Titan One Clubman

Default Close-knit Raiders enjoy comforts of home without need for wooden spoon

Close-knit Raiders enjoy comforts of home without need for wooden spoon
    David Jean

Well the Sydney media are at it again, this time questioning the Canberra Raiders' future in the NRL.

Just two weeks after describing the Raiders as "up the creek without a paddle", the Sydney media yesterday quoted NRL boss David Gallop bad-mouthing the side's retention and recruitment policies.

Apparently no one wants to live in Canberra and when the Raiders do develop star players they don't want to hang around.

Many commentators have branded them a bunch of no-names who are a sure thing for the wooden spoon before a ball has even been kicked in anger.

Admittedly Canberra did lose plenty of experience after last season.

Clinton Schifcofske, Jason Smith, Adam Mogg, Simon Woolford and Jason Croker all moved on.

And there's no "big name" signings, the Raiders recruiting a handful of rugby league journeymen and the up-and-comer Neville Costigan to complement their talented juniors.

But if you look closely there's still plenty there to suggest the Raiders can succeed this season.

Maybe they won't win a premiership, but they can certainly stay clear of the bottom of the ladder.

Costigan is one such reason.

The Brisbane Broncos sacked the 21-year-old midway through last season and he is eager to re-establish himself in the league.

He has already made 45 NRL appearances and is widely regarded as a future State of Origin star.

So why did he sign with the Raiders if nobody wants to come to Canberra?

He had an offer on the table from last year's grand finalist the Melbourne Storm. Newcomers the Gold Coast Titans also tried to lure him to their beach-side retreat.

But Costigan rejected the lure of the beach and - against the advice of some close friends - chose Canberra.

Costigan admits he moved to the national capital with some trepidation, mostly because of the bad publicity surrounding the Canberra lifestyle.

But after five months he's loving it.

"It's laidback and that's what I was looking for - a place that's nice and quiet so I could settle down and focus on my footy," Costigan said.

"I got an offer from Melbourne but it's a bit too big and I just wanted somewhere small.

"When I signed everyone kept asking me 'why did you sign there? It's not a real good place to live'.

"But when I came here and stayed for a few months I realised it's not a bad place.

"People just come here to visit and say 'I wouldn't live here' but once you live here it's all right."

Another part of the move Costigan has enjoyed is the close nature of the club.

Most of the players live within walking distance of each other and spend a lot of time together.

"All the boys are real good. They all ring me up and ask me what I'm doing.

"They take me under their wing and show me around the place.

"I'm really happy with my decision to come down here."

That close relationship between the players is another thing that will boost the Raiders. It is a young side and they all want to play for each other.

Halves pairing Todd Carney and Michael Dobson have just moved into Carney's new Bruce home together. Not only will they train and play together, they will also eat and sleep under the same roof.

In contrast, the players at most of Sydney's clubs are spread out, meaning they hardly see each other outside of training and game days.

Raiders coach Neil Henry believes his team can use that to its advantage during tight games.

"We had the same thing when I was at the Cowboys with a lot of the players living close together," he said.

"When you're in Sydney you've got players at the same club ... they can be living all over the place and they probably don't have that opportunity to be together as much. We need to build on that and it puts us in good stead in some games."

Canberra's depth will also be a bonus this season. Henry has a host of prop and back-row options to choose from and the healthy competition has ensured the squad has trained hard over the off-season.

They might not have that big-name player but there is certainly an even spread of talent.

The Raiders have 20 players on their books that have represented Australia at junior level. Most of those have come through Canberra's development programs and several are poised for breakout seasons.

Plenty of reasons to expect some success from the Raiders this season.

david.jean@canberratimes.com.au

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/det...Rugby%20League
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Best article I've read in ages, love the last bolded bit, I was under the assumption the figure was around 15..

Also great to See Dobbo and Carney living together, those 2 will know each others game inside out by round 5.

Titan First Grade Regular

Carney and Dobbo were the best of friends before Dobbo went off to the ESL. looks like they still are. Great news.

I like Naught Neville, hes right - Canberra rocks.

20 Players that have represented Junior 'Roos? Thats amazing, i didnt know that. Wow, thats more than a full team.
    [

Would love to see the Raiders shove it right up the critics.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

The Raiders have 20 players on their books that have represented Australia at junior level. Most of those have come through Canberra's development programs
    Wow. That is a hefty figure! And a figure that needs to sprouted about more (now that I've placed my bets at good odds of course). It may change some ideas of just how bleek Canberra's future is. While fair enough, not all junior Kangaroos end up flourishing at higher levels, the majority do. So essentially, factoring in the duds and some movers on, in a couple years Canberra's current young fellas would be experianced leaders (Carney, Tounge etc.) surrounded by junior Kangaroos ready to continue their representative success. Then we flash back to 89-95, and Schifty's "A Green Canberra" dream will be on the money. Perhaps even the re-introduction of that horrid Raiders Milk! Not to mention the green will be easier to see cause it won't be clouded by Brumbies jerseys, they'll all be in Melbourne by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo