View Poll Results: Should the Salary Cap be raised significantly?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes - give the players the money they deserve...

4 20.00%
  • Hell no - Pump the money into grass roots and development - it goes up slowly each year anyways!!

11 55.00%
  • Possibly - depend if the finances are up to it!!

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap..

Default Salary Cap..

Does it need to be looked at??

As MAson says he wants a raise for lower end players, are they entitled to that?

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Nah . Rugby League should spend a lot of money developing good talent

Titan Club Captain

Tbh, i'm sick of losing star after star after star each year.
    So yes!

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Why increase the salary cap, just means the top 25 from each club get more whilst the youngsters get the short end of the stick, money should be spent on imporving grounds(shiffty will vouch for brookvale) promoting clinics in rural parts of the country, organising carnivals for youngsters and improving the junior cups(eg queensland cup, premier league), i mean i would be stoked to be earning 20,000 a year playing rugby league, so why do players in the top 25 need more money, sure they have plenty of sponsers anyway.

Also if the stars want to leave, then let them, rugby league should be abou the passion and the love of the game, not millions of dollars, if a family of 4 can survive on 60,000 thousand a year, a bachelor footyplayer should be right on 50,000(which is the mimimum salary, from memory) and those with familys and Partners like Bailey, Pritchard, Geyey and Lockyer are generally well established in the game and finically(thus why they start a family) let alone the income they would get from their spouse.

I say share the money around theres plenty of it.
    Last edited by Hoppy2007Dragons; 27-03-07 at 04:45 PM.

Junior Titan

I think it will gradually go up and will be interesting to see how much by.

I think they need to raise the minimum to about 75000 for the top 25 players. I also think that each top 25 player should recieve some sort of standard salary from the NRL for playing in the NRL.

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy2007Dragons View Post
    Why increase the salary cap, just means the top 25 from each club get more whilst the youngsters get the short end of the stick, money should be spent on imporving grounds(shiffty will vouch for brookvale)
    FOR SURE!, Manly spend all their Money of playing themselves as teh Silver Tails from a rich area yet their Ground is only marginally better then West Belconnen tip. These dopes can't even afford to pay their POWER BILL!!!

promoting clinics in rural parts of the country, organising carnivals for youngsters and improving the junior cups(eg queensland cup, premier league), i mean i would be stoked to be earning 20,000 a year playing rugby league, so why do players in the top 25 need more money, sure they have plenty of sponsers anyway.
    Let's not forget this Tool Mason gets paid to be a 3rd Token Knob on the Footy show..

Also if the stars want to leave, then let them, rugby league should be abou the passion and the love of the game, not millions of dollars, if a family of 4 can survive on 60,000 thousand a year, a bachelor footyplayer should be right on 50,000(which is the mimimum salary, from memory) and those with familys and Partners like Bailey, Pritchard, Geyey and Lockyer are generally well established in the game and finically(thus why they start a family) let alone the income they would get from their spouse.
    For sure, but be prepared to hear this Bullsh!t argument about how "their career only last for 10 years so they need to make the most of it"
    Well hears an idea, look after your life after footy by doing some studying... Todd Carney is doing a Real Estate Course, Alan Tongue (I think) has some sort of mechanic qualification, a few more of the Raiders are qualified Horticulturist, William Zillman attends University of Canberra..

It's not like they don't have enough time to study something part time....

On the cap, Canberra could easily afford to pay a player 500 or 600k, we have 8 Leagues club backing us..But our club culture isn't like that, we love to nurture and develop our own superstars. Something needs to be done to encourage this. But many other NRL teams wouldn't have these resources, the comp is as even as it's ever been, lets not over inflate salaries, anyone remember what happened last time salaries went through the roof...

I think a great idea would be to have concessions for your players who played SG Ball (or equivalent for QLDERS)for their club.
    Last edited by Social Loafer; 27-03-07 at 08:21 PM.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

For sure, but be prepared to hear this Bullsh!t argument about how "their career only last for 10 years so they need to make the most of it"
    Well hears an idea, look after your life after footy by doing some studying... Todd Carney is doing a Real Estate Course, Alan Tongue (I think) has some sort of mechanic qualification, a few more of the Raiders are qualified Horticulturist, William Zillman attends University of Canberra
    Good points schifty, i'm sure i read somewhere a titans player does part time real estate, michael ennis is studying something at tafe.

I agree with you Schifty... I don't think the salary cap needs to increased, that creates no incentive for new young players to achieve...but clubs need to be given concessions for bringing up juniors.

When you see the talent that Canberra loses to big club and SL... clubs like St George-Illawarra losing talent by the bucketloads and then even look at somewhere like Penrith where they struggle to keep their talented juniors, and you know something is wrong.

I mean even at a big club like mine in the Bulldogs, you can see this issue.

We have lost the following players we brought up as juniors

- Johnathan Thurston
    - Braith Anasta
    - Nate Myles
    - Roy Asotasi
    - Daniel Irvine
    - Glenn Hall
    - Daniel Conn
    - Brett Olivier
    - Todd Polglase
    - Adam Peek

And that's off the top of my head, I know there are a lot more.... and I think it's unfair that clubs put that much effort into turning juniors into stars and then other clubs can just poach them when they become talented.

I think it's time clubs got given compensation for the nurturing work they do and also for players who have played for more than 10 seasons... as they should be rewarded for the great work they do, not made to pay due to the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy2007Dragons View Post
    Good points schifty, i'm sure i read somewhere a titans player does part time real estate, michael ennis is studying something at tafe.
    That is Brad Meyers i think he's studying Civil engineering.

I agree with Schifty & beleive the NRL should encourage life after footy & push the guys to take up some sort of career when their sporting life comes to an end, only a handfull of players will become coaches or be lucky enough to be picked up by fox or 9 for commentry.
    Compensation is a better alternative for loyalty.

Maybe something as simple as the clubs paying for training tafe/tech/uni for players to study during & after footy has finished which would not come under the salary cap.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 27-03-07 at 09:07 PM.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Here's an idea - how about the clubs and top players showing themselves to be unselfish for once and putting up a bit of cash to promote Rugby League internationally? We know we support the greatest game of all, why don't we have a fair dinkum crack (with a bit of patience and perseverance) at selling it to the rest of the world?

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

I think all monies should be spent in Queensland. On Queensland players and Queensland players only. Titans , Broncos, Cowboys. Bugger NSW. I would love to see a grand final with just Queensland teams. Maybe we will get a public holiday the next day also. And a sunday arvo grand final? I love living in Queensland because I see pigs fly all the time. Go Willie Mason. Lets do an american baseball stunt and wreck the game for everybody just to get extra pay.

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I think all monies should be spent in Queensland. On Queensland players and Queensland players only. Titans , Broncos, Cowboys. Bugger NSW. I would love to see a grand final with just Queensland teams. Maybe we will get a public holiday the next day also. And a sunday arvo grand final? I love living in Queensland because I see pigs fly all the time. Go Willie Mason. Lets do an american baseball stunt and wreck the game for everybody just to get extra pay.
    Canberra isn't part of NSW.

Agree 100% on Mason, he should p!ss off the the NFL or something.. That or join the circus.

Better invested in the grassroots...Yeah Hoppy pretty much said it already.

Increase the SOO and test payments though. If you have a look at the current payments (7k I think?), thats probaly less than what those players would get a week playing nrl (7000x24=168000). Doesnt take into account pre season training, but I think they should get considealbly more than what they would playing nrl. Should be increased to around 20 000/game.

i think the same as alot of others. 4 mill is more than enough for 25 players but i do think their should be big compensations on local juniors that have been brought through by a club and a discount on 1 major player