Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan View Post
    I have a bit to do tonight which will include celebrating history though hats off to the Cronulla Sharks and in particular Lance Thompson who must be close to an Origin birth.

This was a quality throw back football game with neither side giving too much.

Cronulla will compete for a top eight spot on the back of their last two games - no doubt in my mind. They have the makings of a very good football side.
    As the Sharks bloke here I applaud your modesty. Since you've brought it up I agree Thommo is going great guns. But so are a lot of 2nd rowers, Laffranchi (sp?) for one.

I think we've got a way to go to make the 8, but it is only round 2, so there is plenty of time. And we all know from the Cowboys and Broncos, the first 6 or so rounds mean NOTHING.

On ya DeeGan, congrats on the win and the modesty. Hopefully plenty more wins for both teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

No problems mate.

Ricky Stuart and his staff have already made an impression on your side, they will be a better team at the end of the year as opposed to round two.

If a 'benefit of the doubt' ruling goes your way, your two from two ...

You gotta' love this competition

Quote Originally Posted by titansroostersfan View Post
    20 sec to go

woo hoo titans win
    we got the game
    Music to my ears urm eyes....

I have never been this nervous over a game.

Helen

Junior Titan

Default Gold Coast win A Titan-ic Struggle

Hey everyone,

What a game!!

Here's my take on proceedings -

http://www.league.net.au/gold-coast-...anic-struggle/

Good on Preston for coming back after that monumnental error in the fist minute, and special mention to Scott Prince for showing the courage and spirit to play under less then an ideal preperation!!

Well done boys!

Parra Petty

Oh no doubt they'll have an impact. As most here probably know I have no ambitions of a premiership let alone a grand final berth for the Sharks. Just as long as they're competitive each week, you can't ask for much more. Ricky's hard line coaching style will wake some boys up that first grade ain't the walk in the park like most have had at Cronulla the last few years.

I called the try but, as much as I hated to do it, I believe it was a try. Lost control but regathered before it touched opposition or the ground. Had I been the video ref without my blue, black and white glasses, it would have been a flat out try, not even benefit of the doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Just got home from work, OMG our first NRL win, WOO HOO, I am so happy
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Ricky was quite gracious in his post match press conference. He didn't say much about the Sharks but went on to say how happy he was for John Cartwright.

It was a fantastic game to be at and an awesome feeling when we went in for that last try.

I think the team would be alot better off with Preston at 5/8 alongside Prince. We've got some other options for full back but Preston needs to be more involved to help out with kicking duties and organisation. He had a major stuff up to start the game but was flawless for the rest of the match including taking 2 sharp kicks on the fly. You would have thought it was a forward barrelling over for the last try.

Hopefully Bailey doesn't have any serious problems. Apparently he was having leg troubles. Maybe we're lucky he was going a bit slower and was behind the line when the kick was charged down. That could have been very dangerous.

Well done to all at the club. You've shown us that we've got a team to be pretty excited about this year.

From www.titans.com.au

Gold Coast Titans 18 – Cronulla 16
    Venue:
    Gold Coast Stadium
    Crowd: 17,946

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have scored a dramatic come from behind victory over the Cronulla Sharks with the diminutive Preston Campbell crossing over in the 74th minute to deliver the club’s first historic win.

Man of the match Scott Prince passed the ball inside to Campbell who appeared to have lost the ball from his grasp when tackled over the line by Brett Kearney. Video ref Tim Mander gave ‘benefit of the doubt’ to the Titans and Preston kicked the match winning conversion.

An exuberant Campbell said, "It's always a good feeling to be able to get your team home, everyone likes that sort of thing. But to be able to do it with the side I started with is even better."

Preston Campbell’s opening minute gaffe saw the Sharks hit to the lead after back rower Reece Williams scored his first of the night off a Luke Covell kick.

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans replied in the 17th minute with recalled winger Matt Petersen crossing over in the right hand corner. Petersen had come in to the side for the injured Chris Walker and was solid on debut.

Cronulla went in to half time with the lead after Fraser Anderson capitalized on a late half penalty awarded to the Sharks for an obstruction. The next set of six saw Josh Hannay turn Mat Rogers inside out drawing in Lelea Paea from his wing leaving Anderson unmarked to score.

Running in to a strong head wind in the second half, the Titans had it all to do after Reece Williams scored in the 50th minute of the match.

Fraser Anderson took the ball on his own thirty-metre line and beat four Titans defenders drawing Preston Campbell putting Williams away untouched. Covell converted, the Sharks led 16-6 with half hour to play.

Faced with a ten-point deficit, Scott Prince and Luke Bailey led from the front providing the leadership John Cartwright was looking for from his co-captains.

Replacement hooker Nathan Friend started the revival putting Michael Henderson through a hole in the 54th minutes. The young prop linked with his outside men and the played ended with Mat Rogers being pulled down fifteen metres out from the try line.

With the Sharks defensive line vulnerable, Scott Prince moved the ball right before coming back to the left with Matt Hilder putting the ball on the chest of Mark Minichiello who scored under the posts. Preston converted, with twenty-three minutes to play; the momentum had shifted to the Titans who trailed 16-12.

The Cronulla Sharks were their own worst enemy three times turning the ball over on the first tackle when winning the ball from the scrum.

Matt Hilder, once again impressive at five-eight, put through a clever kick in the 72nd minute and caught the Sharks in-goal with a good kick chase. The repeat set proved costly for Cronulla with Campbell scoring the match winner.

"I love him, he's just got to be in the side somewhere each week," Cartwright said of Campbell. "He's tough and he plays with his heart on his sleeve, there's nothing of him but he will run into the biggest guy on the field and what that does for the side psychologically, no one can quantify."

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans victory sees them placed ninth on the NRL table and they face a tough test away from home up in round three against the Canterbury Bulldogs who are yet to taste victory in 2007.

Gold Coast Titans 18 (Matt Petersen, Mark Minichiello, Preston Campbell Goals: Preston Campbell 3/3) def. Cronulla Sharks 16 (Reece Williams (2), Fraser Anderson Goals: Luke Covell 2/3)

MATCH SUMMARY

1m – Try – Reece Williams (0-4)
    3m – Conversion – Luke Covell (0-6)
    17m – Try – Matt Petersen (4-6)
    18m – Conversion – Preston Campbell (6-6)
    40m – Try – Fraser Anderson (6-10)
    50m – Try – Reece Williams (6-14)
    51m - Conversion – Luke Covell (6-16)
    56m – Try – Mark Minichiello (10-16)
    57m – Conversion – Preston Campbell (12-16)
    74m - Try – Preston Campbell (16-16)
    75m – Conversion – Preston Campbell (18-16)

Statistics

TACKLES

1. Anthony Laffranchi – 45
    2. Luke Bailey – 33
    3. Nathan Friend – 22

HIT UPS

1. Luke Bailey – 16
    2. Kris Kahler – 11
    3. Anthony Laffranchi – 11

METRES GAINED

1. Luke Bailey – 197
    2. Preston Campbell – 149