Titan One Clubman

Default Bookie: Raiders 2007 lineup "worst in history"+ $8,000 on Titans for spoon.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article...04_sports.html

$8000 on Coast to end up with wooden spoon

THEY'VE only played one trial match but an anonymous punter has already made up his mind about the Titans -- waging $8000 on the Gold Coast to finish last this season.

The NSW-based punter stands to collect $36,000 from Tweed based bookmaker Lloyd Merlehan if the Titans finish with the dreaded wooden spoon in their inaugural season.

Merlehan revealed the bet, at odds of $4.50, was taken on Sunday -- a day after a Titans side, made up of mainly Queensland Cup players, was defeated 32-6 by a star-studded Melbourne line-up in Coffs Harbour.

While the result was widely viewed as an encouraging sign for the Titans, who are yet to unleash their big name players, the punter thought differently and opted to strike before the Gold Coast have even played a competition fixture.

"He's certainly a professional punter and quite astute at what he does," said Merlehan of the anonymous punter.

"He obviously wasn't overly impressed with the trial at Coffs Harbour even though they (Titans) played many reserve graders and its certainly not their top team."

Merlehan said he was content to take the bet because of concerns surrounding the Titans' lack of depth along with a belief that Canberra had a mortgage on the wooden spoon.

The Raiders, to be coached by rookie Neil Henry this season, are hot favourites to finish last after being weakened by the loss of a host of senior players including Clinton Schifcofske, Jason Croker and Simon Woolford.

"Canberra are absolute morals to win the wooden spoon," said Merlehan.

"Their team has been absolutely decimated. They've certainly lost over 1000 games in experience.

"They've got an inexperienced coach and their line-up in my opinion is the worst line-up in history since I've been watching rugby league."

The bet comes just days after Merlehan's Topsport betting agency took a huge $200,000 wager by another NSW-based punter on the Storm to win the NRL title.

In one of the biggest betting plunges witnessed on the Coast, the punter will collect $1.1 million if the Storm are successful.

However, in a bid to offset both bets, Merlehan has pledged to offer Titans supporters better odds than the $26 currently framed for the club to claim an historic premiership.

"Any of the Titans supporters who want to back them over the next week we'll roll the odds out to $31," he said. "They can back them for any amount of money they like."

Perennial cellar dwellers South Sydney are third in wooden spoon betting at $6.50.

Despite collecting three of the last four wooden spoons, bookmakers are keeping the Rabbitohs safe following the recruitment of high profile players Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs), David Kidwell (Storm), Dean Widders (Eels) and Nigel Vagana (Sharks).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

When will stupid people shut up? First the Barge ass Darryl Brohman , then the dope Phil Gould, now this clown? What is most annoying about these people is that they make ridiculous uniformed opinions...

Worst roster in History.. If anything our roster is stronger, the only losses I consider significant is that of Schifcofske, the rest were past their best so we have in fact strengthened So the fact we have over 10 playes who repersented the Junior Kangaroos count for nothing? The fact we have a VERY soid Forward pack means nothing? The Fact Carney will play Country Origin Means Nothing? The fact our Halfback saved Wigan (and Trent Barrets contract) means nothing?
    Let's not forget that we have the BEST Young talent in the NRL, have a look at these players who are UNDER 23 Years old

Bronx Goodwin, Adrian Purtell, William Zillman, Terry Campese, Todd Carney, Michael Dobson, Michael Weyman, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Dane Tilse, Thom Learloyd- Lahrs,Neville Costigan, Trevor Thurling. Then throw in players who have plenty of years left in them like Phil Graham, David Howell, Lincoln Withers, Troy Thompson and Alan Tongue and you have a side which will start to really dominate the competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS JUST FIRES UP THE PLAYERS AND FANS SO MUCH MORE.

##### THE MEDIA.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 21-02-07 at 07:52 PM.

:dead: I wouldn't listen to these "experts" Schifty.

I put $50 bucks on this guy losing his money, most will say that he has already lost his marbles.

Titan First Grade Regular

This guys stupid.
    I hate these peeps who pretend there experts, yet no nothing about League.
    [

I made a $50 dollar bet with a Broncos supporter, he believes the titans will end up second last, any other position i win the cash.

A fool and his money are soon parted
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

i do remember in 03 no one had herd of Wesser, Lewis, Rooney, Waterhouse, Clinton and Ross and they went ok, i do think the Raiders will be in the bottem 3 or 4, but in a year or 2 ? it might be the top 3 or 4, so Schifty just sit back and enjoy all the young guys getting all thar experience with a eye on 08, 09.

haha Schifty is gonna have a stroke before the season kicks off if much more of these articles get around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Ale Panther
    i do remember in 03 no one had herd of Wesser, Lewis, Rooney, Waterhouse, Clinton and Ross and they went ok, i do think the Raiders will be in the bottem 3 or 4, but in a year or 2 ? it might be the top 3 or 4, so Schifty just sit back and enjoy all the young guys getting all thar experience with a eye on 08, 09.
    if you cast your mind back to that year, Phil "I know everything" Gould tipped the Panthers for the spoon and the Raiders for second last, he tipped us for last again in 06... THe bloke is a fool...

p.s- No need to worry about me Capital_Shark, the booze helps keep me calm

Titan One Clubman

Anyway in response to all these clowns disragarding us, (including Darryl Brohman) deeman82 at the gh made this.

It's my new wallpaper

Junior Titan

Worst lineup in history?

What a joke, i've told my friends that I would expect them to be in the Top 4-6.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

I'll be putting money on them to make the 8. Dark horse.