Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Charity Shield 2007: Dragons vs Rabbitohs

Charity Shield 2007

ST GEORGE - ILLAWARRA DRAGONS v SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS
    Telstra Stadium; Saturday 3 March, 8.00pm

Referee: Shayne Hayne

Team Notes:

Dragons
    Mark Gasnier is set to play the full match at five-eighth for St George Illawarra in next weekend's Charity Shield after missing Saturday night's 26-16 loss to the Bulldogs with the flu.
    Rabbitohs
    Cronulla defeated South Sydney 22-4 in last Saturday night's NRL trial at Gosford

South Sydney will field all seven of its internationals as it seeks a third consecutive victory in the annual Charity Shield rugby league match against St George Illawarra at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night.

Teams:

DRAGONS:

1. Josh Morris
    2. Luke MacDougall
    3. Wes Naiqama
    4. Matt Cooper
    5. Chase Stanley
    6. Mark Gasnier
    7. Ben Hornby
    8. Chris Houston
    9. Simon Woolford
    10. Dan Hunt
    11. Ashton Sims
    12. Beau Scott
    13. Ben Creagh
    Interchange:
    14. Adam Peek
    15. Danny Wicks
    16. Corey Payne
    18. Lagi Setu
    19. Ben Ellis
    20. Charlie Leaeno
    21. Ricky Thorby
    RABBITOHS:
    David Peachey
    Paul Mellor
    Nigel Vagana
    Shannon Hegarty
    Reece Simmonds
    John Sutton
    Joe Williams
    Peter Cusack
    Stuart Webb
    Roy Asotasi
    David Kidwell
    Luke Stuart
    David Faalogo
    Interchange:
    Daniel Irvine
    Dean Widders
    Scott Geddes
    Manase Manuokafoa
    Joe Galuvao
    Jaiman Lowe
    Shane Rigon
    Jeremy Smith
    Germaine Paulson
    Fetuli Talanoa.

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information***
    Last edited by Queenslander; 02-03-07 at 08:51 AM.

I will finally get to watch a Charity Shield game this year, thank god for Austar! Should be a good game, although I am disappointed in the jerseys we will be wearing (refer to jerseys thread to see what I mean!)

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    ST GEORGE DRAGONS
    Tsk tsk Queenslander, can anyone else see what is wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    I will finally get to watch a Charity Shield game this year, thank god for Austar! Should be a good game, although I am disappointed in the jerseys we will be wearing (refer to jerseys thread to see what I mean!)

nope nothing wrong from my end

and its always a great game as i love seeing the combo f my fav players and our stars of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    :!: I totally forgot that, it must have been because I was looking at the Dragons Charity Shield Jersey found here and forgot that they actually represent more than St George

Gasnier in pivotal role for Charity

Brad Walter

February 26, 2007

MARK Gasnier is set to play the full match at five-eighth for St George Illawarra in next weekend's Charity Shield after missing Saturday night's 26-16 loss to the Bulldogs with the flu. Gasnier, who was due to play 40 minutes in the WIN Stadium clash, was one of five Dragons players to withdraw on the day - denying coach Nathan Brown the chance of seeing him play in his new position.

A disappointed Brown said the main thing he had hoped to get out of the trial was Gasnier and new halfback Ben Hornby starting to develop their scrumbase combination after the Test pair both switched positions during the off-season.

"Ideally, I would have liked to have seen him play," Brown said. "It would have just been good to have had a look at him, but there's not much you can do about it.

"Matty Cooper and a few blokes missed training early in the week and then Beau Scott was real crook on Friday. Then in the morning [on Saturday] I got a call about Ben Ellis, Tony Caine was crook and at 3.30pm the doc rang and said, 'We've got another one. Gaz is crook'.

"Out of all of them obviously I would have liked Gaz to have played ? but he'll have a good hit-out next week, he'll probably play the whole game next week."

Aside from Gasnier, Brown said there would be up to eight new faces from Saturday night's side, headed by former Souths winger Luke MacDougall. However, Jason Ryles (wrist), Justin Poore (suspended), Dean Young (knee) and Mathew Head (knee) are unavailable.

"Heady's knee is way better than it was at this stage last year," Brown said. "He's probably going to come out of rehab next week and then he'll have a good six weeks training before he comes back and plays. He's going to be fine, by all reports."

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Good news on heady. I forgot Poore was suspended( question do trial games coutn towards his suspension)

I hope gas plays the full 80 mins, as i will hopefulyl be watching this on fox or austar.

ill be at this game as all my m8s go for the dragons
    shall be good cant wait
    the one game they talk about all year is this one n the pub crawl we do after aahah

Should be good, I love the Charity Shield. Hope the Bunnies go well.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Souths field big guns for Charity Shield

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:07 AM

South Sydney will field all seven of its internationals as it seeks a third consecutive victory in the annual Charity Shield rugby league match against St George Illawarra at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night.

Co-captain David Kidwell and fellow Test players Roy Asotasi, Nigel Vagana, David Faalogo, Joe Galuvao, David Peachey and Shannon Hegarty were all named in new coach Jason Taylor's team on Wednesday as the Rabbitohs look to bounce back from last weekend's trail game defeat by Cronulla.

"I'm looking forward to seeing our Kiwi contingent playing together, and also assessing how our combinations are developing," said Taylor.

Co-captain Peter Cusack said there would be no holding back in the team's final hitout before the NRL competition starts.

"This will be my third Charity Shield and out of any trial match I have played this is the one that is most like a proper premiership match in terms of intensity and the physical side of the game," said Cusack.

"We'll be out there giving it everything we've got, not only to win the game, but to prepare ourselves for the season that's just around the corner."

South Sydney: David Peachey, Paul Mellor, Nigel Vagana, Shannon Hegarty, Reece Simmonds, John Sutton, Joe Williams, Peter Cusack, Stuart Webb, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Luke Stuart, David Faalogo. Interchange: Daniel Irvine, Dean Widders, Scott Geddes, Manase Manuokafoa, Joe Galuvao, Jaiman Lowe, Shane Rigon, Jeremy Smith, Germaine Paulson, Fetuli Talanoa.

Source: AAP

The bunnies have a pretty good team this year, fingers crossed they can do something with it!

Titan Club Captain

arg!

seeing roy's name in a south sydney lineup is just plain wrong!

I'll be watching this match with great interest, not only because I like the Bunnies, but because I am interested to see how the Dragons form is...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

So will we have the same as last year,with souths winning then declaring themselves certainties to win the grand final? :noidea:

me n my m8s going to this one
    going to be BIG
    starting at mortdale pub at around 10ish 11ish, then my m8s are heading in to the game
    i am staying to play touch at 3, while i wait for other ppl to get home from work, so i be pissed for that ahah
    go in watch gay, goto that gay n leso parade head bak to mortdale for 1 or 2, then peaky hotel, then a bar on a golf co****, then st George leagues when that close's, then when st George league close's golf co**** bar is open again
    BIG FKN DAY