Junior Titan

Default Titans carve up sloppy Panthers

Titans carve up sloppy Panthers

Gold Coast Titans VS Penrith Panthers Trial Match (02/03/07)

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans dazzled their loyal home crowd with some entertaining attacking rugby league, recording a dominant 28-6 victory over a disappointing Penrith Panthers at Carrara Stadium tonight.

A healthy but patient pro-Titans crowd were on hand to witness the fledgling club record back to back trial victories, with reformed rugby league bad boy Chris Walker starring for the home side.

It was a dour and scrappy fist quarter, with no less than nine dropped balls frustrating the 13,457 strong crowd. Both teams appeared to struggle with the humid conditions for much of the first half, with both Coaches sure to work on their below average completion rates ahead of the premierships opening round in a fortnight.

Interchange hooker Preston Campbell awoke the restless crowd in the 28th minute, when he latched onto an intercept pass from Craig Gower, racing 65m downfield before being reeled in by Panthers fullback Rhys Wesser. But again, loose passing prevented the home team from scoring that illusive first try.

But the diminutive hooker made amends in the 33rd minute, when he pounced on a well weighted Scott Prince grubber kick, to ground the ball under the posts. Rejuvenated fullback Chris Walker slotted the extras to hand the home team a 6-0 advantage.

The Titans went further ahead just three minutes later, when a loose ball was toed ahead by Campbell, who linked up with a flying Walker in support. The colourful winger was able to outpace the Panthers cover defence to finish off a breathtaking 50 metre movement. Walker nailed the conversion from out wide, putting the home side 12-0 up at the break.

Dual international Matt Rogers got the crowd jumping just six minutes into the second half, after yet another Panthers loose pass, was toed in goal by Rogers, who touched down under the posts. Replacement centre Brett Delaney slotted the easy conversion, and the Titans were dominating at 18-0.

The Panthers hit back in the 61st minute after a glut of possession, with new signing Brett Firman pouncing on a deft Peter Wallace grubber. Wallace was able to land the conversion, but the Panthers were still struggling at 18-6.

It was the small men for the Titans that were carving the larger Panthers forwards to shreds, with some great ball movement by Matt Hilder and Chris Walker putting Titans co-captain Scott Prince over in the 67th minute. Chris Walker landed the simple conversion, and the Titans were on their way to recording just their second win in their short history.

Not to be outdone, fellow Titans co-captain Luke Bailey finished the scoring for the night, after some great blindside interplay between Walker and Lelea Paea put an impressive Bailey over in the corner. Walker was unable to convert from the sideline, but the Titans were home at 28-6.

Both teams enjoy next weekend off, with the Titans to meet the St George-Illawarra Dragons at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday the 18th of March, while Penrith will do battle with the Cronulla Sharks.

Gold Coast Titans 28 (Preston Campbell, Chris Walker, Matt Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey tries; Chris Walker 3, Brett Delaney goals)

Defeated

Penrith Panthers 6 (Brett Firman try; Peter Wallace goals)

At Carrara Stadium, Gold Coast

Referee ? Ben Cummins

Crowd ? 13,457

Penalties ? Titans 6-4

By Parra Petty

Nice work again Parra

Thanks on behalf of the forum mate.

Junior Titan

Was at the game dont think the panthers played to bad they had the better field position most of the game like last week against the eels which i was at aswell) the titans defence was very impressive all be it both the Eels and Panthers were limited in there attacks. So far the Titans have a great ability to put points on even without the majority share of the ball.
    Also Preston, Bailey and Walker had great games, Rogers proposed to his girl but was a little off on the field but got a great try in the 2nd half

I too didnt think the Panthers where that sloppy. There was only 1 mistake in the first 14 minutes of the match. And allthough there was a couple more in the second half of it, a lot of that comes down to the pressure being put on them though the defensive line moving up at that speed.

Frank had a good game for the pathers, and so did the other bald kiwi looking nugget, who was he?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Junior Titan

The stas for the first quarter read roughly 12 sets of six for Titans for 7 completions, and 9 sets of six for the panthers, with 5 completions - thats pretty scrappy in my book.

Hope you enjoyed the game, and bring on the Dragons!!

Parra Petty

Mate i dead set loved it.

I seen faces i havnt seen for years, seen football played well by a team from the little country town i was born in. And the girls, wow. Single guys need to heading to the footy this winter. :naughty: :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I thought the Panthers were a bit sloppy, too many dropped balls (unfortunately all too common for them), but played alright, considering both player and coaching changes.
    No excuse of course, with the Titans a whole new team.
    I thought the Panthers had good defence, though once they broke, it was game over. Titans also defended well, but although the Panthers had a lot of possession, they just didn't seem to know what to do with it.

It was a good game i was there with diehard u would have seen us under the scoreboard waving the big flag and we luckliy met a couple of fellow forum members was a good night had good atmosphere lets make sure we keep it that way

Quote Originally Posted by GOATUS
    It was a good game i was there with diehard u would have seen us under the scoreboard waving the big flag and we luckliy met a couple of fellow forum members was a good night had good atmosphere lets make sure we keep it that way
    Hey, we were up the other end and we could see that big flag waving. Thought it might be you guys. Top night! We just stood around on the hill soaking it up for 15 minutes after everyone else was leaving. A pretty good crowd, not just in size but in good cheer!

Junior Titan

Default fitness of Panthers

did anyone else notice that the Panthers seemed a bit unfit. Before they put Bailey down in the corner half the team was on the ground trying to suck it in... is it the attck of the Titans or the fitness of the Panthers???

GO TITANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A bit of both League Lover.

I think the Titans are a lot fitter than most side due to Johnstone... Billy will make any side fit....

The Panthers though haven't really gone through much training from what I have heard that involves fitness and agility... it's been a lot more ballwork and practicing combinations as Elliot looks to gel the side.... so yes I am thinking they may have been a bit underdone last night.

That takes no credit away from the Titans though, even with an unfit side, you have to be good enough to beat them, and GC were last night...

Junior Titan

oh ok fair enough... see the Titans have the same winning odds as the Knights???