Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior

Default Titans Pull Out of Tuqiri Race

Heard on news, Cant find Link!

We dont need him.
    Would love to have him, but i dont want to spend that cash on a winger.

Hope he comes back to RL, he is wasted in that yawnion
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

So that leaves Souths and Cronulla?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    So that leaves Souths and Cronulla?
    Yep. And I'm a bit like Coaster, while I'd love to have a bloke like Tuqiri in Sharks colours, no winger/centre/fullback is worth near on a quarter of the salary cap. Go for it Souths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Default Titans withdraw from Tuqiri race

Titans withdraw from Tuqiri race
    February 28, 2007
    Adam McBride

The Gold Coast Titans have this afternoon officially withdrawn from the race to gain the services of dual international Lote Tuqiri.

Tuqiri, who played for the Brisbane Broncos before switching codes in 2002, has put up his hand with a bidding contest being staged for his services beyond 2007.

While many NRL clubs have approached and tabled offers none it appears have been tempting enough to sway the former Kangaroo and currently Wallaby squad member back to Rugby League.

Titans Managing Director Michael Searle today advised that after informal discussions with Tuqiri?s business mentor Les Ross the club would not be making any formal offers for the versatile defender.

?Lote is an exciting player and great athlete but more importantly he is a thorough professional and a genuinely nice fellow, however our focus as a club is on ensuring that we are able to retain and nurture the many young talented players who have been identified across our catchment areas,? said Searle.

Salary Cap restrictions and a focus on developing the local junior base helped to assist in the decision. The Titans go into season 2007 with a formidable line-up boasting star recruits such as Luke Bailey, Scott Prince and Mat Rogers just to name a few.

?We have made a commitment to the community to invest in and develop the region?s junior talent, and unfortunately securing Lote?s signature could have restricted our ability to provide NRL pathways for our youth,? Searle added.

Meanwhile, the Titans have included journeyman Chris Walker at fullback for this Friday night?s trial match against the Penrith Panthers at Carrara Stadium (kick-off 7:30pm QLD time).

Walker is also poised to sign a one-year incentive based deal with club officials and Walker?s management set to put pen to paper early next week.

The Titans go in their final match before the season opener with a strong line-up despite Brad Meyers and Mark Minichiello being ruled out with niggling injuries.
    Source: sportsaustralia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Come on sharks,sign him...anyone but souths!

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    Come on sharks,sign him...anyone but souths!
    Souths are awesome, and you know it, boy!

Anyone but Roosters.

QLD Cup Titan

Smart move by Titans,he would have been too expensive.

Titan Club Captain

Lo he has SOOOOOOOOO many options.

Its either stay in Union, with the Reds or Tahs *happy happy joy joy*

or go back to league and play for the Sharks or Souths.

Souths have to be an inch close of going over the salary cap!

I agree Kim.... and they want to go after SBW.. I reckon your first team to audit for the salary cap is right there..

Good option by the Titans, no player is worth a larger amount than the rest... and Tuqiri will come to a new club for the challenge and a chance to play football. If he wants money no NRL club will get him.. Union offers too much... but yes good option IMO...

:happy: I never thought the non-signing of a dual international would be a good thing!

Asking price is far too high...higher indeed than what Lockyer or Johns would earn (who would you prefer in your team?... :hmm: ...)

In saying that i would like to see him back in the nrl...sign him up souths!

I think it would be a terrible shame for fans but more particularly Lote to stay in union. Come back to league and enjoy yourself Lote, it's in your blood.

I still don't fully believe all the clubs are out of the race, I believe there is still some maneuvering going on.

It would hurt to see him in a Sharks jersey, Souths...I'd like that. But it hurts more to see him wear union jerseys.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I think it would be a terrible shame for fans but more particularly Lote to stay in union.
    Agreed but he's fairly unlikely to leave unless the asking price drops dramatically. Surely no club would place that much of their salary cap (600K?) on a winger
    Last edited by jake86; 28-02-07 at 11:05 PM.

Titan First Grade Regular

Well i keep hearing rumours that he will sign for Manly, considering he lives in the Northern Beaches of Sydney, we'll see wont we in about 2 weeks.cya. :!:

Quote Originally Posted by jake86
    Agreed but he's fairly unlikely to leave unless the asking price drops dramatically. Surely no club would place that much of their salary cap (600K?) on a winger
    I couldn't agree more with the comments about a winger being paid that much although he would likely come back to league as a centre. People seem to think centres are worth that sort of money (Gasnier??). I would prefer to see the Titans go after O'Mealey or another good prop to support Bull Bailey and use the excess money left over to bring on the next generation.