Default Australian in charge of GB v NZ

An injured to NZ referee, Glenn Black has forced him to withdraw from the game this weekend, he will be replaced by Superleague Based, Australian Referee Ashley Klein.

Klein officiated in the Superleague grand final and will also referee the Australian game against France.

Thats a good move, Klein is a much better referee then Glenn Black. I hope he does well.

Finally, a neutral referee! A good move and the right one has been made for the GB vs NZ game.

Is there no English Super League ref available to ref the Australia vs France game? Surely there is a Pommie ref keen for a game involving Australia.

DeeGan

I am of the firm belief that all refs should be neutral. Bugger if one particular country doesnt like it.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    I am of the firm belief that all refs should be neutral. Bugger if one particular country doesnt like it.

Exactly, I really have no concern if Australia come out saying they will not play under a particular ref, in short, they should have no choice.

As per what I wrote on League Freak's site last week:

I was gob smacked to say the least when I heard the IRL was going to allow last night?s test match go ahead with a New Zealand (NZ) ref controlling the game, why you ask? Well it seems Australia (led by Wayne Bennett and Geoff Carr) are refusing to play under NZ ref Glen Black. Give me a break, Australia should not be able to pick and choose who they play under! The IRL board needed to stand firm and simply remind Australia that they are not in control of the international game, they simply dominate it.
    DeeGan

They should tell Aus to play or leave. Of course they will play. If the ref then proves substandard interchange him or 'coach' him. How do we expect refs to get better at this level as well if they dont get experience.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Finally, a neutral referee! A good move and the right one has been made for the GB vs NZ game.

Is there no English Super League ref available to ref the Australia vs France game? Surely there is a Pommie ref keen for a game involving Australia.

DeeGan
    Ashley Klein is doing the Aus v France game aswell.

Yet Klein is still Australian.

There should be an english referree on offer for this test, Russell Smith?

DeeGan

Smith doesnt need to referee it, hes proven himself on the international stage.

Karl Kilpatrick (I think is his name) is one of the top refs over there aswell, and I dont think hes done an international, he should be given a go.