Default Titans first-string centres in doubt

Source : www.gcbulletin.com.au

Luke Turgeon

05Apr07

THE Titans could head into battle against the Panthers on Sunday with a chunk of their backline missing, after centres Mat Rogers and Jake Webster failed to train yesterday.

Rogers is nursing a neck injury while fellow flyer Webster is struggling with a knee complaint.

Coach John Cartwright confirmed both players were in doubt for the Penrith clash following yesterday's training session at Runaway Bay.

The loss of both first-string centres would be a major blow for the Titans, who are looking to steady the ship after going down to the Bulldogs 22-6 at the weekend.

Cartwright said both Rogers and Webster would be given until the eve of the match to prove their fitness.

"We will get plenty of treatment into them between now and Friday and will make some decisions on Saturday," said Cartwright.

"Hopefully it's (Rogers' neck injury) not too serious.

"We will give him a couple of days rest and see how he goes.

"It is generally a one to two week injury (for Webster) so we will be pushing it fine but our medical staff have been doing a great job so far."

Five-eighth Matt Hilder, who has been battling a shoulder injury, should be right to play.

Failing the fitness of Rogers or Webster, it is likely that rugby union recruit Josh Graham or 21-year-old former Parramatta centre Brett Delaney will be brought into the starting side.

Delaney has kicked off the year in the Queensland Cup with Tweed Heads.

A possible bolter into one of the vacant spots could be Burleigh Bears centre Jordan Atkins, who would make his NRL debut.

"It is always challenging but it will open up a spot for someone and give someone an opportunity that they probably thought wasn't going to come for a while," said Cartwright.

"That is the best thing about our game, you think you are entrenched in the lower grades and all of a sudden there are a few injuries and up pops your chance.

"We will train with a few different options and then decide on Saturday."

Cartwright tipped a much improved performance against the Panthers following Sunday's scrappy display against the Bulldogs, in which they missed 33 tackles and made 11 handling errors.

"Now we just look for where we think we can improve, areas where we underachieved at the weekend," said Cartwright.

"We will work on rectifying them and look for any little weakness we can spot in the Panthers.

"With the NRL season you just have to move on, you can't dwell on losses.

"We dropped it early in the tackle count and in our own half and we burned a lot of juice in defence in our own half.

"Defensively we are very good at the moment.

"We are doing a lot more tackles than the opposition and in all three games we have been a chance with 20-15 minutes to go.

"I am happy with aspects of our game but there is still a hell of a lot of improvement there."

Cartwright said the off-field drama surrounding Bulldogs prop Mark O'Meley receiving a one-week ban for kneeing Titans co-captain Scott Prince in the head had not affected the side.

"It was just a beat up," he said. "He had a chance to plead innocent and he didn't do it.

"Princey has done nothing wrong."
    That doesn't sound too go at all, fingers crossed we can field close to a full strength team. If we loose one of our centers due to injury, Id put Minichello at number 12 and try Cooper in the centers
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

No Webster or Rogers would be a HUGE loss. Hopefully they take to the field.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Brett Delaney is busting out of his skin for a chance to play grade, if he comes in, we won't loose too much if anything. I have a huge opinion on this guy and once he gets a chance in first grade he will be hard to dislodge.

Let's hope at least one of Webster or Rogers is able to play.

Wink

Injuries always a major concern. Usually the players that cover are always very kean to impress not a bad thing with a new team stilling trying to combine, never know we may surprise. I am confident of the guys playing well this week, they seemed very tentative last week.
    Good luck.

I shall be at the game and wave my flag again.

Default Delaney set to star on centre stage

Source : www.gcbulletin.com.au

Luke Turgeon

06Apr07

TITANS centre hopeful Brett Delaney says he is determined to stand up and be counted should Mat Rogers fail a fitness test on his neck injury tomorrow.

The 21-year-old former Parramatta centre slotted into Rogers' position at Titans training yesterday, after the dual international failed to take the field for the second day in a row.

"The way I am looking at things is as if I am playing," said Delaney, who has started the season with Tweed Heads in the Queensland Cup.

"It is a bit hard, the boys have been going alright so I am just biding my time.

"Carty (John Cartwright) knows I am here."

Coach Cartwright said Rogers and fellow centre Jake Webster (knee) would undergo fitness tests tomorrow before the team left for Sydney to take on Penrith on Sunday. Rugby union recruit Josh Graham has been training in the place of Webster.

"The doctor is not real confident with Jake or Mat but we will give them until Saturday," said Cartwright.

"But it has been a good chance to run the other guys in there and give them two good training sessions if they have to play on Sunday.

"This week runs into a Friday game next week so it is a short turn around and we are probably thinking about being a little bit cautious with them at this stage."

Webster, who took part in limited field training yesterday, said he was confident of lining up against the Panthers after hyper extending his knee during last weekend's 22-6 loss to the Bulldogs.

"It is feeling pretty good," said Webster.

"I had a run today for the first time since it happened, I knew I did something but it wasn't too bad.

"I was in a brace for two days and it has started to settle down.

"It pulled up a bit sore (after training) but it feels good when I am moving."

Delaney, who will travel to Sydney with the team regardless, has played 18 career National Rugby league games, 16 of those last season.

"If I go back to Q Cup after this I will just keep playing the same way as I have lately," said Delaney.

Backrower Mark Minichiello looks set to move off the bench and take his place in the starting side at the expense of Gavin Cooper.

"I am really excited if Brett and Josh get a chance," said Cartwright.

"They have been busting for this moment."
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan View Post
    Brett Delaney is busting out of his skin for a chance to play grade, if he comes in, we won't loose too much if anything. I have a huge opinion on this guy and once he gets a chance in first grade he will be hard to dislodge.

Let's hope at least one of Webster or Rogers is able to play.
    I totally agree i think Brett is a great player and deserves his chance. I also think that Webster is a better winger than center but never mind. Hopefully one will play and then it will give the chance for brett to shine.

Default Rogers out of Titans team

Source : www.nrl.com.au

Saturday, April 7, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Gold Coast dual international Mat Rogers has been ruled out of Sunday's clash with Penrith at CUA Stadium after failing a fitness test on his neck.

Titans officials said it was "touch and go" whether the 31-year-old would make the trip to Sydney, but erred on the side of caution with the former Wallaby utility likely to be fit for next week's local derby against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

Titans co-captain Scott Prince (ankle), five-eighth Matt Hilder (shoulder) and centre Jake Webster (knee) all passed fitness tests on Saturday and have been cleared to play on Sunday.

Former Eel Brett Delaney will replace Rogers and make his debut in Titans colours on Sunday after starring in the club's feeder team during the first three weeks of competition.

Despite the loss of Rogers, Panthers captain Tony Puletua has warned his side not to underestimate the Titans.

"I'm not sure what they're doing in their camp but I'm sure they're doing everything they can to prepare to win every game every week and (Sunday) will be no different," said Puletua.

"They put in a good performance against us in the trials but it's going to be a different story this time because we are in season.

"We have both had a few games under our belts now and it should be a good one.

"I think they've been pretty solid in their games. They have been playing those games that can go either way. They have put in some good performances the last three weeks and are going well.

"Any team can win if they play well on the day."

Puletua said the Panthers must expose a weakened Titans outfit if they are to build momentum on their early season spark.

Unheralded five-eighth Peter Wallace booted Penrith to a golden-point extra time victory over reigning premier Brisbane last week with a 40m field goal and Puletua said his side must continue to win the tough games like that if they are to remain competitive in 2007.

"It would be good (to win three in a row). We've had a couple of good wins now and we'd just like to keep that going," said Puletua.

"We know there's a lot to be gained from playing consistently good footy and it's just a matter of keeping that going on Sunday.

"(The 29-28 win over Brisbane) was just one of those games, that happens in footy. I suppose before we might have lost that game through fitness and stuff but it was good how the boys played the full 80 (minutes) and we ended up coming away with the result.

"It was a good win but we can't get carried away with it, there's still a long season to go."
    No Rogers, but Prince, Hilder and Webster have passed fitness tests.
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 07-04-07 at 01:00 PM.

no real biggy
    rogers has shown some spark of greatness but been quite, like last week game
    wats the go with amthers
    is he playing for a qld team this week?

Rogers isn't that much of a loss. He has been very quiet so far IMO.

Junior Titan

Will give delaney a good go in first grade and hopefully he could do well to push the selection issue.

least now we know we got depth in the centers