Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Gold Coast Titans squad posted in original thread.

Wow Nick Parfitt! I'm excited!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan rookies to face Storm
    Gold Coast Bulletin
    Luke Turgeon

09Feb07

TITANS coach John Cartwright will today name a team made up mostly of National Rugby League unknowns for the Gold Coast side's first trial against Melbourne next Saturday.

Cartwright will take 28 players to Coffs Harbour for the opening pre-season hit-out, with just nine of those having had NRL experience.

Fullback Richie Mathers, winger Chris Walker, centre-winger Josh Graham and fullback-winger Smith Samau are the front runners for the remaining backline positions.

Prop is another hotly contested position with Michael Hodgeson, Michael Henderson, Kris Kahler, Brad Meyers and utility David Myles also set to play.

Cartwright will use the encounter to help determine the remaining few places in the Titans top squad to contest the final two trials in Lismore against Parramatta on February 24 and Penrith on the Gold Coast on March 2.

A host of Gold Coast Queensland Cup talent will be given a shot at cracking the inaugural squad.

Cartwright is expected to keep a close eye on Burleigh's Jordan Atkins, Nick Parfitt and Adam Hutchinson and Tweed stars Nat Barnes, Andrew Maroney and James Wood.

Titans sevens captain Matt Pow will line-up alongside fellow Tweed teammates Tim McCann, Chris Enahoro, Matt Austin and Josh Vaughn while Josh Blatch and Kale Burton make up the remaining Burleigh contingent.

Ipswich prop Joel Reithmuller, and former Norths halfback Isaac Kaufmann also travel.

Burleigh junior Matt Francis is a bolter, as are fellow Gold Coast Teen Titans Tyson Lofipo (Ipswich) and Josh Costello (Ipswich).

Murray Emmerson's move back to Burleigh has been rewarded after playing Jersey Flegg for the Bulldogs last season.

From www.smh.com.au

Titans rebel Turner to weather storm

STORM officials have no worries about Steve Turner playing against the new Gold Coast club he turned his back on in next week's historic trial at Coffs Harbour and believe the bitter saga has made him mentally tougher.

Turner was allowed to re-join his Melbourne teammates for training when the long-running dispute was finally resolved only three weeks ago but is set to be named in a near-full-strength side to play the Titans on February 17.

As Gold Coast's first outing, the match was always going to command more attention than usual, but Turner's appearance will shine the spotlight even brighter, as he was supposed to be one of the NRL newcomers' star recruits.

After reneging on the three-year deal, he faced the prospect of sitting on the sidelines until an agreement was eventually struck enabling him to stay in Melbourne in exchange for boom rookies Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac.

Even Turner's family became caught up in the tug of war and concerns were expressed about his mental state. But Storm football manager Dean Lance said the grand-final winger was now back to his usual self and might be even stronger for the experience.

"Since he's come back he seems to have a bit of a spring in his step and, if anything, I think he may be a bit refreshed," Lance said. "Everything that happened made his off-season a mentally tough thing to get through, but he's done that ? he's probably mentally stronger for the experience."

Determined that he would stay in Melbourne, Turner refused to attend Titans training but worked on his own. Lance said the Storm had developed a conditioning program for Turner, and the coaching staff were satisfied with his fitness.

"He's been training as hard as the next guy, it's just that he's been doing it on his own," Lance said.

While the Titans have named a team with few top-line players for their first hit-out, Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy plans to play his best available line-up. The Storm also have a game against a group 2 Coffs Harbour regional side on Thursday night and will bring players from their Brisbane Norths and Central Coast Rip feeder teams to a four-day camp.

The feature match will be a home-coming of sorts for teenage sensation Greg Inglis, who hails from nearby Macksville on the NSW North Coast. He is expected to start at five-eighth.

Lance said forwards Michael Crocker, Ryan Hoffman and Brett White were still recovering from off-season surgery.

"At this stage I think you can say that we will be playing the best side we can and Steve Turner would be in that," he said.

Titans coach John Cartwright said Turner was no longer an issue for the Titans and he was more interested in the performances of some of the younger players at the club, including Samau.

"I'm really excited about young Smith Samau, he's only 20 years old and was stuck behind a big queue of players down there in Melbourne but he's made a big impression on everyone in the two weeks he's been here," Cartwright said. "He's got very sharp feet and is a real powerful fellow, so I look forward to seeing him play."

TITANS (squad): Richie Mathers, Chris Walker, Josh Graham, Jordan Atkins, Nathaniel Barnes, David Myles, Isaac Kaufmann, Michael Henderson, Tim McCann, Brad Meyers, Michael Hodgson, Adam Hutchison, Kris Kahler, Nick Parfitt; James Wood, Joel Reithmuller, Chris Enahoro, Andrew Maroney; Matt Austin, Murray Emmerson; Matt Francis, Tyson Lofipo, Josh Costello, Matt Pow, Josh Blatch, Kale Burton, Smith Samau, Josh Vaughn.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Prop is another hotly contested position with Michael Hodgeson, Michael Henderson, Kris Kahler, Brad Meyers and utility David Myles also set to play.
    David myles?
    Geez,he must have bulked up considerably! :rotflmao:

Default Titanic opportunity for local players

Titanic opportunity for local players
    Luke Turgeon
    12Feb07

BURLEIGH Bears centre Jordan Atkins and Tweed Heads Seagulls winger Nathaniel Barnes are pumped up for big performances against the Storm on Saturday, as they take their first steps towards realising their National Rugby League dreams.

The two local Titans are among 20 NRL unknowns who will get a shot at impressing coach John Cartwright in the Gold Coast's first trial match at Coffs Harbour.

"It is a massive opportunity," said 23-year-old Atkins. "I am pretty fortunate just to be given a shot really.

"There are a few centres in the squad that have a bit more experience than me but there are a few of us Queensland Cup boys that have been given a shot and hopefully we can make the most of it."

The pair, who have trained in the Titans top squad for most of the pre-season, are tipped as possible bolters into the regular first-grade side.

Powerful ball runner Atkins and Barnes, a speedster and superb finisher, will need to put on a show this weekend in order to secure more trial time and challenge the likes of Jake Webster, Brett Delaney, Josh Graham and Matt Petersen for places in the inaugural backline.

But their chances have been made slightly easier since the departure of first choice wingers Brian Carney and Steve Turner.

"They have made a lot of sacrifices those guys to train with us full time and you can see the benefits that it has had on them just by looking at them," said Cartwright.

"Their body shapes have changed and they are up there with the leading bunch at training so I am really looking forward to seeing them play.

"On the training paddock they are right up to NRL standard and now it is just a confidence thing.

"We have to get them out on the field and make them believe that they're good enough to handle it."

Barnes, 24, who has been a standout for Tweed since their inception into the Queensland Cup in 2003, said he had waited a long time for a genuine shot at the NRL and wasn't about to let the opportunity slip through his fingers.

"There are blokes there my age who have already played NRL, it might have taken me a little bit longer but I feel like I am ready," he said.

"If you can play well and perform in the first trial then that should go a long way to getting more trial time, where you have to keep lifting the level of your game each week and hopefully push for one of those spots."

Cartwright said his decision to field a Queensland Cup-heavy side for the club's first match was 'not just a token gesture' to reward the players for months of tough pre-season training.

"These boys have been working really hard," said Cartwright.

"It is a huge opportunity to put themselves on notice."
    Source: GC Bulletin

Storm Team from here

1. Billy Slater, 2. Matt Geyer, 3. Matt King, 4. Anthony Quinn, 5. Steve Turner, 6. Greg Inglis, 7. Cooper Cronk, 8. Ian Donnelly, 9. Cameron Smith, 10. Garret Crossman, 11. Jeremy Smith, 12. Matt Rua, 13. Dallas Johnson.

Interchange:
    14. Will Chambers, 15. Russell Aitken, 16. Ben Cross, 17. Jeff Lima, 18. Sam Tagataese, 19. James Aubusson.

Storm strong for Titans tussle
    By Steve Jancetic
    February 12, 2007

HAVING won the battle over Steve Turner's services, Melbourne Storm hopes to pile more misery on NRL newcomers Gold Coast after naming a star-studded line-up for Saturday's trial match at Coffs Harbour.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy named his strongest possible squad with only long-term injury concerns Michael Crocker, Antonio Kaufusi, Ryan Hoffman, Brett White and Adam Blair missing from his first-choice side.

Utility sensation Greg Inglis has been given first crack at the vacant No.6 jumper with Australia Tri-Nations teammates Matt King and Cameron Smith also named in the starting 13.

It's in stark contrast to the outfit Titans coach John Cartwright will send out for the club's inaugural hitout, with none of the big name signings named in his 28-man squad for the match on the NSW north coast.

Bellamy claimed he couldn't care less who ran out for the Titans - admitting he didn't even know the make-up of Gold Coast side.

"It's none of my business - he can pick who he likes,'' Bellamy said.

"At the end of the day it's a trial game and he picks a team based on what he wants to get out of the trial.

"It doesn't really matter as far as we're concerned - we're more concerned about ourselves. I haven't even seen their team.''

Cartwright is believed to be resting the likes of Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers until the club's final trial against Penrith at Carrara on March 2.

Bellamy has awarded his stars no such luxury with last year's losing grand finalists keen to hit the ground running when the competition proper kicks off with a clash against Wests Tigers at Olympic Park on March 16.

"We take our trials pretty seriously - we don't take the result seriously,'' Bellamy said.

"We just want to see what we've got here and get some combinations going - we use the trials for a purpose.

"I know a lot of other clubs save their players, they're a bit worried about injuries, but that's part of our game. The sooner we get them out there there sooner they adapt to getting knocked around.''

The match is sure to have more spice than your ordinary trial, with the two clubs involved in a bitter wrangle over the services for wing Turner, who had signed a contract with both clubs.

Turner was eventually allowed to remain in the Victorian capital but only after Storm agreed to release two other players to join the Titans.

Several other sides unveiled their sides for their opening trial matches this weekend with new Parramatta coach Michael Hagan naming Mark Riddell as skipper for his side's clash against the Sharks at Parkes on Saturday night.

First-choice halves Tim Smith and Brett Finch were not selected, with youngsters Feleti Mateo and Blake Green given a chance to show their wares in the top grade.

Rookie Canberra coach Neil Henry named a mixture of top grade and Premier League players in his side to play the North Queensland Young Guns in Rockhampton on Saturday, with halves Michael Dobson and Andrew Dunemann to play their first matches in Australia since returning from stints in the English Super League.

Meanwhile, Wests Tigers and Sydney Roosters will tomorrow unveil their line-ups for Saturday night's Foundation Cup clash at Aussie Stadium.

Most interest centres on whether Tigers coach Tim Sheens will name skipper Brett Hodgson, Paul Whatuira and Benji Marshall after their respective long-term injuries.

AAP

Wow the Storm are fielding a strong squad.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Turner expects stormy reception
    By Stuart Honeysett
    February 13, 2007

MELBOURNE wing Steve Turner is bracing himself for a hostile reception when he lines up for Saturday night's trial match against Gold Coast at Coffs Harbour.

Turner was at the centre of a contract dispute between the two clubs late last season after signing with the Titans, then reneging on the deal to sign again with Storm.

The long-standing impasse was only resolved last month when Storm agreed to pay the Titans compensation and send two rookies - Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac - to the tourist strip as part of a player exchange.

"To be honest I'm not too sure what to expect but I know a lot of people have said that they can't wait to play me," Turner said yesterday.

"I dare say I will (cop some) but I'm not going to worry about what they're going to do to me or if they're going to do anything, really.

"That's part and parcel of the game, a bit of rough stuff, but hopefully that won't happen. If it does I'll have to deal with it.

"Hopefully everyone is happy with what's happened and can put things behind them and move on with the football season."

Turner said he was relieved to get the game between the two clubs out of the way in the pre-season, given that the only other time they meet will be in round 25.

Adding some spice to Saturday night's game is the fact the Titans have named Samau in their squad.

However, Turner said his former Storm teammate bears no ill-will after being traded to the Coast.

"If Smith is playing it will be a good opportunity for him to impress the Gold Coast people and I'm sure he'll be keen to play a few of the Storm boys," Turner said.

"He's a great kid and he had the opportunity to go there and he took it with both hands.

"We got on like a house on fire and he's a very quiet and humble kid. There's no tension between myself and him. We got along fine."

Turner said the off-season upheaval had affected his pre-season preparation and he had only been able to resume full training with the first-grade squad when the matter was settled.

"The first four to six weeks of it I was just training on my own and I wasn't a part of a football team," Turner said.

"It was only a couple of weeks after Christmas when the Storm came back that I started training again with them.

"It has been an interrupted pre-season for me but I've put that behind me now and I'm just concentrating on the trial on Saturday night."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has named a full-strength side that includes new recruits Anthony Quinn and Russell Aitken, former Melbourne premiership backrower Matt Rua and teenage superstar Greg Inglis at five-eighth.

There will be plenty of interest in the performance of Inglis at pivot after veteran five-eighth Scott Hill left the club to play with English Super League club Harlequins.

"Greg is just a natural talent in whatever he does and I'm sure he'll fit in fine at five-eighth," Turner said.

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a second string side for the Eels' opening trial match against Cronulla in Parkes on Saturday night.

Missing from the 22-man squad are halves Tim Smith and Brett Finch. Feleti Mateo was named to start the game at five-eighth alongside halfback Blake Green.

Regular first-grade hooker Mark Riddell will captain the team while prop Aaron Cannings will make his comeback from a shoulder injury which sidelined him for 2006.

Canberra has also named its team for a trial match against North Queensland Young Guns. Former Brisbane forward Neville Costigan will make his first appearance for the Raiders.

Source: The Australian

The great thing about the Storm fielding such a strong side is we get to see how the young lads perform against a top team.

We know how the established first graders go, but these other guys have to fill the gaps. They probably won't win, but that's not important. We'll see who's up to the pressure of the NRL.

Live scores will be updated by Queenslander on Saturday night via SMS from myself.

Wow thats cool
    Thanks DeeGan and Queenslander for keeping us members that are unable to make it to the trial updated. As i barack for both teams, would be nice to see whats happening

cant wait thanks deegan and diehard will be waiting with wings on

I find it interesting that we haven't taken this chance to get our halves on the field.

The hardest part of this season will be Princes job, and the combination with the 5/8.

I can understand the injury concept, but with a brand new team, this has to be overlooked for the chance to get game time together.

At some point we really need to throw the dice, i personally would have done it this weekend.

I'm nervous and excieted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.