Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Titans won't seek revenge on Turner

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:37 PM

Melbourne winger Steve Turner will be a marked man when he plays in a trial against Gold Coast in Coffs Harbour on Saturday but Titans coach John Cartwright insists his players won't be seeking revenge through illegal tactics.

Turner, 22, became embroiled in a bitter contract dispute between Melbourne and the Titans last year after agreeing to terms with Gold Coast and then reneging on the deal to re-sign with the Storm.

The long-standing impasse was only resolved last month when the Storm agreed to pay the Titans compensation and send two rookies - Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac - to the Gold Coast as part of a player exchange.

"Nothing's been said (between the Titans players)," Cartwright remarked when asked if Turner could expect a hostile reception in the historic trial on Saturday night.

"The fellas here have become very close-knit and no-one likes what he did.

"The game's too professional now for anyone to be targeted but it'll be interesting to see what happens when he does get the ball.

"The players are all professional and the judiciary will come into play if anyone does anything stupid.

"Nothing stupid will be done but I suppose there'll be plenty of aggression there."

Cartwright said he had moved on from the Turner saga.

"If you sit there stewing on that, then you're forgetting something else in the preparation," he told AAP.

"He made his decision. It didn't go down very well but we've moved on."

Cartwright has enough on his plate as he prepares a youthful and inexperienced 28-man squad for the clash against a full-strength Storm outfit that includes teenage superstar Greg Inglis at five-eighth.

"Six months ago when they were sitting down watching a grand final (between Brisbane and Melbourne) they would never have thought they'd be out playing against one of the sides in there," Cartwright said about the Titans squad, mainly drawn from the Queensland Cup.

"That can often bring out the best in people."

Much of the attention will focus on Turner's reception but it'll be interesting to see how Inglis handles the five-eighth role following the departure of veteran Scott Hill to English Super League club Harlequins.

"He could play anywhere from front-row to fullback," Cartwright said about the 20-year-old Inglis.

"He's just a handful for every player, more so at five-eighth because he can get his hands on the ball a lot more often.

"He's just got to learn the intricacies of playing five-eighth. He's got all the natural skills - vision, pace, step and swerve."

The Titans will spend most of next week in Coffs Harbour preparing for their next trial after the Storm match - against Parramatta in Lismore on February 24 when Cartwright will field some of his top-shelf players.

Gold Coast v Melbourne trial squad: Richie Mathers, Chris Walker, Josh Graham, Jordan Atkins, Nathaniel Barnes, David Myles, Isaac Kaufmann, Michael Henderson, Tim McCann, Brad Meyers, Michael Hodgson, Adam Hutchison, Kris Kahler, Nick Parfitt, James Wood, Joel Reithmuller, Chris Enahoro, Andrew Maroney, Matt Austin, Murray Emmerson, Matt Francis, Tyson Lofipo, Josh Costello, Matt Pow, Josh Blatch, Kale Burton, Smith Samau, Josh Vaughn.

Source: AAP

Default Titans: Mathers ready to storm into NRL

Mathers ready to storm into NRL
    By Karl deKroo
    February 14, 2007

RICHIE Mathers says he can bury the Steve Turner saga with a strong performance against the man he had planned to battle for the Gold Coast fullback jersey.

Mathers will play his first competitive match in Australia, and his first back from a knee reconstruction, when he joins an inexperienced Titans squad for Saturday night's trial match against Turner's Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbour.

The English excitement machine said he was itching to play in the NRL.

"To be honest, whether Steve Turner was coming to the club or not I expected to make the fullback spot my own this season," Mathers said last night.

"I came from the UK because I wanted to play week in, week out in the toughest competition in the world.

"I could have easily stayed in a pretty secure spot in England with Leeds, but I really want to test myself in the NRL and it all starts Saturday night."

Mathers is close to returning to his peak after a knee reconstruction in June last year.

While Titans coach John Cartwright will sit out most of his big guns against Melbourne, Mathers was desperate to play.

"It has been a while since my last game. It has been a long and tough pre-season and I really wanted to start," Mathers said.

Mathers's battle with former Queensland fullback Billy Slater should be one of the features of the trial match, although Slater revealed he was unlikely to be restricted to custodian duties alone.

"Fullback is still my preferred position but I'm also looking to get a bit more involved, I guess similar to Matty Bowen with the Cowboys and how Brett Hodgson plays with the Tigers," Slater said.

"Craig (Bellamy) has been shuffling us all around a fair bit during the pre-season and I've been training at fullback, centre, five-eighth and even hooker."

Slater said Saturday night would signal a new beginning after a disappointing 2006, which was punctuated by a series of lengthy suspensions.

"I'm desperate to put all that behind me and get back to playing some good footy."

The Courier Mail

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander

"Craig (Bellamy) has been shuffling us all around a fair bit during the pre-season and I've been training at fullback, centre, five-eighth and even hooker."

The Courier Mail
    Interesting comment by Slater. I'm not surprised though. If you rock on down to a Storm training session, you will see players out of position. It seems to be a tactic used by Bellamy to get players outside their comfort zone, and over time they feel more in control, no matter what happens on the field on game day. Injuries, send offs, adjusting to the opposition tactics etc all need to have contingencies.

Also - it helps players build skills they may not necessarily have. Similar to Bennet with Lockyer and Hunt, were hunt comes into second receiver and throws a wicked flat ball usually to a winger for a try in the corner. Slater worked in a similar fashion off Scotty Hill last year and showed a wicked grubber kick behind play.

Scary thought: Ball clears ruck, into the hands of Ingis at first receiver who runs at speed towards the left wing, Slater wraps around to collect the ball from Inglis in a second man play, and now has Matt King or Steve Turner as options to (i) run (ii) pass (iii) grubber.

I will be heading down from Brisbane to Coffs Habour on Saturday. Go the mighty Coast!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

This game will be interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Titans play their first game in the NRL. I wish I could be down at Coffs Harbour to see this one.

Default Turner to cop Titans fury

Turner to cop Titans fury

By Dean Ritchie
    February 15, 2007

ANGRY Gold Coast Titans last night promised wing Steve Turner a "bit of grief" this weekend in what could be the most hostile trial match in years.

Tensions will be high when Turner lines up for Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbour on Saturday night against the team he flatly rejected.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said Turner could look forward to "a bit of treatment".

But Storm coach Craig Bellamy fired back, saying: "It's easy for a bloke not playing to say these things."

Turner feared he would be forced to sit out the season after a public six-month stand-off with the Titans, the club that he initially agreed to join before declaring his desire to stay in Melbourne.

Turner, 22, yesterday admitted he was nervous in the lead-up to Saturday, saying: "I know there's been some talk ... they can't wait to play me. I'm not quite sure what to expect.

"I just hope whatever happens on the field stays on the field and we can all get on with life.

"I'm just extremely grateful to the Titans and Storm for getting the chance to play in the NRL this season."

But Searle said many Gold Coast fans remained bitter that Turner failed to honour his Titans contract.

The Titans boss said his players had not forgotten the drama either. "Rugby league is fairly emotional - some fans may feel the need to (taunt Turner)," Searle said.

"I'm sure Steve will expect that. The match is being played in our catchment area (Coffs Harbour) rather than at home.

"It would have been more vocal had the match been played on the Gold Coast.

"He might yet get off scot-free from the fans, but he may get a bit of treatment from our players.

"I'm sure he'll cop a bit of grief. Our boys might give Steve a bit of a razz."

Bellamy was angered by Searle's comments and questioned Gold Coast's motives.

"They can go as hard as they like," Bellamy said.

"If that's the way they want to go, so be it. It won't help their football."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said his players were ready to support Turner on the field.

"Our players will be ready to support Steve," Waldron said. "It won't worry Steve.

"He accepts it. I'm sure the Gold Coast will give him some come-uppance for choosing to stay in Melbourne."

The tug of war for Turner finally ended last month when the Titans agreed to release the player from his three-year Gold Coast deal in exchange for two junior players - Smith Samau, who will play for the Titans on Saturday night, and Daniel Isaac.

Angry Caught Out.

arial black5dark orangeb :') After purchasing Tickets for Storm V Titans on Sat 17 th. I now find that the Team Playing is more or less a Reserve side. A very poor show by Titans Management. Not a great start for me at all, I will be very wary of any other games arranged like this. Shame on you.
    Already a disgruntled Fan.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by spikejoness
    arial black5dark orangeb :') After purchasing Tickets for Storm V Titans on Sat 17 th. I now find that the Team Playing is more or less a Reserve side. A very poor show by Titans Management. Not a great start for me at all, I will be very wary of any other games arranged like this. Shame on you.
    Hey spike,

Melbourne aside, you will find that most clubs playing this weekend, have named an understrength team, preferring to rest their players for the long and arduous season ahead.
    I too, am driving down to Coffs, and I would love to see the likes of Prince, Campbell, Bailey etc play, but I can totally understand the risk of not naming these players.
    Remember, that Coach Cartwright has still named Mathers, Walker, Graham, Myles, Henderson, Meyers, Hodgson, Kahler and Parfitt, with all those players having experienced first grade professional rugby league before.
    Don't be too disheartned by the fact of lack of 'name players', but just join us in celebrating the birth of our new team.

Cheers,

Parra Petty.

P.S. - my preferred team, the Eels, have only named Riddell, Canning and Tsoulos for this weekends trial, so don't be too harsh on the Titans!

Quote Originally Posted by Parra Petty
    P.S. - my preferred team, the Eels, have only named Riddell, Canning and Tsoulos for this weekends trial, so don't be too harsh on the Titans!
    The Eels have only named three players?!?.....is that allowed?

Back on topic.

spikejoness I would not be too harsh on the Titans, many teams have named understrength sides to keep players fresh for the real competition in a couple of weeks. The Storm have not for whatever reason. Just call yourself lucky as you can see the likes of Slater, Inglis, Smith, and Cronk at the same time

Myles undaunted by Inglis challenge

Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Preparing for his first game in eight months, Gold Coast utility David Myles says he isn't concerned about marking superstar Greg Inglis in an NRL trial between the Titans and Melbourne this weekend.

Myles, 29, has the unenviable task of shutting down the sublime Inglis, who will play in the unfamiliar five-eighth role against the Titans in Coffs Harbour on Saturday.

Inglis, who scored 18 tries from 19 NRL games last year, is set to take over as Storm five-eighth following the departure of veteran Scott Hill to England.

"I don't really know much about him as a five-eighth but I know he's a very talented and skilful player," said Myles, who last played for French club Toulouse in June.

"I'm sure he'll excel anywhere he plays on the field. He's a very dangerous player.

"I think Inglis can do anything in our game, I honestly do. He's going to be one of the next superstars.

"Having him closer to the action, I think he'll pick it up (the five-eighth role) no problems but I won't be worrying about Greg Inglis as much as worrying about ourselves.

"It's our first trial match and we'll be looking to get things right for the first competition game (against St George Illawarra in Brisbane on March 18)."

Myles is one of the few players with NRL experience named in coach John Cartwright's 28-man squad for the historic trial in Coffs Harbour.

He has played for the Gold Coast Chargers, Cronulla, New Zealand Warriors and North Queensland but wants to hang up his boots as a Titan.

Being on a one-year deal only, Myles realises he needs a big 2007 season to impress Cartwright.

"I don't really want to travel anywhere else and play footy. I'm hoping I can stay here for another couple of years," he said.

"I've sort of done a full circle in the rugby league world.

"I'm looking to make this year a big one and get an extended contract."

Myles said he had made a seamless transition from playing in France - "a bit of a holiday to be honest" - to training under the tough regime of trainer Billy Johnstone, who he also worked under at the Cowboys.

"I've slipped back into the groove pretty quick because I had seven years in the NRL before I left," he pointed out.

"Coming back to Billy (Johnstone) I knew what to expect. Maybe the first couple of weeks were tough but now it feels like I haven't been away."

Myles could prove to be a valuable asset in a youthful Titans squad.

"You can't buy experience," he said.

"Some of the guys just finished school last year and I don't even remember the last time I was at school."

The Titans leave for Coffs Harbour on Friday and will spend most of next week in camp in the NSW coastal town in preparation for a February 24 trial against Parramatta in Lismore.
    Source: AAP

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by spikejoness
    Dont fret too much spike. If I was lucky enough to watch my team play their first game in team colours ever, i'd be over the moon!

And as Queenslander mentioned, you'll still be able to see the likes of the Dally M Medal Winner (Cameron Smith), the Halfback of the Year (Cronk) and 'The Freak' (dont really need to name who he is ).

You're definitely in for a show - and who knows, if the Titans pull off an amazing upset against the odds (no offence intended, i'm just basing my judgement on the current lineups, you'll be able to tell people for years to come "I was there to watch the Titans win their first ever game - in amazing circumstances!"

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Default Storm warns Titans stirrer

Storm warns Titans stirrer

By Dave Donaghy
    February 16, 2007

STEVE Turner has accused Gold Coast chief exe Michael Searle of "trying to stir the pot" as Melbourne Storm hooker Cameron Smith dared the Titans to target his teammate in tomorrow's trial.

Turner last night shrugged off Searle's warning that the Titans would target him in Coffs Harbour as retribution for turning his back on the NRL's newest franchise.

"He's trying to stir the pot, but I'm not listening too much to what they've said," Turner said.

Smith said the Storm players would stand up for their teammate and had promised to make the Titans' debut miserable.

Star Titans recruits Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers will be missing from the club's historic first appearance.

Default History in the making: Titanic day as new boys take the field

History in the making: Titanic day as new boys take the field
    Luke Turgeon
    17Feb07

THE Gold Coast Titans will create history in Coffs Harbour tonight, when the fledgling franchise earns its wings as a National Rugby League side.

The Titans will clash with the Melbourne Storm at BCU International Stadium, kicking off a new chapter in Gold Coast rugby league.

"It is a historic day and a day that lots of people have worked really hard for," said Titans managing director Michael Searle.

"There is Carty (John Cartwright) out in front with the players but there have also been lots of people behind the scenes over many years.

"So I am just as happy for them as I am for the players."

The Titans will field a side made up mostly of NRL unknowns for the match, which acts as the club's first pre-season trial.

Just a handful of the full-time squad have been named in the side, as Cartwright works towards finalising his top squad for 2007.

Last year's grand finalists Melbourne on the other hand, have named their strongest side possible for the encounter, with Dally M player of the year Cameron Smith leading out a star-studded line-up.

"It is the first game of the Titans representing the Gold Coast, so it is a big day and we are treating it that way as well," said Cartwright.

"The players are very nervous, not only do they have the occasion to deal with they also have to deal with the fact that they are playing a very strong side. But it is a great opportunity for them.

"We needed as a coaching staff to see these guys at this level.

"They have trained for it the whole pre-season and they are really looking forward to it."

The Titans will play another trial against Parramatta in Lismore next Saturday before their Gold Coast debut at Carrara in their final trial match against Penrith on March 2.

"We have to look at the bigger picture here," said Cartwright.

"This is our first game but we have to be ready for St George in round one (March 18), that is the main crux of these trials.

"It is a big moment for the guys who have worked so hard to get us here and our fans but we have got to look at the big picture and the big picture requires that we are going to see these guys in a tough situation."

Searle said he could remember like it was yesterday the first time the bid team met almost a decade ago to set the wheels in motion to enter the NRL, after the Gold Coast Chargers were squeezed out of top level rugby league in 1998.

"It was March 15, 1999, so we are just one month short of eight years," he said.

"For us it is about being competitive and that is something we have always strived for.

"I am over the moon to give so many guys an opportunity to show themselves at this level and I think a few of them will surprise."

Despite staring down the barrel of a loss in their first outing, Cartwright said the benefits of trialling so much emerging talent outweighed the probability they will be down on the scoreboard when the full-time siren sounds.

"I expect they are going to throw everything at us," said Cartwright.

"They have picked their best side and to tell the truth I probably didn't expect it.

"But he (Storm coach Craig Bellamy) is doing things for a reason and so are we.

"We are probably going to get a lot more out of the trial than they will but time will tell."

Source..Gold Coast Bulletin

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Default Turner: I'm not listening

Turner: I'm not listening
    Friday, February 16, 2007

MELBOURNE Storm fullback Steve Turner has accused Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle of "trying to stir the pot" before tomorrow's trial in Coffs Harbour.

Turner shrugged off Searle's warning the Titans would gun for him as retribution for turning his back on the NRL's newest club.

Searle said Turner should expect a "bit of treatment" after his decision to remain in Melbourne, despite agreeing to a three-year-deal with the Gold Coast.

But Turner yesterday turned the blowtorch back on Searle by laughing off his comments.

"He's trying to stir the pot, but I'm not listening too much to what they've said," Turner said.

"If they're worried about it, let it be. I know we're worrying about the game of footy and not worrying about the niggles or targeting players."

The trial has progressed from a meaningless pre-season hit-out to a hostile game, despite Gold Coast naming a second-string side.

Star Titans recruits Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers will miss the club's first match.

Instead, barely a handful of first-graders will combine with a host of Queensland Cup players and Gold Coast juniors, prompting Storm hooker Cameron Smith to label the opposition a "state league" team.

Smith said the Storm got a "giggle" out of Searle's comments and warned the Titans against chasing Turner.

"I had a bit of a giggle to myself, which I think most of the boys did," Smith said.

"(Searle) has got a right to say what he thinks . . . but I'm pretty sure once we get to the game, if their team wants to think about getting Steve, then they're going to have some problems handling everyone else in the team.

"We get told every week that we don't want to target one player because every team has a lot of quality players. Once you do that, you find yourself in trouble in other areas.

"I think the coach said that it's pretty funny (Searle's) saying that when he's not even on the park.

"It doesn't really bother me what he says. Most of the blokes that are playing against Steve weren't going to have anything to do with him. They're in their state league team. It's not going to change the way we play or approach the game at all."

Turner, who is battling a debilitating foot injury, will line up against either former Queensland State-of-Origin flyer and Storm teammate Chris Walker or Nathaniel Barnes in tomorrow's trial.

Turner revealed last night he had been forced to wear compression socks while sleeping and miss a training session a week to ensure his availability for back-to-back games.

He hobbles dramatically after training and games after suffering the injury during a trial in Cairns two years ago.

Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said she had previously only witnessed the injury in motorbike accident victims.
    Source....Storm Website

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by jenny
    Turner: I'm not listening
    Friday, February 16, 2007

MELBOURNE Storm fullback Steve Turner has accused Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle of "trying to stir the pot" before tomorrow's trial in Coffs Harbour.

Turner shrugged off Searle's warning the Titans would gun for him as retribution for turning his back on the NRL's newest club.

Searle said Turner should expect a "bit of treatment" after his decision to remain in Melbourne, despite agreeing to a three-year-deal with the Gold Coast.

But Turner yesterday turned the blowtorch back on Searle by laughing off his comments.

"If they're worried about it, let it be. I know we're worrying about the game of footy and not worrying about the niggles or targeting players."

The trial has progressed from a meaningless pre-season hit-out to a hostile game, despite Gold Coast naming a second-string side.

Star Titans recruits Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers will miss the club's first match.

Instead, barely a handful of first-graders will combine with a host of Queensland Cup players and Gold Coast juniors, prompting Storm hooker Cameron Smith to label the opposition a "state league" team.

Smith said the Storm got a "giggle" out of Searle's comments and warned the Titans against chasing Turner.

"I had a bit of a giggle to myself, which I think most of the boys did," Smith said.

"(Searle) has got a right to say what he thinks . . . but I'm pretty sure once we get to the game, if their team wants to think about getting Steve, then they're going to have some problems handling everyone else in the team.

"We get told every week that we don't want to target one player because every team has a lot of quality players. Once you do that, you find yourself in trouble in other areas.

"I think the coach said that it's pretty funny (Searle's) saying that when he's not even on the park.

"It doesn't really bother me what he says. Most of the blokes that are playing against Steve weren't going to have anything to do with him. They're in their state league team. It's not going to change the way we play or approach the game at all."

Turner, who is battling a debilitating foot injury, will line up against either former Queensland State-of-Origin flyer and Storm teammate Chris Walker or Nathaniel Barnes in tomorrow's trial.

Turner revealed last night he had been forced to wear compression socks while sleeping and miss a training session a week to ensure his availability for back-to-back games.

He hobbles dramatically after training and games after suffering the injury during a trial in Cairns two years ago.

Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said she had previously only witnessed the injury in motorbike accident victims.
    Source....Storm Website
    Oh...I thought Turners foot injury was caused from....Foot In Mouth Disease :ok:
    Go The Titans :win: