Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think Falou needs to at least have a full season experience under his belt before he could play Origin.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Poida View Post
    Its not just where they were born.
    You can have played your first football in one of the states to qualify for it.
    Spot on ---Also Queensland didn't make these rules (The ARL did!).. And if you want to drop names of players picked to play for States they weren't born in---Michael O'Connor- some of you may remember he kicked NSW to a series win at State of Origin at Lang Park in the rain (actually he played Union for Qld & Australia from here but his first game of League was in Sydney), Mat Rodgers may not have been born here but his Dad , Steve (god he was talented!)was!

And wait until we see the drain of Queensland kids to NSW with this Colts Comp next year ( because believe it or not as their is more clubs based in NSW than Qld and the NSW club scouts will need to grab players younger for this comp than in the past after all it may be U20's but most players will be signed at 14 & 15 years of age on a contact if they have potential) but I ownly hope they taste U16's level first up here or school reps otherwise they will qualify for NSW even though they are born here!
    Last edited by Old Diehard; 02-04-07 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan View Post
    Folau is future representative, I would take not of the call from Billy Slater and plead for selectors to be patient with the 17 y.o. prodigy.

The backline selection is open and Folau is behind in the pecking order with ONLY three games to his name - let's keep that in mind.
    Where part of me agrees with this, the of part of me is saying, he has played 4 games now and WOW what great talent let's get him in there. I think I will sit on the fence and be happy with either decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Folau is a try scoring machine, but all in easy situations. Basically catching a pass and strolling over the try line, and jumping up, catching it in mid air, and putting it down... Personally I haven't seen him make a decent line break or play yet...but his time will come! He turned 18 the other day, so still very early days! I look forward to watching him dominate rep footy in a few years time!!!

GO THE MAROONS!

Hey has also done a few try saving tackles too.

Old Diehard: I know the rule as it stands. But I strongly disagree with it. If you are born in one state and live there till you're 16, I cannot see how the other state can be called your State of "origin". It's even worse if it happens to be another country. I can understand more if a player is born in one state but moves to the other when they are very young (ala Peter Sterling). And right at this point in time, the silly rules in place are clearly benefitting one state over the other - Queensland. And I thought Queenslanders abhorred one state getting an unfair advantage - guess they only abhor it when it's them being disadvantaged.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

QLD Cup Titan

Nope! A silly rule could cost us more than NSW because as I said younsters from here are likely to move south to play in this NRL Colts/U20's comp.

Greg Inglis was spotted at age 14, billetted with a well known family associated with Rugby League up here, West Panthers actually as most of the family came from Paddington in Brisbane , (and were well known in the Indigenous community also).. As a result of this he doesn't comply under the current rules..
    as I said we stand to lose more simply due to the no. of team in NSW as it's more likely a kid will be required to move there in the future than we bring kids up here..

BUT kids born outside OZ - that's tough! As a stack of new talent learn in Rugby League here in OZ are Pacific Islanders (probably also qualifying for NZ also), it that case let them decide who they want to play for! Hazim El- Magic - not sure were he was born but hell he's a c!@kie!

And yeah didn't think of Peter Sterling because I always considered him a
    c!@ie anyway ( being born in Toowoomba doesn't make you a Queenslander! you have to feel for the place!) .Actually I think Greg Inglis does! Seems he liked his time at Wavell High School
    Like I am with Sydney!Couldn't never see myself as a local there even if you paid me!
    Sorry the word bleeped out was short for ****aroach.
    Last edited by Old Diehard; 09-04-07 at 08:46 PM.

Default id like to see israel in the side queensland needs big wingers

would youse honestly like to see matty bowen or wesser marking the likes of matt king and luke rooney on the flanks come on give the kid a chance if not now maybe in a year or two my two wingers this year would be chris walker n karmicheal hunt providing bowen is still in fine form
    Last edited by mr jemo; 11-04-07 at 04:52 PM.
    GO THE TITANS FOR 2007 AND BEYOND BABY!!!!!!!

Honestly, if I saw this kid picked in the QLD side this year, I would feel very annoyed and disappointed. I don't think he deserves it yet, no matter how well he has played/plays this season. There are blokes who have been playing for season after season striving for the spot that deserve it more, and to see it given to someone so young instead, would devalue the honour IMO. He will play eventually, probably will play alot of games, but not yet.

QLD Cup Titan

Israel Falou is still a kid - actually I was expecting him to play Qld Cup at Norths this year, so like David Taylor, don't rush him into playing against older hard heads at State of Origin level just yet! Give him a year or two! As for Queensland, we are currently blessed with more outside backs and full backs than you can poke a stick at! In fact where are you going to fit them all in to QLD side. All I can say is Greg Inglis (my first pick and then pick a possie for him), Carmichael Hunt, Matt Bowen, Billy the kid , and you know that bloke Walker from the Titans (may have had a touch of the mug lair awhile ago- but) [B]he's a goer![/B] Dead set glad I'm not a selector! Those damn cochroaches won't know what hit em... Only shame is I see O'Donnell & Webb are unavailable!
    So pick Kaufusi ( yeah I know he was born overseas!, but hell his family are in Bundeberg and he went to Nudgee College- that's Queensland enough for me!).. Hell I'm prepared to classify him as a Queenslander born and breed and buy him a beer at the Bagara Beach Hotel just to show it!
    Dallas Johnson works for me also in the forwards to replace the 2 cowboys!

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Old Diehard View Post
    Israel Falou is still a kid - actually I was expecting him to play Qld Cup at Norths this year, so like David Taylor, don't rush him into playing against older hard heads at State of Origin level just yet! Give him a year or two! As for Queensland, we are currently blessed with more outside backs and full backs than you can poke a stick at! In fact where are you going to fit them all in to QLD side. All I can say is Greg Inglis (my first pick and then pick a possie for him), Carmichael Hunt, Matt Bowen, Billy the kid , and you know that bloke Walker from the Titans (may have had a touch of the mug lair awhile ago- but) [B]he's a goer![/B] Dead set glad I'm not a selector! Those damn cochroaches won't know what hit em... Only shame is I see O'Donnell & Webb are unavailable!
    So pick Kaufusi ( yeah I know he was born overseas!, but hell his family are in Bundeberg and he went to Nudgee College- that's Queensland enough for me!).. Hell I'm prepared to classify him as a Queenslander born and breed and buy him a beer at the Bagara Beach Hotel just to show it!
    Dallas Johnson works for me also in the forwards to replace the 2 cowboys!
    That sums it up for me. Antonio kafusi has played for australia so he will play for queensland

O'Donnell is a blue.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Qld could pick 2 great SOO sides

eg: in no order

side 1:
    1 Hunt
    2 Falou
    3 Hodges
    4 Inglis
    5 Slater
    6 Lockyer
    7 Prince
    8 Petro
    9 Smith
    10 Carlaw
    11 Thorn
    12 Crocker
    13 Carroll

side 2:

1 Bowen
    2 Walker
    3 Tate
    4 Bell
    5 Wesser
    6 Thurston
    7 Cronk
    8 Kafusie
    9 Berrigan
    10 Price
    11 Thaiday
    12 Myles
    13 DallasJohnson

still leaving out guys like, Ross, Webb, Stagg, Rogers, Myers, Bowman, Hannay, Flannery, PJ Marsh, who all have played SOO

Things look good
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

QLD Cup Titan

Oops O'Donnell is a blue!~ Poor bugger! (still he lives in the right part of Auatralia).
    Lovely place to visit NSW but ya just wouldn't want to live there ( Northern Rivers excepted and I'ld be happy to see the border moved to cover that area- so would they according to my mate in South Lismore!). Lets hold a referendum!

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Qld could pick 2 great SOO sides

eg: in no order

side 1:
    1 Hunt
    2 Falou
    3 Hodges
    4 Inglis
    5 Slater
    6 Lockyer
    7 Prince
    8 Petro
    9 Smith
    10 Carlaw
    11 Thorn
    12 Crocker
    13 Carroll

side 2:

1 Bowen
    2 Walker
    3 Tate
    4 Bell
    5 Wesser
    6 Thurston
    7 Cronk
    8 Kafusie
    9 Berrigan
    10 Price
    11 Thaiday
    12 Myles
    13 DallasJohnson

still leaving out guys like, Ross, Webb, Stagg, Rogers, Myers, Bowman, Hannay, Flannery, PJ Marsh, who all have played SOO

Things look good
    Yeah I like your backs in side 1 and your forwards in side 2 except Petro should also be in that second pack---but you know the talent you listed is the strongest I've seen Qld in years...Also the fact that the Broncos are premiers, The Cowboys are top of the ladder, The Storm ( with their player list) are a defacto Qld side and now the Titans giving Queenslanders more opportunity , our State of Origin side is looking better than ever! Bet you the FOG'S are laughing! (except now I see Matty Bowen in side 2 backs- damn how you leave him out- WE ARE DEAD LUCKY!)