Default Walker Strolls Into Titans Deal

Walker strolls into Titans deal

By Karl deKroo
    February 27, 2007
    FORMER State of Origin bad boy Chris Walker is just days away from signing a one-year, incentive-based contract with Gold Coast Titans.

The reformed flyer has been so impressive in the Titans' first two trial outings he has not only earned a contract, he is also set to leapfrog several high-profile teammates to seal a starting spot for Friday night's round one dress rehearsal against Penrith at Carrara Oval.

In a stunning reversal of fortunes, Walker, who landed three goals from as many attempts in the Titans' historic first victory against Parramatta in Lismore, could also emerge as coach John Cartwright's first-choice kicker in the fledgling club's inaugural season.

"We believe Chris has done enough to show us he deserves this chance," Titans chief executive Michael Searle said last night.

"He's done nothing wrong the whole time he's been training with us and his trial form has been excellent.

"He has been a revelation to be honest, and once we get through the weekend it will be a mere formality to get the paperwork done. It is safe to say Chris will be a Titan in 2007."

After starting his career in Brisbane and following stints with South Sydney and Sydney Roosters, Walker's career looked finished when he walked out on Melbourne midway through last season, citing personal problems.

But since returning home to Queensland, Walker, 27 today, has thrived.

He is back living with his family, has a new love interest and has placed himself on a booze ban.

When contacted last night, Walker declined to comment, saying he wished to purely focus on rebuilding his career.

Cartwright said the electric speedster, who scored the Titans' first try and first goal in the club's opening trial against Melbourne at Coffs Harbour, was ready to finally make good on the potential which saw him play six Origin games for Queensland in 2001-2002.

"He is looking after himself and he is behaving like a professional footballer," Cartwright said.

"He probably wishes he had done it 10 years ago, but it's not too late for him."

Searle said if Walker performed as expected, the Titans were likely to table an upgraded long-term deal mid-year.

The Titans confirmed they are still interested in rugby union star Lote Tuqiri, but will not break the bank to sign the high-profile Wallaby.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

yeh gw walker
    he deserves it
    hope he dont blow it

It's great to hear he's sorting himself out.
    With his family and plenty of good role models in the team around him, it could be his year to shine.

Nice work Chris, I'm sure you'll have a great and end up with a 2-3 year deal offered. Gees we have lots of goal kickers at the Titans.

He deserves another chance & i've seen him play both games so i think he should be one of the 1st players picked in a 17 man squad.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titan One Clubman

Is it just me or does Sydney make people go stupid?

Hodges
    Walker
    Finch
    Gould....

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty

Hodges
    Walker
    Finch
    Gould....
    :lol!:

Junior Titan

Maybe he shouldnt have gotten himself a girlfriend until the end of the season, he has placed himself on a booze ban so if things fall through or get a little rocky with the Mrs then it all over. For his sake I hope not but you never know.

PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty

Hodges
    Walker
    Finch
    Gould....
    Finch is from Newcastle, he already had issues ...

Gould is a Sydney through and through in terms of living there ...

Walker and Hodges - you might have a case

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Walker and Hodges - you might have a case
    Indeed, Hodges played very badly with the Roosters and since returning to the Broncos as become one of the the centres/wings/full backs in the NRL.

As for Walker, what a pick up for the Titans. I have always thought he was a great player. He just needed to grow up a bit and it seems he has with the Titans .
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by 6one9
    Maybe he shouldnt have gotten himself a girlfriend until the end of the season, he has placed himself on a booze ban so if things fall through or get a little rocky with the Mrs then it all over. For his sake I hope not but you never know.

PEACE

We saw his girl last night at the game.... very hot - much nicer than whatserface from home and away. Very supportive of the boys as well.

Chris is going to have a great year