Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    Only people that class it above (in Australia) is upper class corporate tossers..

Fact is the only reason the Brumbies get decent crowds because of the whole corporate support and the fact it is 'cool' to be seen there..
    Once these wallaby players retire the Brumbies will fall big time, and within 5 years they will ship off to Victoria.. Union is starting to die in this country, a lackluster world cup campaign will seal it's faith..

Oh and for the record, the Union's new national comp thing recently sold it's TV rights for around 100k .. Fact the sport needs a whored up international super 14 comp for people to be remotely interested, the sport can't survive by itself in the county. Even the A-League is showing great signs with a massive Tv deal and 6 of 8 clubs averaging 10k+ for their home matches....
    A national Rugby comp will have poor crowds, just like when 500 people packed viking park for the Australian Provincial championship

I think it is about time someone thought you some facts

p.s Those that would like to subscribe to my Anti_union journal feel free to PM me.
    The reason only 500 peeps were at the APC was because its the APC, no-one really cares about the APC
    [

Titan One Clubman

Fact the sport needs a whored up international 'super' 14 comp for people to be remotely interested

Thanks for proving my point

Fact the sport needs a whored up international 'super' 14 comp for people to be remotely interested

Thanks for proving my point

Union is a great sport, alot of people think its a great sport, just because you don't, doesn't mean that every doesn't.

And the Super 14 isn't only Australia, the Super 14's support base is huge in NZ and South Africa, as long as that support continues, the Super 14 will survive.
    [

Only people that class it above (in Australia) is upper class corporate tossers..

Fact is the only reason the Brumbies get decent crowds because of the whole corporate support and the fact it is 'cool' to be seen there..
    Once these wallaby players retire the Brumbies will fall big time, and within 5 years they will ship off to Victoria.. Union is starting to die in this country, a lackluster world cup campaign will seal it's faith..

Oh and for the record, the Union's new national comp thing recently sold it's TV rights for around 100k .. Fact the sport needs a whored up international super 14 comp for people to be remotely interested, the sport can't survive by itself in the county. Even the A-League is showing great signs with a massive Tv deal and 6 of 8 clubs averaging 10k+ for their home matches....
    A national Rugby comp will have poor crowds, just like when 500 people packed viking park for the Australian Provincial championship

I think it is about time someone thought you some facts

p.s Those that would like to subscribe to my Anti_union journal feel free to PM me.
    LOL! What he said! I knew if I waited long enough someone would the typing for me haha. And just on his anti union journal, I urge everyone to sign up, its a ripper!

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    And the Super 14 isn't only Australia, the Super 14's support base is huge in NZ and South Africa, as long as that support continues, the Super 14 will survive.
    NZ and South Africa, yeah, but not Australia.

Face it, Union is the number 4 sport in this country, and I haven't checked the crowd figures from the Canberra Capitals match the other night yet either so things could get worse!

If you like the Brumbies, get to as many games as you can, cause as Schifty said, they're slowly packing their bags for a move down south for a final hurrah before disappearing completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

OK, so the wallabies arent doing great at the moment, that doesnt mean the country is ready to disown them. You can't compare the international level they are at to the kangaroos in league.

The results for international league and cricket alike have just became too consistant for anyone to care, your playing with yourselves at the moment.

If your going to spend time watching a sport, it would be nice not to know the outcome before the game starts.

I can imagine in the near future when an entire crowd is disrupted when they notice a wall with a wet coat of paint on it. Then again thats just my opinion, take it how you'de like.

Default Storm cools on pricey Lote

Storm cools on pricey Lote
    January 26, 2007

GOLD Coast Titans is poised to step up the bid to woo Lote Tuqiri back to rugby league, the fledging club preparing to table a formal offer to the Australia rugby wing next month.

On the same day Melbourne Storm officials ruled the club out of the race for Tuqiri's prized signature, Titans managing director Michael Searle confirmed his club remained heavily interested in recruiting the former Brisbane Broncos star once his contract with the Australian Rugby Union expires after this year's Rugby World Cup.

Searle met Tuqiri's manager Les Ross at the Titans' offices yesterday and emerged confident the Fijian-born star was genuinely interested in a return to the 13-man code.

With plenty of room to move within the $4 million salary cap after the loss of Great Britain international Brian Carney and Storm winger Steve Turner, the Titans will table their offer within the next six weeks.

"It was a very productive meeting and we will certainly be taking things to the next level and submit a formal offer for Lote to consider," Searle said.

"It gave us a chance to let him know what the Titans are about as an organisation as well as listen to what he had to say.

"We both laid our cards on the table and we believe he is sincere about wanting to come back to the NRL, which would just be sensational for the game."

Searle said the chance for Tuqiri to move wife Rebekka and 18-month-old son Samson closer to family in Queensland was another factor which would aid the Titans' ambitious bid.

"With a young family the fact he wouldn't be overseas for long periods throughout the year, as would be the case if he stayed in union, is something we discussed," Searle said.

"Most of their family lives up this way and there is also the advantage of being able to bring up a young family in an environment like the Gold Coast."

While the Titans remain keen, Tuqiri's asking price is eating away at his potential suitors in rugby league, with Melbourne yesterday confirming it had withdrawn its interest in the star outside back.

The Victorian club held informal discussions over the prospect of recruiting Tuqiri but was scared away by his contract demands, believed to be in the vicinity of $800,000 a season.

While Tuqiri's profile would have been a huge boost for last year's grand finalist, it would also have been financially irresponsible for the club to outlay that amount of money on an outside back.

"We would have been interested because he would have been good for the game down here," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said.

"But given the pay structure we have, with a number of representative players, it's not economically viable."

Melbourne's decision is symptomatic of the sceptical feeling within rugby league that Tuqiri is using the code to drive up his price in rugby.

One club official told The Australian that Tuqiri's management had indicated he had no interest in accepting a pay cut to return to the game, meaning if his demands were met, he would become the highest paid player in the code.

While Tuqiri is a genuine superstar, even his ability pales in comparison to Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns, regarded as two of the greatest players of their era.

The only outside back earning that sort of money is St George-Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier. Gasnier, however, will start this season at five-eighth as the Dragons look to make better use of his talents. That option would not be available to a club signing Tuqiri.

Also on the Gold Coast yesterday, the final chapter of the long-running Turner feud came to an end, with youngsters Daniel Isaac and Smith Samau agreeing to terms with the Titans.

The duo was offered as part of a trade to allow Turner to remain at Melbourne, with Searle formalising Turner's release last night and ending the saga which has dragged on for almost six months.

Source: foxsports.com.au

While Tuqiri is a genuine superstar, even his ability pales in comparison to Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns, regarded as two of the greatest players of their era.
    I dunno, imo he's right up there. Hes definately not better than Locky, but maybe the current Joey.

The only outside back earning that sort of money is St George-Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier. Gasnier, however, will start this season at five-eighth as the Dragons look to make better use of his talents. That option would not be available to a club signing Tuqiri.
    And why would not that option be available?
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    I dunno, imo he's right up there. Hes definately not better than Locky, but maybe the current Joey.
    But he's a wing/centre mate. Probably the best there is, but that not a Locky or Joey having the ball every set and controlling the game.

I'm not 100% sure why the option of moving Lote into the halves doesn't exist. I'm not fan of union so I haven't seen much of Lote the last couple years to be up to scratch on his abilities. I dunno if he's got the qualities needed to wear the 6 or 7. But I guess that isn't stopping Saints. Who knows, thats just one journo's opinion that Lote in the halves isn't an option. I'm sure Lote would be willing to try if he's willing to demand 800K a season. For that cash he should cover left and right wing on his own.

Nice Post there Sharkey.

In My honest opinion, if he comes back to league - he should be a full-back.
    [

Default Tuqiri may tour Rabbits' warren

Tuqiri may tour Rabbits' warren

By Stuart Honeysett
    February 09, 2007

THE intrigue surrounding the future of Lote Tuqiri continues with South Sydney poised to table a formal offer for the Australia rugby union winger.

The Rabbitohs have emerged as a serious candidate for the New South Wales Waratahs flyer after Souths co-owner Peter Holmes a Court impressed Tuqiri's business mentor, Les Ross, at a recent meeting.

Holmes a Court dined with Tuqiri before Christmas and is keen to get the former Brisbane Broncos wing to Redfern to tour the facilities.

The Rabbitohs co-owner is in the process of putting together an offer for Tuqiri although he declined to discuss any of the details.

"We hope we'll get an opportunity to put our best offer in front of Lote," Holmes a Court said yesterday.

"We want to meet with him, spend a bit more time with him, he's got to have faith in our facilities, he's got to have faith in how we train.

"I've said consistently through this process we know we have to continue to attract great players to our club and I put Lote in that category.

"But with regards to specific details of any negotiation with any player the only people that will be commenting on it will be the player's representative."

Ross also declined to elaborate on whether an offer was imminent but confirmed the meeting had been a positive one.

"I was very impressed with the plan that they have for South Sydney," Ross said.

"All of the creative strategies that they have to put South Sydney on the platform as a very professional rugby league football team whilst at the same time respecting the history of the Rabbitohs.

"I couldn't have been more impressed with his presentation."

It remains to be seen if the Rabbitohs could come up with a lucrative enough offer to lure Tuqiri away from rugby union although he has already turned down a $4 million package from the Australian Rugby Union.

That move suggested Tuqiri was genuine in his desire to return to the NRL and he already has several clubs queuing for his signature, with Gold Coast Titans also expected to have an offer on the table by the end of the month.

The Sharks and Sydney Roosters have also expressed interest while Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos are believed to be out of the hunt over concerns about Tuqiri's price tag.

Souths' bid could be hampered after the club went on an aggressive recruiting campaign last year, spending up big to lure Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi, Melbourne back rower David Kidwell, Parramatta utility Dean Widders and Cronulla centre Nigel Vagana.

However, working in their favour is the fact Holmes a Court and co-owner Russell Crowe have had great success in attracting sponsorship dollars to the club with Virgin Blue airlines jumping on board yesterday in a two-year deal worth at least $1 million.

With Firepower and Members Equity bank already signed on, that would provide Souths with options to pad out Tuqiri's deal with a $50,000 sponsorship arrangement under salary cap guidelines.

"We may not be the team that can pay the most, we may not be the team that can offer the most and if that's the case we always wish players the best in their professional career," Holmes a Court said.

He also said he hadn't given up hope of signing Bulldogs star backrower Sonny Bill Williams following a meeting with Williams's manager, Gavin Orr.

It is doubtful the Rabbitohs could lure both names to the club and The Australian understands Williams already has a half a million dollar offer on the table from the Bulldogs.

"I have a personality that makes me believe we have a chance in all circumstances," Holmes a Court said.

Threads Merged, it pays to use the search function to have a look for the dedicated thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace
    Threads Merged, it pays to use the search function to have a look for the dedicated thread.
    Hey Grimmace
    I was going to ad this article earlier this afternoon, I knew there was a dedication thread for him, but I could'nt see it anywhere. I did a search..and it still did'nt show up. Could there be a problem, where some of the threads are'nt showing?

Admittedly i tried the search function and it didnt help much but you can still view all the topics posted here by looking back over the forum, but it still pays to look through the forum itself.

Admittedly i tried the search function and it didnt help much but you can still view all the topics posted here by looking back over the forum, but it still pays to look through the forum itself.
    Sorry my bad mate. I didnt use the search function.

Yeah Grimmace...Maybe it's more my computer...Sometimes when I reply to a topic..it ends up in a different thread?
    I did search through the General Rugby League forum, but still was unable to locate the thread.