Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Souths Crowds?

Default Souths Crowds?

Im extremely interested to see how the crowds grow over the next few home games.

Their crowd on the weekend wasnt terribly flash 15k - though better than a lot of other clubs. Its just with the groundswell of support behind them when they were booted out, I thought more would go to see them win.

Visit many other forums and the Souths deidcated sections would be the most poorly supported and posted in of any of the NRL clubs.

Thoughts?

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

To put it simply, this turnaround in form should bring in the crowds. They are finally getting this right on the field so their fans should do the same off the field.

They have an 80,000 seat stadium going to waste...........

As Queenslander said, crowds will rise as the Bunnies win more games. It is a shame though in a way, where were these supporters when their team was getting beaten week after week?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    As Queenslander said, crowds will rise as the Bunnies win more games. It is a shame though in a way, where were these supporters when their team was getting beaten week after week?
    It is the same in any competition Steelers. The way society is today we have all been bred for the winning culture. When our teams win we all folllow. When our teams lose we all stay at home and bag the team on what went wrong. It is a sad state of affairs. Also having the games televised live dosn't help the situation either. Look at the games from years ago before live TV. The supporters were sitting on the roofs of buildings outside the grounds just to see their team play. The NRL will never see that kind of support. Reduce the coverage of live games and maybe the crowds will return. It won't happen because money talks and who cares about the fans. Well done channel 9 and foxtel you are going to turn all of the fans into couch potatoes.:angry: :angry:

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    It is the same in any competition Steelers. The way society is today we have all been bred for the winning culture. When our teams win we all folllow. When our teams lose we all stay at home and bag the team on what went wrong. It is a sad state of affairs. Also having the games televised live dosn't help the situation either. Look at the games from years ago before live TV. The supporters were sitting on the roofs of buildings outside the grounds just to see their team play. The NRL will never see that kind of support. Reduce the coverage of live games and maybe the crowds will return. It won't happen because money talks and who cares about the fans. Well done channel 9 and foxtel you are going to turn all of the fans into couch potatoes.:angry: :angry:
    Sad, but it's the truth.. Another factor effecting crowds is the fact that 6/8 games are played at night.. Now personally I love night matches, but it does probably keep some families away, especially in Canberra as some people would understandably not want to take their young kids to a 7:30 game in the middle of July.. If it's a choice between watching it in a nice warm room or a windy Canberra stadium most parents will choose the first choice, and for those dads who choose the second will probably risk a divorce to see the footy..

I agree it was not a great sight on TV seeing 3/4 of Telstra empty. Lets hope that with Souths winning more often and showing great football... the crowds will come as I reckon if Souths can fill that place, it will be a great site.

You will see the difference next weekend when the Dogs vs the Titans... lets hope we can fill the ground and give Telstra a crowd...

You are right Shifty. I went to the Raiders and Broncos game last year when I was down that way. 3.00pm kickoff and froze me butt off. I could not imagine taking the skid lids to a game in Canberra at that time of night. We would have had to stop at the Old Canberra Inn and warm up in front of the fire for a few hours before hand. LOL. Three days at -8below in a row in the mornings. Buuurrrrrrrrrr. Sorry but you can have that place and enjoy watching your footy at home or the pub. Thanks channel 9 and foxtel. To anyone else that is reading. Get out and watch the footy LIVE IN ACTION at your local ground. It's time to get the crowds back!!!!

QLD Cup Titan

South's crowds will continue to rise.Exciting times ahead for the rabbits.

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    You are right Shifty. I went to the Raiders and Broncos game last year when I was down that way. 3.00pm kickoff and froze me butt off. I could not imagine taking the skid lids to a game in Canberra at that time of night. We would have had to stop at the Old Canberra Inn and warm up in front of the fire for a few hours before hand. LOL. Three days at -8below in a row in the mornings. Buuurrrrrrrrrr. !
    Mate I remember that game it was a beautiful warm afternoon :P

As for -8, it is great, you can just keep your beers out on the lawn and they'll stay cold....

Going to games takes money. I generally get to 1, maybe 2 games a year. 2003 was the exception, as I went to the Broncos-Eels and Broncos-Dragons games in successive weeks (the Eels and Dragons both won by 1 point), as well as 6 Brisbane Lions games (St.Kilda, Geelong, Swans, Port Adelaide, Bulldogs, and semi vs Adelaide), 4 Rugby World cup matches (Scotland-USA, Fiji-USA, South Africa-Samoa, and New Zealand-Tonga), plus a Rugby Test between South Africa and Australia. I still don't know where I found the money to go to 13 matches.

The South Africa-Samoa world cup match included an idiot in a Samoan jersey who jumped the fence and tried to tackle the South African kicker as he was taking a conversion kick. Fortunately, all he succeeded in doing was knocking himself out. I also remember both teams gathered in a cricle and praying after the match finished. Don't see that too often at sports matches.

The South-Africa Australia test I remember for 2 reasons. First, the girl I was sweet on at the time sat about 10 rows in front of me, and I was the one who invited her to the game at the last minute. How ungrateful! I still whinge to her about it, as she is now my wife. Second, Phil Waugh running from about 25 meteres out to sack the South African fullback in-goal, right in front of where I was sitting. He'd be briiliant in league, hits hard and never stops running.

Probably the most memorable game was the New Zealand-Tonga match. You see, I, foolish boy, decided to get a Tongan flag painted on my face due to my loathing of the All-Blacks. The punchline: out of a 52,500 sellout crowd, about 52,495 were decked out in black (including my girlfried, now my wife). I don't think I've ever felt so small. But that match did include the most awesome thing I have ever experienced at a live sporting event: the Kiwis did their usual Haka, but about 10 seconds after they started it, the Tongans shot straight back with their own war dance. I have never heard a crowd go so nuts. It was absolutely deafening, I still get goose bumps thinking about it. Unfortunately, New Zealand won 91-7, but it was worth being there. I also discovered at that match that many Pacific Islanders actually support the All-Blacks ahead of their own national team. I guess you can understand why.

Anyhoo, back on the topic of this thread, my point from all of this is that nothing can beat actually being there. I have so many good memories from sporting matches I've been to, both on the field and in the stands, that it wouldn't matter if every single sporting event in this country was live on free to air, I'd still want to go. Obviously one has to pick and choose (I doubt I'll ever get to go to 13 - actually, make that 14, I went to a one dayer against Sri Lanka - matches in the one year) according to work, finances and other such things, and we'll never see crowds like the old days, but you still can't beat being there. Well, aside from paying 8.00 for a pie and coke.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

Titan One Clubman

Yep, that bloke who wrote that song "You were there" sums it up all. Forget his name, but he performed last year at Canberra Stadium when we farewelled our legends, song is so true,
    When the game was making legends,
    you were there.
    Dreaming hoping screaming,
    you were there.
    It?s been nearly a hundred years
    of grunt, sweat and tears,
    And when next week comes around
    you?ll still be there.

In years without a victory,
    you were there.
    Dreams torn apart by injury,
    you were there.
    But the pain of endless loss,
    can?t take away the gloss,
    of that single hard fought win
    when you were there.

CHORUS
    So go hard, dare to dream,
    you?re the heart of every team.
    When the fans are standing tall,
    it?s the greatest game of all.

At times the game just doesn?t seem quite fair.
    Just one bad call can send you home in despair.
    But when a team of underdogs,
    overcomes the odds,
    It leaves you in no doubt
    why you were there

CHORUS x2
    NA NA NANA NANA etc

As rookies turn to veterans,
    you?ll be there.
    With pride and hope and passion,
    you?ll be there.
    Through all the years of change,
    one thing stays the same,
    you?re the spirit of the game, so you?ll be there.

CHORUS x2
    What a champion

http://www.youwerethere.com.au/index-3.html

Souths are the best effing team alive.

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Souths'n'Titans View Post
    Souths are the best effing team alive.
    yeah.

not really though.
    [

I went to the parra game and the crowd looked healthy around the place. Not as many Parra supports that I thought would show up but with the way they are playing who would expect. 15k and what looked like 11k were souths fans. I mean there were more bulldog jerseys in the crowd then parra ones..

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink View Post

Visit many other forums and the Souths deidcated sections would be the most poorly supported and posted in of any of the NRL clubs.

Thoughts?
    Ever been to rabbitohs.com? rabbitohs.proboards48.com? Those forums have 10 times the number of active members then here. Rabbitohs.com consistently gets 500 members per day.

Nice arguement though, rabbitohs have the biggest forums, better luck next time