Hybrid View

Default Trial: Gold Coast Titans vs Parramatta Eels

GOLD COAST TITANS vs PARRAMATTA EELS
    Oakes Oval, Lismore; Saturday 24th Feburary 2007, 7:30pm

Referee: TBA

Team Notes:

Titans
    The Titans are expected to name a full strength side after losing to the Melbourne Storm 32-6

Michael Hodgson, Nathan Friend, Daniel Conn and Richie Mathers were all unavailable for selection due to injury and illness with Richie Mathers falling ill with a chest infection and returning to the Gold Coast a day after making his debut for the Jetstar Titans in Coffs Harbour.
    Eels
    New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad to take on Gold Coast in an NRL trial in the northern NSW town of Lismore on Saturday night.

An under-strength Paramatta defeated Cronulla 36-14 in Parkes on the weekend while the Titans, dominated by rookies and NRL journeymen, lost 32-6 to last year's grand finalist Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch will play five-eighth for the Eels, partnering Tim Smith in the halves.

Australian and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu have been rested for the trial.

Squads:

TITANS:
    (1) Preston Campbell
    (2) Lelea Paea
    (3) Mat Rogers
    (4) Brett Delaney
    (5) Jake Webster
    (6) Matt Hilder
    (7) Scott Prince
    (8) Luke Bailey
    (9) Clint Amos
    (10) Brad Meyers
    (11) Anthony Laffranchi
    (12) Gavin Cooper
    (13) Luke Swain
    Interchange:
    (14) Michael Henderson
    (15) Kris Kahler
    (16) Mark Minichiello
    (17) Luke Odwyer
    (18) Isaac Kauffman
    (19) Nathaniel Barnes
    (20) Josh Graham
    (21) Matt Petersen
    (22) David Myles
    (23) Jordan Atkins
    (25) Chris Walker
    (28) Smith Samau
    EELS:
    Luke Burt
    Jarryd Hayne
    Ben Smith
    Joel Reddy
    Eric Grothe
    Brett Finch
    Tim Smith
    Nathan Cayless (capt)
    Mark Riddell
    Fuifui Moimoi
    Ian Hindmarsh
    Chad Robinson
    Daniel Wagon
    Interchange:
    PJ Marsh
    Josh Cordoba
    Todd Lowrie
    Justin Tsoulos
    Richard Fa'aoso
    Feleti Mateo
    Aaron Cannings.

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information/reports***
    Last edited by Queenslander; 21-02-07 at 05:35 PM.

Hope for my mates sake the Eels win
    Last edited by Poida; 19-02-07 at 07:51 PM.

Junior Titan

Paramatta team to play the Titans is below. Strong team. I wonder what the Titans will look like. It promises to be an intriguing contest...

New team v New Coach / New Finch

Full-strength Eels team to play Titans
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:39 AM

New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad to take on Gold Coast in an NRL trial in the northern NSW town of Lismore on Saturday night.

An under-strength Paramatta defeated Cronulla 36-14 in Parkes on the weekend while the Titans, dominated by rookies and NRL journeymen, lost 32-6 to last year's grand finalist Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch will play five-eighth for the Eels, partnering Tim Smith in the halves.

Australian and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu have been rested for the trial.

Titans coach John Cartwright is expected to name former Wallabies star Mat Rogers in the centres alongside New Zealand international Jake Webster, with Preston Campbell at fullback.

Parramatta Eels 20-man squad:
    Luke Burt, Jarryd Hayne, Ben Smith, Joel Reddy, Eric Grothe, Brett Finch, Tim Smith, Nathan Cayless (capt), Mark Riddell, Fuifui Moimoi, Ian Hindmarsh, Chad Robinson, Daniel Wagon. Interchange: PJ Marsh, Josh Cordoba, Todd Lowrie, Justin Tsoulos, Richard Fa'aoso, Feleti Mateo, Aaron Cannings.

Source: AAP

Rogers ready for NRL comeback

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:23 PM

Gold Coast utility Mat Rogers is fit and eager to play against a full-strength Parramatta outfit in an NRL trial in Lismore on Saturday night.

The former Wallaby only started training with the Titans squad last month following his decision to quit rugby union and settle on the Gold Coast.

Rogers, 31, injured his ankle during his first training session with his new club but has fully recovered and can't wait to play against the Eels this weekend.

"He's doing everything that the rest of the squad are doing," coach John Cartwright said from the team camp in Coffs Harbour.

"We had a really tough session yesterday and he wasn't behind the other fellas at all.

"He's a good, positive member of the squad now. You can really see him coming to hand over the past week."

Cartwright said dual international Rogers, who hasn't played in the NRL since the end of 2001, will undergo a final fitness test on his ankle on Wednesday but should be given the all-clear.

Rogers will start in the centre alongside Kiwi international Jake Webster, who will return from off-season shoulder surgery.

Rookie coach Cartwright revealed Preston Campbell would start the trial at fullback before sharing the hooker duties with Clint Amos.

With former Melbourne rake Nathan Friend sidelined with a shoulder injury, Cartwright wants to experiment with the dummy-half role.

The diminutive Campbell played five-eighth during his time at Penrith but stood on the wing in defence as opposition players looked to target the 2001 Dally M player of the year.

New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad with the exception of Australian and NSW Origin pair Timana Tahu and Nathan Hindmarsh, who has extended his contract with the Eels until the end of 2010.

The acid test for the Titans arrives this week when they march out their stars including Rogers, co-captains Luke Bailey and Scott Prince and back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello.

Their development squad went down 32-6 to Melbourne last weekend in Coffs Harbour but held the 2006 grand finalist to just 12 points until the final quarter.

"It's going to answer a few more questions about us," Cartwright said about the clash with Parramatta.

"The young players were really gutsy last week but realistically this is the squad that will get us through the bulk of the year.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing how they go."

Cartwright will name his squad on Wednesday, with Friend, James Stosic (Achilles tendon), Matt Petersen (ankle), Richie Mathers (virus) and Michael Hodgson (hamstring) the only established first-graders unavailable.

Source: AAP

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Can't wait for this one!

Our first true indication of how our team stacks up.

Its an 8 point win to the Titans. I have no doubt in my mind.

Titans fans need to be at this one.
    IT WILL BE OUR FIRST WIN!!!

i rkn still put rogers at 5/8, we have alot of good centers

Please refer to this post on the 20-2-07 on page 1 of this thread.

Another prediction by Dee13 comes to fruition.

This game was awsome for Titans fans.

I have to thank the Titans Management for tonight. I got some great onfield photos.

The players are all extatic with this effort.
    Chris Walker said: "Ohh mate this is awsome. How good is it." as the team went for their lap of honour.

Michael Searle and Paul Broughton are both over the moon. I spent the first half of the match with Michael and he was happy with the half time result let alone the full time result.

I can easily say the Titans are supported in Lismore. A crowd of people waited for ages after the game for a glimpse of the boys.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN SEARLEY AND THE WHOLE TITANS FAMILY

Quote Originally Posted by dee13

Nice work Dee. Its hard picking the trials because it is all experimented and who knows what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HigherTitan
    Nice work Dee. Its hard picking the trials because it is all experimented and who knows what will happen.
    Nice avatar of Scott Prince. Its great to see my photos being used. I will take it as a compliment to my photography. Thanks

Nice avatar of Scott Prince. Its great to see my photos being used. I will take it as a compliment to my photography. Thanks
    Thankyou Dee. I recieved the image from a friend. Wasnt sure who took it, Great work and thankyou. You went to the trial, Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by HigherTitan
    Thankyou Dee. I recieved the image from a friend. Wasnt sure who took it, Great work and thankyou. You went to the trial, Yes?
    Yes, I was there. I spent the pre game and a quarter of the game on the sideline taking photos of the players. Then went into the main grandstand for the rest of the game.

The photo of Pricey was taken at the first official training session back a few months ago

booya good job from over the ditch to the titans bois

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

This game was awsome for Titans fans.

I have to thank the Titans Management for tonight. I got some great onfield photos.

The players are all extatic with this effort.
    Chris Walker said: "Ohh mate this is awsome. How good is it." as the team went for their lap of honour.

Michael Searle and Paul Broughton are both over the moon. I spent the first half of the match with Michael and he was happy with the half time result let alone the full time result.

I can easily say the Titans are supported in Lismore. A crowd of people waited for ages after the game for a glimpse of the boys.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN SEARLEY AND THE WHOLE TITANS FAMILY
    They won by 12 though

Quote Originally Posted by Poida
    They won by 12 though
    Point is I had no doubt in my mind that we would win. Bring on Penrith