Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I think it would be a terrible shame for fans but more particularly Lote to stay in union. Come back to league and enjoy yourself Lote, it's in your blood.

I still don't fully believe all the clubs are out of the race, I believe there is still some maneuvering going on.

It would hurt to see him in a Sharks jersey, Souths...I'd like that. But it hurts more to see him wear union jerseys.
    This was online at rugbyheaven.smh.com.au
    with this sort of money being offered he won't come back.

Tuqiri deal may keep him out of league

Rupert Guinness
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 Print this article
    Email to a friend

The Australian Rugby Union is considering offering Lote Tuqiri a five-year contract in a bid to prevent rugby league ever signing him.

It is understood Tuqiri's management is seeking an extended deal, which, if secured, would almost certainly lock the winger in until the end of his career.

When contacted by the Herald yesterday, the ARU would not comment on the possibility of a five-year deal or negotiations, other than ARU high-performance director Pat Wilson saying: "We are hoping to have final discussions with his representatives in the coming weeks and to bring this to a conclusion."

Tuqiri's business adviser, Les Ross, who is negotiating with the ARU on the NSW winger's behalf, did not return calls yesterday.

But the ARU - having reportedly valued Tuqiri at almost $800,000 a year with $150,000 from the Waratahs, $500,000 from an ARU top-up and $130,000 in match payments - is now thought to be considering three contract options. That is despite the initially strong interest in the 27-year-old from up to six NRL clubs apparently waning due to the fact they cannot match the money.

advertisement - story continues below

After Brisbane and the Gold Coast announced they would pull out of the race, the two NRL clubs left are Cronulla and South Sydney.

The touted ARU option to fend off their raid with a five-year deal from 2008 to 2012 would leave the fight for Tuqiri's signature between the Waratahs and Reds. It would also take him beyond the 2011 World Cup to probable retirement at 33.

The two other options the ARU could put to Tuqiri are:

- a four-year deal starting from next year to the 2011 World Cup;

- a five-year deal that includes an upgrade on this year - the final year on his current contract - also taking him to the 2011 World Cup.

But of the three options, a five-year deal starting in 2008 would be the biggest risk, and not just because it would blow the $3.2 million budgeted for four years. Most players struggle to back up after a World Cup year, let alone when they would be in the last season of a playing career - as Tuqiri probably would be. However, a five-year deal including a topped up final year of his current deal would be viable, as it would also offer a World Cup send-off to his career.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's never been about the money

so long as he gets $600,000, more than Lockyer, some would suggest the best player in the world gets.

Nah, it's never been about the money.

Reality check.

Whom among us, could honestly say, they would take a pay cut of $300,000+ /year. Anything over 3 years is a loss of over one million dollars.

Honestly, he will not be back anytime soon.

Only the Broncos could lure him back, maybe in a couple years.

Although, you never know, he might be offered a lucrative contract by St Helens.

I'd make the decision to take a pay cut off an already substantial pay packet to play the game I love. It would be well worth not having the regret in my retirement years.

Life is about living not stacking Gs.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I'd make the decision to take a pay cut off an already substantial pay packet to play the game I love. It would be well worth not having the regret in my retirement years.

Life is about living not stacking Gs.
    You wouldn't have left in the first place though lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    You wouldn't have left in the first place though lol
    Yea good point that! Hahaha.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default im stoked we didnt go after tuqiri

it was pretty apparent he is not to genuine about returning to league hes not a real man like matty rogers doing it for the love of the game not the cash
    GO THE TITANS FOR 2007 AND BEYOND BABY!!!!!!!

Junior Titan

Does he think he is wearing number 6 or 7 for the price he is asking, I would bet on him staying with rugby as he can't afford to drop 500,000 a year. The Maximum you would pay a winger would be 300,000 and that is pushing it. Plus 50,000 outside payments..

He should be wearing a balaclava as he is trying to rob the NRL teams

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Unfortunately south sydney seem hell bent on throwing any amount of money to buy success just like their neighbours,the roosters

Junior Titan

Well if you got the money to throw at him why not, his apparent frustration at the end of the Tahs vs. force game could be a sign he really isnt happy playing rugby. Seems he wants to have his cake and eat it too. If the rugby season continues to go this bad then I would put money on him taking a pay cut and just saying f%$k it. There is a huge try drought in Australian rugby at the moment and Lote hardly gets the ball, all this is adding up.
    At the end of the day Lote is the type of player that can demand that sort of money (in either code) and there will always be someone willing to pay the asking price.

PEACE

Titan Club Captain

If Lote is true in what he says how he wants to go back to league, he'll sign with the sharks!! Because if he stays in Union, and we all know hes unhappy, and hes having a cry cos his teams suck and hes not good enough to score a try in 6 months, but IMO if he stays in Union, it has to be for the money!

I don't want him in Union or League, he acts like a little kid when he doesnt have his way, IE: last night!!!