Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rugby League hitting back with Titans

Opinion: NRL hitting back with Titans

Even the staunchest fan would have to admit that in the years following the Super League war that rugby league in south-east Queensland had given up some ground to rival football codes, particularly AFL.

Broncos crowds had shrunk since the lofty heights of the early-to-mid '90s, a couple of south-east Queensland teams had been disposed of like last week's garbage, all while the AFL was lifting its profile at a rapid rate thanks to the successful Brisbane Lions and rugby union was doing likewise on the back of the 'Super' concept and the Wallabies.

But if you were one of the 47,686 fans at Suncorp Stadium last Friday night you would have to be convinced that rugby league has fully returned to its former greatness in a heartland that had been stuffed around for various reasons since 1997.

The buzz in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast in the lead-up to the inaugural Titans-Broncos clash was State of Origin-like with all forms of media saturated with coverage of the game.

Sydney fans know all too well how popular local derbies can be and this was something Brisbane league supporters had missed out on since the axing of the Chargers in 1998.

Broncos matches against the Cowboys have certainly grown in profile over the last few seasons, but due to the immense distance of the two teams it was more of a Queensland derby rather than a truly local one.

Anyone who thought rugby league starts and ends with the Broncos in south-east Queensland would have been shocked at the number of blue jerseys at the game on Friday night, easily outnumbering the maroon and gold of the reigning premier.

It was refreshing to learn that Titans fans do not exclusively come from the Gold Coast and that many people from Brisbane have taken them on board as the team to follow. People still dirty on the tragic demise of the Crushers would most definitely fit the bill of 'Brisbanites' willing to give the Titans a go.

And from what we have seen in the opening five rounds of the competition, the Titans are a team worth backing because they play an enterprising brand of football and are committed in everything they do.

Watching them put the cleaners through the Broncos on Friday night was hardly surprising if you saw them clinically dispose of the Panthers away from home just the week before.

The bonus for the Titans is the fact that all their big names have stood up when required this season. Halfback Scott Prince has been a revelation as the team's key playmaker and prop Luke Bailey is the colossus that leads a very underrated and enthusiastic pack of forwards that have outshone more illustrious opposition several times already in 2007.

Mentor John Cartwright has done a sterling job in successfully molding a bunch of strangers together in such a short space of time ? not bad for a rookie NRL coach.

And speaking of people who deserve a wrap, managing director Michael Searle and his team have been justified in their decision to take a couple of the Titans' bigger matches against the Dragons and Broncos to the 52,500 capacity Suncorp Stadium.

Searle copped some criticism on the Coast for taking these games north so early in the club's existence, but the figures speak for themselves with an average of 44,358 attending both matches compared to the maximum 18,500 allowed at the Titans' current home base of Carrara.

Next season only the Broncos derby will be taken to Suncorp Stadium with all remaining matches to be played at the exciting new 25,000-capacity stadium currently being built at Robina.

And why wouldn't you ensure all future Titans-Broncos derbies remained at a facility capable of the holding the most number of fans ? the people of Queensland's south-east demand it such is the high volume of rugby league interest in the area these days.

Sportal
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

A great article and one I agree with. Rugby league in Queensland is fast returning to former glory and the Titans have been the catalyst.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Thats a huge wrap for the whole organisation & more importantley us the "FANS" !
    #itaintweaktospeak

What a great article. Nice to see the local derby against the Broncos will be at Suncorp again next year. I only hope they have learnt a little with buses and trains from this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

great read, got to agree a huge wrap for the team and fans a real feel good article

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Thats a huge wrap for the whole organisation & more importantley us the "FANS" !
    and the team that work endlesly to get the best result for us
    "Go the Titans"

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    What a great article. Nice to see the local derby against the Broncos will be at Suncorp again next year. I only hope they have learnt a little with buses and trains from this year.
    Not quite, Titans played great. They are really making their opening season as successful as they possibly can.

We've needed a second team in the area for a long time.
    I've come across plenty of locals who just don't like the Broncos, so this gives another option.

Definitely a lot of support in Brisbane too. Heading to the game for round 1, literally from the moment I stepped outside my door, I was seeing Titans fans heading to the game.
    Going into the city after work before the Broncos game, saw just as many Titans jerseys as Broncos, and had a few "Go Titans!" comments from people.

I'm a fan of moving the Broncos game to Suncorp in future too. We most definitely had the more supporters there, and the louder. So there's no home ground advantage lost.

Junior Titan

Actually even though it is a great stadium and was a excellent crowd, i would rather our home derby game be played at Robina. We would already play there home game at Suncorp. We could make Robina a real blue stronghold and it would be special for the team and the coast to have a sell out at home with all the hype of last weekend

I reckon that once Robina is built, there will be 2 games a year, with one at each ground. If the teams are only going to play each other once in the year, take it to Suncorp.

Since the Bonco's stuffed us around with the Super League debacle, I don't care where we play them as long as we beat them. I have always had a soft spot for the Crushers and there fans. It's is great that the crowds have always been loyal to there footy here in SEQ, but I wish the crowds could come back to the old days when it was the BRL and the local grounds had more spectators watching the games. Not only did the Boncos stuff us up with Super League they also stuffed up the BRL. Why would you want to be a Bonco supporter?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    I reckon that once Robina is built, there will be 2 games a year, with one at each ground. If the teams are only going to play each other once in the year, take it to Suncorp.
    No way , the Titans will never give a home game up again once Robina is finished there will almost certainly be a sellout for most matches & definatley against the Broncos & hopefully we can give it a nickname like a famous Kiwi ground "THE HOUSE OF PAIN" !!!!!
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Shav

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons View Post
    Since the Bonco's stuffed us around with the Super League debacle, I don't care where we play them as long as we beat them. I have always had a soft spot for the Crushers and there fans. It's is great that the crowds have always been loyal to there footy here in SEQ, but I wish the crowds could come back to the old days when it was the BRL and the local grounds had more spectators watching the games. Not only did the Boncos stuff us up with Super League they also stuffed up the BRL. Why would you want to be a Bonco supporter?
    Love ya work Dragon's

92 - 93 - 97 - 98 - 2000 - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    No way , the Titans will never give a home game up again once Robina is finished there will almost certainly be a sellout for most matches & definatley against the Broncos & hopefully we can give it a nickname like a famous Kiwi ground "THE HOUSE OF PAIN" !!!!!
    The Titans shouldn't have to give up a home game. If the Titans and Broncos play each other only once in a season, then have it as a Broncos home game, so that it can be played at Suncorp. Hopefully though they can have the two teams play against each other twice in a season so both teams get a home game.

Quote Originally Posted by shavenjas View Post
    Love ya work Dragon's
    Truth hurts!