Ipswich kids learn about chasing goals
Emma Boland

GOLD Coast Titans winger Lelea Paea is confident his team can bounce back against Penrith on Sunday despite the Titans poor round three performance against the Bulldogs.

In Ipswich yesterday as part of the Kids to Kangaroos Super clinic at Brothers Leagues Club, Paea was equally at home with the youngsters as he is on the field. He looked at ease mixing it with about 500 vocal children from schools throughout Ipswich.

Gold Coast Titans winger Lalea Paea and Teen Titans player Shannon Walker teaches year seven students.

?It?s very important to have these types of clinics for the kids,? the up-and-coming winger said.

?I remember when I was kid. Just the fact that a high-profile player took the time out of their busy schedule to come out and see us was always pretty special.

?It is a privilege to be able to give something back to the kids as they generally are the ones who are supporting us 100 percent.?

As for their round four clash with Penrith, the 24-year-old first grader is convinced his teammates will dig deep and produce a winning performance in what is shaping up to be a one of the blockbuster games over the Easter break.

?Hopefully we can play a lot better than last week,? Paea said.

?Playing Penrith at Penrith is always a hard task but one the team is ready for.

?It will be a hard game and I am pretty sure they will be in for a big one after their win against the Broncos, but after last week, we want to put something on for the fans.

?We definitely have showed that we can be competitive but we don?t just want to be seen as that. We want to be seen as a team that is going to fight for a win right up until the final whistle is blown.

?Every time we play, our combinations are getting better and our cohesion is improving. We can only get better from here.?

The former Sydney Roosters Jersey Flegg and Premier League premiership winning player has signed a one-year contract with the Titans after making the trip north to be reunited with Gold Coast coach John Cartwright.

?I played under Carty (Cartwright) a bit when I was with the Roosters and I like his coaching style and the way he goes about things,? Paea said.

?I am relishing in my role with the Titans. It?s great to be part of a whole new club that has such a good vibe about it.?

The Campbelltown junior was quick to dismiss any negativity towards his former coach Ricky Stuart.

?I played for the Roosters for six years and made my debut with them in 2004,? the New South Welshman said.

?Leaving for me was purely that I needed a fresh start and Carty just happened to give me that.

?I always got along good with Ricky (Stuart). He is an honest bloke and straight down the line and that is what I love about people.?

When asked about what it feels like to have a whole town behind him, Paea grinned and looked around at the kids. ?It feels great but it can be a little demanding at times,? he said. ?But when you come to things (clinic) like this, it all makes it worthwhile. I am loving every minute with the Titans.?

As for semi-final aspirations, the bustling winger said the club was focusing on the immediate future. ?It definitely is there in the back of our minds but we are just making sure that we don?t play too much ahead,? he admitted.

?We are taking it one game at a time.? Paea was joined by three other Gold Coast Titans members at the Kids to Kangaroos Super clinic yesterday.

Seventy Australian Rugby League development officers were also on hand to teach the kids the fundamentals of the game.

The kids received a t-shirt, boot bag, signed poster and lunch at the duration of the three-hour clinic which was free.

Queensland Times