Default NRL: Cowboys: Thurston named captain

Thurston named captain of Cowboys

Thursday, March 8, 2007 - 2:46 PM

North Queensland have named halfback Johnathan Thurston as their new captain, with hooker Aaron Payne named vice-captain for the 2007 NRL season.

Thurston, 23, joined the Cowboys in 2005 and has since gone on to earn Queensland and Australian representative honours.

He won the Dally M Player of the Year medal in 2005, helping North Queensland to the NRL grand final.

Thurston replaces retired lock Travis Norton as club captain.

He was the logical choice to be named skipper at the club's season launch, with coach Graham Murray looking to build a team around the talented playmaker.

Payne, 24, is a local junior player who has been with the Cowboys since 2002.

Source: AAP

Good choice there, happy there wasn't a co-captain named, would rather just the 1 fella. Good Luck to Thurston!

GO THE MAROONS!

Default Thurston named captain of Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by NRL.COM.AU
    North Queensland have named halfback Johnathan Thurston as their new captain, with hooker Aaron Payne named vice-captain for the 2007 NRL season.

Thurston, 23, joined the Cowboys in 2005 and has since gone on to earn Queensland and Australian representative honours.

He won the Dally M Player of the Year medal in 2005, helping North Queensland to the NRL grand final.

Thurston replaces retired lock Travis Norton as club captain.

He was the logical choice to be named skipper at the club's season launch, with coach Graham Murray looking to build a team around the talented playmaker.

Payne, 24, is a local junior player who has been with the Cowboys since 2002.
    If he is as good a captain as he is a player, he will do a brilliant job. Good choice for captain I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Not my choice. I think they would have gone better with a group of leaders.
    :beer: :naughty:

Thurston is a grub.

Wish he stayed in Cantebury. The Qld win last year was tarnished having him in the team...

my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Throb
    Thurston is a grub.

Wish he stayed in Cantebury. The Qld win last year was tarnished having him in the team...

my .02
    What do you mean by he is a grub?
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.