Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Stars battle injuries, Titans name 19-man squad

Stars battle injuries, Titans name 19-man squad

Luke Turgeon

25Apr07

TITANS stars Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi will head for precautionary X-rays today but coach John Cartwright is confident they will be fit for Sunday's showdown with Parramatta at Carrara.

Fullback Campbell (hand) and backrower Laffranchi (foot) are the biggest Titans injury concerns following the weekend's 20-6 loss to Manly.

As an insurance policy, Cartwright yesterday named an extended 19-man squad to tackle the Eels and will reduce it to 17 tomorrow after fitness tests on Campbell, Laffranchi and winger Jake Webster (corked leg).

Lock Luke Swain comes back into the side from suspension, while utility Josh Graham and winger Matt Petersen have been named 18th and 19th man respectively.

"It is a bit early in the week to finalise the 17," said Cartwright.

"We will have a look at what Parramatta come up with and check the fitness on our guys and make a decision a bit closer to the weekend.

"It is nothing major but we have got a few guys that won't be able to train tomorrow because of a few bumps and bruises."

Cartwright said he was looking to move on from the controversial Sea Eagles game, which saw him slugged with a $5000 fine for approaching video referee Steve Nash to question an obstruction call.

Referees boss Robert Finch has since come out and said the decision, which led to Manly's opening try of the match in the second minute, was incorrect. As a direct result, Nash has been dropped by Finch for round seven and is expected to return in round eight.

"I have put him down for the week," said Finch.

"It was the general consensus at the referees meeting that the try should not have been awarded."

Cartwright said he would accept the fine.

"The rules are there for everyone to see," said Cartwright, who knew he was not supposed to talk to match officials.

"I broke the rules and will cop the punishment.

"I have learned a lesson from it.

"But it was nice to be vindicated.

"I spoke to the referees guy (Finch) and he said it was no try according to the rules, which should have been applied. But that doesn't help us."

Alterations to the obstruction rule were made this year and controversy surrounding the interpretation has clouded almost every match so far this season.

Cartwright declared the situation a mess and called on the National Rugby League to rectify the problem.

"It is popping up every week and in every other business or walks of life, if you have got issues you fix them," said Cartwright.

"It has got to be addressed somehow and it has got to get to a situation where we all know what the decision is going to be before it goes to the video.

"At the moment it is a lottery every time it goes up. Every coach in the NRL gets worried."
    Gold Coast Bulletin

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

graham pretty unlucky not to be named on the bench
    been good for us i rkn

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    graham pretty unlucky not to be named on the bench
    been good for us i rkn
    I'd put him at lock in place of Swain.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

I reckon the Titans will win this one - but not by much. I hope Graham and Petersen come in as they have both been good. Might need a bit of size in the backline to counter Parra's size.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

dont know how paea is keeping his possie
    i been defending him past few rounds
    saying he will improve, give it time
    but yeh he has 2 wingers(walker/peterson) on his heels, so if he dont preform this week his gone for sure

Talking Gold Coast Titans 2007 - Round by Round

Go the Titans Go Go Go They will get em by 9 otherwise im not happy

Default Swain fired up to face Parra

Source www.gcbulletin.com.au

Swain fired up to face Parra

Luke Turgeon

27Apr07

FLAME-haired Gold Coast Titans lock Luke Swain is back from suspension and more fired up than ever to make an impact when he returns to rugby league on Sunday against Parramatta at Carrara.

Swain was forced to watch last weekend's 20-6 loss against Manly on television from the Gold Coast after being rubbed out for one game by the National Rugby League judiciary for a late hit on Broncos halfback Shane Perry the week before.

It was the first time Swain had been suspended in his 83-game NRL career and he didn't like it one bit.

"The Manly game was really hard to watch," said Swain. "It was frustrating when the team is losing and you know that you can't do anything about it.

"It was tough.

"The fact I had to swim 10km with Billy (trainer Billy Johnstone) and ride 80km instead didn't help."

Swain has managed to re-claim his No.13 jumper despite an impressive showing from rookie replacement Josh Graham against Manly.

Titans coach John Cartwright said he had no reservations about slotting Swain straight back in.

"Swainy has been there all year and did a good job and he deserves to come straight back in," said Cartwright.

"Josh is doing a great job for us. But he still is getting used to the pace of the game.

"He only played 40 minutes at the weekend and that was up on his previous game in the forwards."

Graham has been named as 18th man this week.

"Just because he is named 18 or 19 doesn't mean he won't be out there somewhere," said Cartwright.

Winger Mat Petersen, who has been named as 19th man, looks set to challenge for a starting spot and could oust Lelea Paea, after showing good form at training since returning from a neck injury.

Backrower Anthony Laffranchi (foot) and star fullback Preston Campbell (hand) have been cleared of major damage after undergoing X-rays on Wednesday.

Cartwright is looking to put a disrupted week behind him. On Monday he was fined $5000 after a run-in with video referee Steve Nash during the Manly match and on Tuesday the club resolved the Chris Walker saga.

Nash was subsequently dumped for this week's round after referee's boss Robert Finch ruled he should have called obstruction on Manly's opening try, the incident which led to the confrontation with Cartwright.

"You would rather it didn't happen but if they get the decisions right it doesn't have to happen," said Cartwright of Nash's axing.

"No one wants to see anyone lose their job over it but I guess it just highlights the issue that is the obstruction rule."

Cartwright will finalise his 17-man side to take on the Eels tomorrow.
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Yeah...I'll be watching Swain a bit closer this weekend, I don't think I've seen him beat a player in attack and that is strange for a lock.
    I don't think Swain is going that bad, probably getting used to playing in a bit of a different position to what he's used to. Waterhouse usually played most of the game at lock, so Swain would have come in for second rowers and props.
    He's making a decent amount of tackles. Not sure just how much game time he's getting. Broken 6 tackles and the line once in his five games this season.

Alan Tongue, who was probably one of the best forwards last year, has only managed 8 tackle breaks in 6 games and hasn't broken the line at all.
    Although he is getting through a lot more defence.

I may be a bit biased, as a Panther fan, but i've also been keeping my eye on him because of that, and I think he's done well.
    Sure, he's not busting games open, but he's getting work done and has been solid. I'm guessing he's who is coming off so we can have both hookers on the field, while a lot of other locks are playing the full 80.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

I had to pop in for this one, no prizes who i tipped!!!

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Default Paea Out, Peterson In

Source www.nrl.com.au

Petersen keen to cement his wing spot

Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:01 PM

Playing against his old NRL club Parramatta at Carrara on Sunday doesn't hold any special meaning for Gold Coast winger Matt Petersen.

He's just delighted to be playing again after a frustrating injury-marred start to the season.

Coach John Cartwright has axed out-of-form winger Lelea Paea from the 17-man squad for the clash with the Eels, drafting Petersen into the starting team following his recovery from a neck injury.

"I'm just happy to be back in the side," Petersen said after training on Saturday.

"I haven't placed any significant meaning on it (playing against the Eels).

"It's just another game and we have to play well to turn around the loss (20-6 to Manly) from last week."

Petersen played only eight games for Parramatta last year following the emergence of excitement machine Jarryd Hayne.

He underwent a shoulder reconstruction in the off-season and then injured his knee in the lead-up to the Titans' historic season-opener against St George Illawarra.

"I just want to settle down and try and cement my spot," said Petersen, who has been sidelined for the past two rounds.

"I missed games against the Dragons and the Broncos so there's a couple of big ones."

Some might say the Titans wingers are cursed after Steve Turner and Brian Carney both abandoned the club in the pre-season, Chris Walker broke his thumb before becoming involved in an alcohol-fuelled nightclub incident and Paea and Kiwi international Jake Webster have been playing poorly.

In contrast the Eels are more settled and their halves combination of Tim Smith and Brett Finch are improving every week.

"I think they're a bit off peaking yet," said Parramatta and Kangaroos back-rower Nathan Hindmarsh.

"They've still got a lot of good footy in them yet."

Petersen added: "It's round seven this week and it was always going to take time for them to gel.

"They are starting to play well and when you've got players like that on either side of the ruck that can control the play so well, it does make it hard."

Hindmarsh, Eels skipper Nathan Cayless and Titans co-captain Luke Bailey will be playing their third game in nine days on Sunday.

Cartwright said Bailey's workload would be carefully monitored during the gruelling representative season.

"He's just got a tremendous work ethic and he's very tough," Cartwright remarked.

"We'll monitor him. He's coming into a tough time of the year, especially if he makes State of Origin.

"We'll have to keep a close eye on him. It is tough but everyone wants to see the best players on the paddock in all forms of the game."

Eels back-rower Ian Hindmarsh has been ruled out of Sunday's clash after sustaining a nasty head clash from a collision last weekend with Bulldogs forward Chris Armit.

Source: AAP

All our wishes have been answered and Paea has been replaced by Peterson. I think we will see a big game from Peterson to keep his spot.

yay
    man swain had a good game vs broncos
    when we bought him we knew he was a workhorse
    i rkn his improving each week tbh
    happy wiht paea getting dropped
    all we need now is hilder

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    all we need now is hilder
    Hilder is playing o.k., but maybe O'Dwyer will play 5/8 when he is fully fit.

I picked Petersen being brought into the side when the teams were named

Some might say the Titans wingers are cursed after Steve Turner and Brian Carney both abandoned the club in the pre-season, Chris Walker broke his thumb before becoming involved in an alcohol-fuelled nightclub incident and Paea and Kiwi international Jake Webster have been playing poorly.
    I think that Webster has been one of the better players in the past couple of rounds... typical media

Default Titans skipper out to make Tim's trip pointless

Titans skipper out to make Tim's trip pointless
    Luke Turgeon
    28Apr07

GOLD Coast Titans rugby league co-captain Scott Prince will be out to spoil Tim Smith's homecoming party when the Titans host Parramatta in front of an expected capacity crowd at Carrara tomorrow afternoon.

A Runaway Bay junior, Eels halfback Smith will have his fair share of fans in the stands but Prince is confident of sending him back to Sydney minus the prized two competition points.

"He is a local boy so he probably would be looking to impress at home on his home turf," said Prince.

"But it is a game we have to win.

"He is a good player and he got rookie of the year a few years back.

"He has got a really good kicking game and can throw a handy ball so we definitely have to be on our game to combat that.

"But at the end of the day we have to worry about the way we play."

Sitting eighth and ninth on the National Rugby League ladder respectively, with three wins from their first six games, the Eels and the Titans are both looking to bounce back from last round losses.

The Titans were unlucky to an extent against Manly, falling 20-6, while Parramatta came up short against the Bulldogs 21-18.

Smith is starting to form a formidable combination with Parramatta five-eighth Brett Finch after a shaky start to the season and the pair should prove tough to stop.

Former Roosters halfback Finch appears to have grown in confidence in the No.6 jumper and has been dangerous when he has decided to take on the defensive line.

"It is going to make it difficult defensively because they (Smith and Finch) can both play on each sides of the ruck," said Prince.

"It makes it hard when you are defending because you don't know which way the ball is going to go.

"But we have just got to get up off the line and be alive and really enthusiastic defensively."

For Titans backrower Anthony Laffranchi -- who is leading the league in offloads (19) and second in the hit-up count (116) -- and fullback Preston Campbell it will be their final chance to impress Country Origin selectors before the team for the May 3 City-Country match is named tomorrow night.

"(Eels and Test backrower) Nathan Hindmarsh is a great player and Boof (Laffranchi) is playing the best I have ever seen him play," said Prince.

"It will be a good test for Boof to match it with him."
    Gold Coast Bulletin

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"