Junior Titan

Default Lockyer in position switch

Lockyer can make halfback switch: Langer
    Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:35 PM

Brisbane halfback great Allan Langer has endorsed champion playmaker Darren Lockyer moving into the No.7 jumper he wore 288 times for the Broncos.

Lockyer fed the scrums and shifted into first receiver in Brisbane's morale-boosting 20-16 win over Newcastle on Sunday night in a preview to what some believe could be another positional switch for the one-time fullback.

He was able to have a bigger influence on his forwards and still worked with his outside backs.

Lockyer's kicking game, which kept Newcastle on the back foot all night, included a crucial 40-20 effort.

The performance sparked speculation coach Wayne Bennett could move him to halfback following the 2004 decision to shift him from fullback to five-eighth for the good of the team.

"I think it could work well for them," said Langer when asked his views on Lockyer playing a first receiver role in attack.

"He loves getting the ball in his hands and I can't see any reason why it would be a problem."

With Ian Lacey and Michael Ennis sharing the dummy half role, Shaun Berrigan shifted to five-eighth on Sunday night and was able to float around the ruck and play his usually defensive role.

"It get's him (Lockyer) even more involved with the decisions and I think it helps the team," said Langer, adding he thought the move would work well given time.

"It might go well one week and not the next, it all takes time.

"Darren does what is best for the team and if he needed to go there, I think he'd do it."

Brisbane's halfback role has been a major problem area for Bennett since Langer hung up his boots in 2002.

Last month Bennett declared fullback Karmichael Hunt would be given his chance to play the role ahead of Shane Perry.

Grand final halfback Perry has been unable to make the position his own and against the Knights, because of injuries, Lockyer found himself in the new role.

Meanwhile, Ennis says Brisbane's gritty win on an emotional night in Newcastle came after players accepted "ownership" of Brisbane's disappointing start to their premiership defence.

"I think we all recognised we needed to take a bit of ownership that it was the players who probably weren't working hard enough for each other," said Ennis, who took some big steps to putting his career back on track after last year's serious knee injury.

"We ground out a tough win, in a tough place to win and it showed a lot of character.

"I thought last night was personally one of the biggest team games I've been involved in.

"Every guy was talking on the park, right till the death."

Ennis said Melbourne weren't playing their best football but they were winning.

"They're playing a team style of football which is what you have to do this time of the year and it's why they're winning their games," he said.

"If we take last night's attitude into the game against Melbourne and into the week's ahead I think you'll start to see the Broncos side really build together."

Source: AAP
    "Go the Titans"

I don't think Lockyer feeding a couple of scrums means that he is a halfback......anyone can do that these days.

Besides the Broncos should be getting into the habit of relying too much on Lockyer.....oops too late

Lockyer would be suited at half back and Hunt is a born 5/8.
    I thought they should have been the Bronco halves two years ago.

He played quite well there last night but the is no chance of him wearing the no7 in front of Thurston for Origin.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    He played quite well there last night but the is no chance of him wearing the no7 in front of Thurston for Origin.
    Simple fix to that... Thurston moves to 5/8.

Why move the best halfback in the game , i think Meninga may think differently to Bennet .
    #itaintweaktospeak

I posted this on LU

I think it is a no brainer.

When you have the Australian 5/8
    The Australian Hooker
    The Australian Winger
    The old Australian Lock
    The Australian fullback
    The Australian Center
    and the Kiwi Winger
    and Kiwi Lock

What else can you do but put:
    The 5/8 at Half
    Winger at Center
    Lock at Center
    Fullback to 5/8
    Center to Fullback
    Kiwi winger to reggies
    and the Kiwi Lock to the bench

It just stands to reason

Doesnt it
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I posted this on LU

I think it is a no brainer.

When you have the Australian 5/8
    The Australian Hooker
    The Australian Winger
    The old Australian Lock
    The Australian fullback
    The Australian Center
    and the Kiwi Winger
    and Kiwi Lock

What else can you do but put:
    The 5/8 at Half
    Winger at Center
    Lock at Center
    Fullback to 5/8
    Center to Fullback
    Kiwi winger to reggies
    and the Kiwi Lock to the bench

It just stands to reason

Doesnt it
    Interesting I think Wayne is probably trying a few things out because in a couple of years people like Brad Thorn, Tonie Carroll, Darren Lockyer, Petro, Tate-Union?, Berrigan are all going to be goners so maybe he is setting them up for the future.
    "Go the Titans"

Nope he is trying to compensate not recuiting or holding on to a decent halfback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Junior Titan

I watched a qld cup game and Brent Mcconnell didn't look to bad
    "Go the Titans"

Lockyer's move to halfback is a natural progression and not because Hunt can move to 5/8.

Everybody seems to be forgetting about the Broncos boom young teenager who is being groomed for th 5/8 role. If Joel Moon is as good as the raps on him then next year or the year after they are going to need to play Joel and Darren together in the halves.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_Weno View Post
    Lockyer's move to halfback is a natural progression and not because Hunt can move to 5/8.

Everybody seems to be forgetting about the Broncos boom young teenager who is being groomed for th 5/8 role. If Joel Moon is as good as the raps on him then next year or the year after they are going to need to play Joel and Darren together in the halves.
    Joel has been named on n extened bench so maybe we could see a shuffle
    "Go the Titans"

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_Weno View Post

Maybe but it's a shame watching Hunt, with all the skills of a 5/8, not getting a run there...he could dominate the 5/8 role for the next 5 or so years.