Default Titans gain favor with the bookies

It seems without ever playing a single competition game the Titans have gained odds-on favouritism for their game against St George.

Not sure if that's a sign of respect for the Titans or a insinuation that the Dragons are a one-player team.

Sure Gasnier is a great player, but don't dismiss the rest of the team.

I'm all for gaining respect but really, on the back of two trial games.

A team like St George, with all its history and pride, would not like the prospect of being beaten by a maiden team. They sure as hell, don't need anymore motivation.

Gobsmacked - best description for my reaction, I think John Cartwright was the same.

How a team with no NRL premiership experience can start favourites in their first game is hillarious. Yes, shows a sign of respect for the club, though the two wins in the trials I believe are being weighted too much.

I think our boys will win, I will think that each weekend, though I have a tough time understanding their logic.

Go you Red nd Whites!!!

Cause we should be the under dogs!!

Whingers ;-)

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

I've had a bit of a think about the logic of making the Titans favourites by Sportsbet.

With bookies its all about limiting their potential losses.

There will likely be a bucket of money going on the Titans by the fans purely because it's their first season and trial form would suggest they have a good chance of success. If the Titans were given long-odds, Sportbet could loose a packet with a Titan win.

Favourtism for the Titans reduces the volume of impulse betting.

Even if Titans loose, the impact would be less with less Dragons placing bets.

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim
    I've had a bit of a think about the logic of making the Titans favourites by Sportsbet.

There will likely be a bucket of money going on the Titans by the fans purely because it's their first season and trial form would suggest they have a good chance of success. If the Titans were given long-odds, Sportbet could loose a packet with a Titan win.

Just a thought
    I think you might be on to something - I haven't thought about it that way. Nice post bigjim.

I find it funny how the bookies are labelling the Titans very strong favourites to win this game, yet they are also 2nd favourite for the spoon :|

Dragons will win as we are not favourite to win the GF.

What are the odds being given. I would've thought they would both be under $2 on the line with the Dragons getting a 1 1/2 start. The Dragons are traditionally slow starters and have just lost the player that they intended banking on. Surely the Titans with their star studded roster and excellent trial form deserve favouritism.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    I find it funny how the bookies are labelling the Titans very strong favourites to win this game, yet they are also 2nd favourite for the spoon :|
    That would mean Dragons are favorites for the spoon.... :!:

Very surprised to see Titans with better odds...I tipped them, and i do think they will win, but i seriously didn't think they would be favourites at the TAB against the Dragons!!! Hope it doesn't affect their performance being favourites and all...

Bigjim raises a very good point too...

Either way, will be an awesome match!!!

GO TITANS!!!!

GO THE MAROONS!

If you think of the Titans as a race horse with a top trainer & that horse had won it's past 2 trials very well & the horse he is racing against has looked average then the Titans should start favorites but that doesn't mean a thing on race day.

I agree with bigjim thoughts too, with the Titans coming into the comp with massive support there will be plenty of people(like me) who will put their money where there mouths are & take shorter odds on offer because we want them to win & the bookies are well aware of punters who will always punt with their hearts rather than their heads.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim

Just a thought
    bigjim has nailed it. The direction of the betting market and how much they stand to lose is the deciding factor when it comes to odds at the bookies, the actual probable outcome of the match has little to do with it. I'm almost certain trial form hardly even weighs into it.

I reckon the Titans can come away with this game though. Subject to checking out the line ups and any (touch wood, lets hope not) any injuries that might occur between now and about March 15, the Titans will be featuring in my multi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo