so it's disappointing in that way."

An emotional Fitzgibbon, meanwhile, said as he nursed a swollen face and ice all over his body: "It's not getting any easier. This is probably the last time I'll ever wear a representative jumper.

"You wouldn't say no to a NSW jersey but I think my time has passed. I am no chance. I've had a good crack at the rep footy stuff."

St George Illawarra's Morris played on in the second half after complaining of a sore hip at the break and is highly unlikely to play against Penrith tonight.

After seeing a 62nd-minute try by Melbourne's Hoffman and a lost ball over the tryline at fulltime by Country five-eighth Kurt Gidley decide the contest, McCarthy gave several clues as to the thinking of selectors heading into Origin I on May 23.

The most significant was that selectors are intent on treating Parramatta's injured centre Tahu like any other player despite his impending defection to rugby union.

"He's under contract to Parramatta this year, never mind next year," he said. "As far as we're concerned, he's available just like everyone else. We want the best players."

McCarthy said Country captain Danny Buderus was a "lay down" for the NSW hooking duties. He said he was impressed with White and Country back-rower Anthony Laffranchi and that Kimmorley had been "a shade in front" of Craig Gower until he was injured.

CITY ORIGIN 12 (R Farah, R Hoffman tries; El Masri 2 goals) COUNTRY ORIGIN 6 (A Quinn try; C Fitzgibbon goal) at BCU Stadium, Coffs Harbour. Referee: S Hayne. Crowd: 8149.

Default ARL to act on City-Country scheduling

Source: www.nrl.com.au

ARL to act on City-Country scheduling

Friday, May 4, 2007 - 5:45 PM

The ARL will seek a more equitable NRL draw ahead of next year's City-Country match in a bid to avoid a repeat of Thursday night's dour display in Coffs Harbour.

Moments of attacking flair were few and far between as both teams evidently struggled to gel after just two full days of preparation.

Both had suffered heavily with the late arrival of eight players from Monday's night's match between Newcastle and Cronulla.

Billed as a platform for players to push their Origin claims, the game provided few standout performers, players claiming the rushed preparation had left little time to forge combinations.

City five-eighth Braith Anasta, one of the better performers, said the scheduling had been hard on both sides.

"It's a very hard game to play in and I think it showed," Anasta said.

"A lot of it was one-out stuff and when you've only got a couple of days to prepare the combination just aren't there.

"I think you need at least one or two more days.

"By the time we had the Monday night Cronulla guys coming into camp we only had our first training session on Tuesday afternoon.

"I think it's an important game for selections, but in saying that, I think you need those extra couple of days for selections to put your best foot forward and play some better football."

Country coach Craig Bellamy agreed.

"In our situation, we had six guys that played on the Monday (night) and that was really tough so when we actually gathered on Monday we only had two thirds of our squad there.

"Hopefully they can look at when the game is played - in terms of being put back to a Friday night but also be a little but aware of the Monday night game and some players that might be playing in the City-Country."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr conceded the scheduling had been an issue and said he would work with the NRL to ease the pressure on players and clubs from next year.

"We're looking at that now, obviously there are a variety of ways to do it, even if we don't change our TV arrangements," Carr said.

"You could put a game on that Monday night with someone like Warriors v North Queensland, which would allow the teams to be selected on Sunday and go into camp.

"It was unfortunate this time, and this was the first year we dealt with Monday night football, so there was always those unpredictable issue that come and up the fact that we had Cronulla and Newcastle on the Monday with so many players in the teams was obviously an issue.

"It's something we'll need to be mindful of in future."

The clash also left a hefty injury toll, the worst-off being Canberra's Phil Graham, who has a suspected torn medial ligament and could be out for up to six to eight weeks.

Gold Coast's Preston Campbell will also be sidelined for four to six weeks after suffering an ankle injury.

Brett Kimmorley suffered concussion during a tackle on Melbourne's Ryan Hoffman but could be a shock inclusion in the Sharks' match against the Warriors in Auckland on Saturday if declared fit after tests.

Anthony Laffranchi (broken nose), Craig Fitzgibbon (cheekbone), Josh Morris and Kurt Gidley (both hip) are also carrying injuries but are expected to back up for their teams this weekend.

Manly's Jason King is the only injury concern out of the City camp, with scans to determine the extent of a rib injury.

Source: AAP
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Junior Titan

Is it possible to get a City or Country jersey online?