Stars battle injuries, Titans name 19-man squad

Luke Turgeon

25Apr07

TITANS stars Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi will head for precautionary X-rays today but coach John Cartwright is confident they will be fit for Sunday's showdown with Parramatta at Carrara.

Fullback Campbell (hand) and backrower Laffranchi (foot) are the biggest Titans injury concerns following the weekend's 20-6 loss to Manly.

As an insurance policy, Cartwright yesterday named an extended 19-man squad to tackle the Eels and will reduce it to 17 tomorrow after fitness tests on Campbell, Laffranchi and winger Jake Webster (corked leg).

Lock Luke Swain comes back into the side from suspension, while utility Josh Graham and winger Matt Petersen have been named 18th and 19th man respectively.

"It is a bit early in the week to finalise the 17," said Cartwright.

"We will have a look at what Parramatta come up with and check the fitness on our guys and make a decision a bit closer to the weekend.

"It is nothing major but we have got a few guys that won't be able to train tomorrow because of a few bumps and bruises."

Cartwright said he was looking to move on from the controversial Sea Eagles game, which saw him slugged with a $5000 fine for approaching video referee Steve Nash to question an obstruction call.

Referees boss Robert Finch has since come out and said the decision, which led to Manly's opening try of the match in the second minute, was incorrect. As a direct result, Nash has been dropped by Finch for round seven and is expected to return in round eight.

"I have put him down for the week," said Finch.

"It was the general consensus at the referees meeting that the try should not have been awarded."

Cartwright said he would accept the fine.

"The rules are there for everyone to see," said Cartwright, who knew he was not supposed to talk to match officials.

"I broke the rules and will cop the punishment.

"I have learned a lesson from it.

"But it was nice to be vindicated.

"I spoke to the referees guy (Finch) and he said it was no try according to the rules, which should have been applied. But that doesn't help us."

Alterations to the obstruction rule were made this year and controversy surrounding the interpretation has clouded almost every match so far this season.

Cartwright declared the situation a mess and called on the National Rugby League to rectify the problem.

"It is popping up every week and in every other business or walks of life, if you have got issues you fix them," said Cartwright.

"It has got to be addressed somehow and it has got to get to a situation where we all know what the decision is going to be before it goes to the video.

"At the moment it is a lottery every time it goes up. Every coach in the NRL gets worried."
Gold Coast Bulletin