Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default QLD: Israel Falou in Origin discussion

Meninga-like Falou in Origin discussion

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 4:13 PM

Comparisons are already being made between strapping Melbourne Storm teenager Israel Folau and former Queensland and Australian rugby league legend Mal Meninga.

But Meninga - who still owns the record for the most Origin appearances with 32 - says the 17-year-old, already in Origin discussions after just two NRL games, is a far more awesome sight than he was when he started in senior ranks.

"He's stronger and bigger than me when I started out," said Meninga.

Queensland selector Gene Miles can see similarities between the 97kg Falou and a young Meninga.

"You could compare them, couldn't you, he's a raw-boned 17-year-old," said Miles, who partnered Meninga in the Maroons centres many times during his own 20 Origin appearances.

Of Tongan descent and born in Sydney, Folau has declared he wants to play Origin football for Queensland, following the path of his Storm teammate, Bowraville (NSW) born Greg Inglis, who made his interstate debut last year as a 19-year-old.

He played Under 16s and 19s for Queensland last year, the first player to do so in the same year since former Brisbane forward Allan Cann in the 1980s.

Both Meninga and Miles believe he'll play Origin and neither rules out the possibility he'll surpass Ben Ikin as the youngest player for either state.

"It's a bit like Greg (Inglis) last year," Meninga told AAP.

"If you're good enough you should come into calculations even at that age.

"He's a kid who can win a game in their air for you, both in attack and defensively.

"He just needs a bit more confidence about what he does because he's a big fellow.

"We've got a fair depth in our outside backs but his time will come."

While Inglis was only a teenager when picked last year, Meninga said he displayed a lot of self belief.

"If Israel can have the same sort of traits there's no reason why he can't get selected for Origin at his age," said Meninga.

Miles agreed Folau had all the physical attributes to be a blockbusting player.

"He just looks like an athlete," said Miles, renowned for running over rivals and his magnificent off-loading skills.

"Wing has obviously been a troubled position for us in the last few years.

"I've only seen Folau play two games but he looks a rare talent in the making.

"You know he's well coached and you know Craig Bellamy won't let him get carried away with his efforts."

Meninga allayed fears national team custodian Karmichael Hunt could jeopardise his Origin fullback jumper by playing halfback for the Broncos.

Queensland have an abundance of fullbacks with Hunt, Inglis, Billy Slater and Matt Bowen all candidates.

"There's no reason Karmichael can't play fullback even if he is playing halfback for Brisbane.

"As long as he is playing well and playing with a lot of confidence which you need under the high ball."

Meninga said Queensland had to pick its best 17 players first.

"Most players are very versatile these days," he said.

"Greg (Inglis) is a great example, you want him in your 17.

"But he's playing five-eighth for Melbourne, so does that mean you leave Darren Lockyer out?"

Source: AAP

I thought Origin was about allowing players to play for the state they come from. It seems Queensland don't mind bending this rule to suit themselves - again and again (Craig Smith, Adrian Lam, Tonie Carroll, Greg Inglis, Matt Rogers - and now Folau). It seems in order to qualify for Queensland "origin" one must have at least once in ones life have thought about travelling to Queensland.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Dragon View Post
    . It seems in order to qualify for Queensland "origin" one must have at least once in ones life have thought about travelling to Queensland.
    Haha, spot on.

One way to solve the controversy that goes on with rep football selection.
    Play for the place you were born.

I believe to be eligible for a state you have to have played your first football there or something.
    Technically Tony Puletua should be eligible for NSW. Sure, he was born in, and plays for, NZ. But his family moved when he was 2 or 3, played all his junior football out Penrith way.

I'm just sick of hearing someone is eligible for somewhere because his grandmother once met some guy who dated a girl who's uncle's dog's breeder had third cousin who married someone from the country.

Titan First Grade Regular

QLD should only go for Falou if their are injurys, imo.
    Don't risk it.
    [

Titan Club Captain

I thought Origin was about allowing players to play for the state they come from. It seems Queensland don't mind bending this rule to suit themselves - again and again (Craig Smith, Adrian Lam, Tonie Carroll, Greg Inglis, Matt Rogers - and now Folau). It seems in order to qualify for Queensland "origin" one must have at least once in ones life have thought about travelling to Queensland.

Jason
    Lol gold.
    Don't forget Brad Thorn.
    Hes been from League to Union and back again.
    He is just as bad as Tonie Carroll imo, playing for NZ in one sport, and for Australia in another.

Junior Titan

I think Israel is a good player but we already have a lot of players that are already established. Hunt should play fullback, Inglis should play centre or wing.
    My origin 17
    1. K. Hunt
    2. B. Tate
    3. G. Inglis
    4. J. Hodges
    5. M. Bowen
    6. D Lockyer (C)
    7. J Thurston
    8. A Kaufusi
    9. C. Smith
    10. P. Civonoceiva
    11.C. Webb
    12.B. Thorn
    13.T carroll

Interchange
    14. S. Berrigan
    15. M. Crocker
    16. M Scott
    17. D Johnson

Jason
    Its not just where they were born.
    You can have played your first football in one of the states to qualify for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer View Post
    I think Israel is a good player but we already have a lot of players that are already established. Hunt should play fullback, Inglis should play centre or wing.
    My origin 17
    1. K. Hunt
    2. B. Tate
    3. G. Inglis
    4. J. Hodges
    5. M. Bowen
    6. D Lockyer (C)
    7. J Thurston
    8. A Kaufusi
    9. C. Smith
    10. P. Civonoceiva
    11.C. Webb
    12.B. Thorn
    13.T carroll

Interchange
    14. S. Berrigan
    15. M. Crocker
    16. M Scott
    17. D Johnson
    Hunt hasnt been playing good enough football just yet to warrant a Qld spot.
    He will need to lift this week.

Folau is future representative, I would take not of the call from Billy Slater and plead for selectors to be patient with the 17 y.o. prodigy.

The backline selection is open and Folau is behind in the pecking order with ONLY three games to his name - let's keep that in mind.

Just as long as Hunt doesn't get into the team.

They need to lay off Folau and let him find his feet in the NRL first.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Just as long as Hunt doesn't get into the team.

They need to lay off Folau and let him find his feet in the NRL first.
    The incumbent Australian fullback would not make your team?

I thought he showed in his one game for QLD and six Tests that he was more than up to playing at the elite level.

If he is fit, I think he has the jump on Bowen, Slater and Wesser.

One of the best wingers at the moment if he continues this form put him in. Makes him available for the australian side at the end of the year aswell.

And which established first grader with Origin experience do you drop for the 17yr old with a dozen games under his belt?

Falou has shown A LOT of inexperience in his few games, but stuff that'll obviously come good with time, time which he can be afforded in first grade due to the show stopping back line he plays in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitohs-07 View Post
    One of the best wingers at the moment if he continues this form put him in. Makes him available for the australian side at the end of the year aswell.
    No aussie games at the end of the year...
    [

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan View Post
    The incumbent Australian fullback would not make your team?

I thought he showed in his one game for QLD and six Tests that he was more than up to playing at the elite level.

If he is fit, I think he has the jump on Bowen, Slater and Wesser.
    He defininitely has the jump on wesser but bowen and slater are in red hot form