Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Trial: Gold Coast Titans vs Parramatta Eels

GOLD COAST TITANS vs PARRAMATTA EELS
    Oakes Oval, Lismore; Saturday 24th Feburary 2007, 7:30pm

Referee: TBA

Team Notes:

Titans
    The Titans are expected to name a full strength side after losing to the Melbourne Storm 32-6

Michael Hodgson, Nathan Friend, Daniel Conn and Richie Mathers were all unavailable for selection due to injury and illness with Richie Mathers falling ill with a chest infection and returning to the Gold Coast a day after making his debut for the Jetstar Titans in Coffs Harbour.
    Eels
    New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad to take on Gold Coast in an NRL trial in the northern NSW town of Lismore on Saturday night.

An under-strength Paramatta defeated Cronulla 36-14 in Parkes on the weekend while the Titans, dominated by rookies and NRL journeymen, lost 32-6 to last year's grand finalist Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch will play five-eighth for the Eels, partnering Tim Smith in the halves.

Australian and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu have been rested for the trial.

Squads:

TITANS:
    (1) Preston Campbell
    (2) Lelea Paea
    (3) Mat Rogers
    (4) Brett Delaney
    (5) Jake Webster
    (6) Matt Hilder
    (7) Scott Prince
    (8) Luke Bailey
    (9) Clint Amos
    (10) Brad Meyers
    (11) Anthony Laffranchi
    (12) Gavin Cooper
    (13) Luke Swain
    Interchange:
    (14) Michael Henderson
    (15) Kris Kahler
    (16) Mark Minichiello
    (17) Luke Odwyer
    (18) Isaac Kauffman
    (19) Nathaniel Barnes
    (20) Josh Graham
    (21) Matt Petersen
    (22) David Myles
    (23) Jordan Atkins
    (25) Chris Walker
    (28) Smith Samau
    EELS:
    Luke Burt
    Jarryd Hayne
    Ben Smith
    Joel Reddy
    Eric Grothe
    Brett Finch
    Tim Smith
    Nathan Cayless (capt)
    Mark Riddell
    Fuifui Moimoi
    Ian Hindmarsh
    Chad Robinson
    Daniel Wagon
    Interchange:
    PJ Marsh
    Josh Cordoba
    Todd Lowrie
    Justin Tsoulos
    Richard Fa'aoso
    Feleti Mateo
    Aaron Cannings.

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information/reports***
    Last edited by Queenslander; 21-02-07 at 05:35 PM.

Hope for my mates sake the Eels win
    Last edited by Poida; 19-02-07 at 07:51 PM.

Junior Titan

Paramatta team to play the Titans is below. Strong team. I wonder what the Titans will look like. It promises to be an intriguing contest...

New team v New Coach / New Finch

Full-strength Eels team to play Titans
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:39 AM

New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad to take on Gold Coast in an NRL trial in the northern NSW town of Lismore on Saturday night.

An under-strength Paramatta defeated Cronulla 36-14 in Parkes on the weekend while the Titans, dominated by rookies and NRL journeymen, lost 32-6 to last year's grand finalist Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch will play five-eighth for the Eels, partnering Tim Smith in the halves.

Australian and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu have been rested for the trial.

Titans coach John Cartwright is expected to name former Wallabies star Mat Rogers in the centres alongside New Zealand international Jake Webster, with Preston Campbell at fullback.

Parramatta Eels 20-man squad:
    Luke Burt, Jarryd Hayne, Ben Smith, Joel Reddy, Eric Grothe, Brett Finch, Tim Smith, Nathan Cayless (capt), Mark Riddell, Fuifui Moimoi, Ian Hindmarsh, Chad Robinson, Daniel Wagon. Interchange: PJ Marsh, Josh Cordoba, Todd Lowrie, Justin Tsoulos, Richard Fa'aoso, Feleti Mateo, Aaron Cannings.

Source: AAP

Rogers ready for NRL comeback

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:23 PM

Gold Coast utility Mat Rogers is fit and eager to play against a full-strength Parramatta outfit in an NRL trial in Lismore on Saturday night.

The former Wallaby only started training with the Titans squad last month following his decision to quit rugby union and settle on the Gold Coast.

Rogers, 31, injured his ankle during his first training session with his new club but has fully recovered and can't wait to play against the Eels this weekend.

"He's doing everything that the rest of the squad are doing," coach John Cartwright said from the team camp in Coffs Harbour.

"We had a really tough session yesterday and he wasn't behind the other fellas at all.

"He's a good, positive member of the squad now. You can really see him coming to hand over the past week."

Cartwright said dual international Rogers, who hasn't played in the NRL since the end of 2001, will undergo a final fitness test on his ankle on Wednesday but should be given the all-clear.

Rogers will start in the centre alongside Kiwi international Jake Webster, who will return from off-season shoulder surgery.

Rookie coach Cartwright revealed Preston Campbell would start the trial at fullback before sharing the hooker duties with Clint Amos.

With former Melbourne rake Nathan Friend sidelined with a shoulder injury, Cartwright wants to experiment with the dummy-half role.

The diminutive Campbell played five-eighth during his time at Penrith but stood on the wing in defence as opposition players looked to target the 2001 Dally M player of the year.

New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad with the exception of Australian and NSW Origin pair Timana Tahu and Nathan Hindmarsh, who has extended his contract with the Eels until the end of 2010.

The acid test for the Titans arrives this week when they march out their stars including Rogers, co-captains Luke Bailey and Scott Prince and back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello.

Their development squad went down 32-6 to Melbourne last weekend in Coffs Harbour but held the 2006 grand finalist to just 12 points until the final quarter.

"It's going to answer a few more questions about us," Cartwright said about the clash with Parramatta.

"The young players were really gutsy last week but realistically this is the squad that will get us through the bulk of the year.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing how they go."

Cartwright will name his squad on Wednesday, with Friend, James Stosic (Achilles tendon), Matt Petersen (ankle), Richie Mathers (virus) and Michael Hodgson (hamstring) the only established first-graders unavailable.

Source: AAP

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Can't wait for this one!

Our first true indication of how our team stacks up.

Its an 8 point win to the Titans. I have no doubt in my mind.

Titans fans need to be at this one.
    IT WILL BE OUR FIRST WIN!!!

I unfortunately will miss this game - it was either Lismore or Carrara missing out - I decided being at Carrara was more important.

Enjoy the game, LIVE updates will be organised for those not able to attend.

Titans First Grader

It looks like its going to be a great game, come on parra!

Im having heart palpitations and counting down the hrs till i drive down to lismore from robina on saturday.It cant come quick enough for me im about to burst.titans by 6

Ritchie Mathers was sent home from training yesterday due to a virus. It is unclear whether or not he will play in this weeks trial.

Source: The Courier Mail

I have heard Preston will be spending a lot of time at fullback for this game *gulp*

I wish the little magician all the best with whatever Carty throws at him in the trials.

Titans media release

Stars on show

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright has named his strongest possible side for this weekends NRL trial against Parramatta at Oakes Oval, Lismore.

After fielding a squad of exciting junior and fringe players against Melbourne during their first trial at Coffs Harbours BCU international stadium last Saturday night, Cartwright has named all bar one of his top squad for Saturdays clash with the Eels.

Cartwright said ?On paper it is a very good team and the work we have done in camp at Coffs during the last week has certainly brought us even closer together and I think watching the young guys go around last week was a real eye opener for the top squad and they now know that we have a lot of talented youngsters at the club who will push them for a place in the team every week.?

Michael Hodgson, Nathan Friend, Daniel Conn and Richie Mathers were all unavailable for selection due to injury and illness with Richie Mathers falling ill with a chest infection and returning to the Gold Coast a day after making his debut for the Jetstar Titans in Coffs Harbour.

? Unfortunately Richie who played very well in parts against the Storm last week has been forced out with a viral infection and has returned to the Gold Coast to ensure he receives maximum rest. If he has recovered sufficiently Richie will certainly return to Lismore on Saturday to be with the squad, however he won?t take any part in the Lismore clash.? Said Cartwright.

For Jetstar Gold Coast Titans co-captains Luke Bailey and Scott Prince, Saturday night can?t come quick enough with both players leading by example during this weeks training camp at Pacific Bay Resort Coffs Harbour.

Scott Said, ?I?m really happy with the squad that we have for Saturday night and the boys have really responded with some good hard sessions during the week, Luke has the Big men firing and they have really been getting stuck into each other during the oppose sessions and I think the crowd at Lismore will see something pretty special when the boys are unleashed on Saturday night.?

Prince has also been impressed with the performance of what shapes up as a very dangerous backline at training.

?Picking the backline would have been a really tough job for Carty (Cartwright) and the other coaching staff because competition for starting spots has been really fierce during the week, but the boys chosen to run out have been given the first chance to state a claim for a round one starting spot against the Dragons and all of us know how important it is to play well on Saturday night.? Said Prince.

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans squad to play Saturday nights NRL trial against Parramatta at Oakes Oval Lismore is as follows.

(1) Preston Campbell (10) Brad Meyers (19) Nathaniel Barnes

(2) Lelea Paea (11) Anthony Laffranchi (20) Josh Graham

(3) Mat Rogers (12) Gavin Cooper (21) Matt Petersen

(4) Brett Delaney (13) Luke Swain (22) David Myles

(5) Jake Webster (14) Michael Henderson (23) Jordan Atkins

(6) Matt Hilder (15) Kris Kahler (25) Chris Walker

(7) Scott Prince (16) Mark Minichiello (28) Smith Samau

(8) Luke Bailey (17) Luke Odwyer

(9) Clint Amos (18) Isaac Kauffman

what a great backline, gee odywer is the forgotten man he played great footy last year, but there is going to be some real pressure on backline spots

I'm sad to not see DeeGan at Lismore, it was great catching up last week and I'd loved to have spent hours hanging out with him, but there is plenty of time to do that later in the year.

I can really understand his reasons, driving to Coffs was an effort and going to Lismore is even further for him and flying would cost a small fortune. For me Lismore is far far closer to travel to and I'm planning to drive to the game and leave back to Brisbane afterwards and not staying over night, which will save me a bundle. If I was in DeeGan's postion, I'd be thinking of doing the same. These handful of trials really mount up costwise before Round 1 even kicks off.

He'll be back for the trial on the Coast.

For those going down, we should all try and at least say g'day to each other. Just look for the big flag, which I will wave, especially after each Titans try is scored. Try and get there when gates open, so we can claim some land and set up camp and get to know each other.

I will send DeeGan thorough SMS score updates for everyone to enjoy!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Thumbs up

Great stuff Diehard. Keep the scores coming our way. I am all excited about this game. Interesting lineup for Titans looks good. :radio: