Default Mario and Sonic together at last.

Source:
    SMH

Two old rivals in the video game business are teaming up.

Sega and Nintendo have agreed to pit their two high-profile mascots - Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario the plumber - against each other in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.

It's the first time the snarky blue hedgehog and the pudgy Italian plumber have appeared in the same title. The game, to be released in time for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, will include table tennis, swimming and running, among other events.

"Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?" said Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the game guru behind such titles as Donkey Kong.

For years, the two companies were bitter rivals in the console business.

In the 1990s, Sega's Genesis and Dreamcast systems competed against Nintendo's Super NES and Nintendo 64 for market dominance. Sega quit the hardware business in 2001 after conceding defeat to rivals such as Sony's PlayStation consoles.

It now makes video games for all the major consoles.

The game will be released for Nintendo's Wii console and DS handheld system by the end of the year, officials said.

With its motion-sensitive remote controls, Nintendo's Wii has been a surprise hit of the three next-generation consoles and was the No. 1 system in the United States in January and February, according to data from market researcher NPD Group.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 was No. 2, followed by Sony's PlayStation 3.

I am not overly excited by this news. Mario and Sonic combining I'm fine with, but the setting I am not. Two of the biggest video game mascots and the best they can do is an Olympics setting?

I saw this news this morning, was about to post a topic on it, glad you did.

Cause this is historic news. For years we have been dreaming of this.

This is an instant MUST OWN title! Just hope the Olympics scene doesnt turn into a gimmack and its a deep game.

Now hopefully we will see Sonic and his team in SMASH BROS!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Haha the two legends of the gaming world together in one game, now I've seen it all
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=15070

Screenshots of Wii and DS. Unimpressive screenshots I should say. What the hell is Bowser doing racing Mario and Sonic? :P

Who would have ever pictured this 15 years ago?!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER